Sea voyage terminology

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Sea voyage terminology

Post by Renu G »

The language is typically characteristic of sea voyages with regard to technical as well as colloquial words. “Aft,” “mooring winches,” etc., are so new to me that I had to often look into the dictionary.

What was your experience with terminology in this book? Could you mention some of the words you didn't understand? :techie-studyingbrown:
Did they make you laugh or smile or feel irritated?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

For me, most of the words used to describe the sea vessels were fairly new. The word that was repeated mostly and almost became annoying was 'aft'. I must confess that there was a constant urge to refer to the dictionary.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I learned a few words from this book and mainly in the first three chapters, but nothing made me laugh, smile or get irritated.
Renu G
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 06:15 I learned a few words from this book and mainly in the first three chapters, but nothing made me laugh, smile or get irritated.
I too learnt a few words but soon forgot them! I felt rather amused with their strangeness.
Renu G

Post by Renu G »

Kibetious wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 06:14 For me, most of the words used to describe the sea vessels were fairly new. The word that was repeated mostly and almost became annoying was 'aft'. I must confess that there was a constant urge to refer to the dictionary.
I actually referred to the dictionary often out of curiosity. I couldn't move forward without knowing the meaning of the strange words.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was familiar with the more basic nautical terms but there were quite a few new ones for me too. None of them caused me to have an emotional reaction.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I'm a nautical novice - I knew nothing about anything. While reading, I repeatedly got a feeling of "yes, mmmhmmm, that sounds boaty", without having any idea what was actually happening. I think I might have followed the details better if I had bothered to look up the words I didn't know, but I guess I didn't care enough to study. The relevant details were explained well enough that I could follow the plot.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

I referred to the dictionary and double checked the nautical terms that the author used wisely for this incredible story. It did not interrupt my reading at all. In my opinion, the terminology helped to describe the story more accurately. I did have to look up the word "aft."
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

CatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:09 I was familiar with the more basic nautical terms but there were quite a few new ones for me too. None of them caused me to have an emotional reaction.
My nautical knowledge is about the same. The only reaction I really had was something along the lines of "oh cool!" after learning a new term.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I basically just ignored the nautical vocabulary and focused more on the story. It didn't bother me, but it did show that the author was used to the terms since he had experience on boats himself.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I did have to reach for the dictionary when nautical terms showed up, but they didn't bother me. I do wish the author has included footnotes explaining their meanings to save us from looking them up though.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 22:48 I did have to reach for the dictionary when nautical terms showed up, but they didn't bother me. I do wish the author has included footnotes explaining their meanings to save us from looking them up though.
I agree! It would've saved time and effort, and spared one the distraction of having to interrupt reading to look up the words.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

The technical jargon made me keep the dictionary by my side as I am not much familiar with marine terminology.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I also had a hard time with the sea jargons. I wished that the author could have explained them even once, even of its just in context.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I had a hard time understanding the technical terms as well especially at the chapter where the Warhorse crew were attaching lines to the Seattle Express. Some of the terms I looked up in the dictionary, but there were so many of them I had to go with the context clues instead. Still, I thought those nautical terms gave the book a distinct personality and I enjoyed every part of it.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”