Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Post by Renu G »

What are your thoughts about Louise and Larry competing with the owner's tugs and managing to steal the boat?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Technically, they weren't stealing. That's how the salvage tows work. The first one to secure the abandoned boat gets to tow it and make a claim on its contents. The insurance pays them for the recovered boat and items. At least that's how it works in the U.S.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The couple were zealous entrepreneurs, though their business didn't seem to give them enough. Trying to steal the ship revealed their greed and desperation to save their business.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Nerea wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 12:33 The couple were zealous entrepreneurs, though their business didn't seem to give them enough. Trying to steal the ship revealed their greed and desperation to save their business.
They weren't trying to steal it. It is how the abandoned ship industry works. If all people on the boat come off due to an emergency, it's an abandoned ship. Tug rescue operations try to be the first to get there to claim it and earn the money for the rescue.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

Larry and Louise were taking a risk when they set out to rescue the Express. They did not know what they were going to find. This was a risk that they felt they needed to take. They needed the "big payday" to keep their business afloat. It was a gutsy move something they felt they had to do.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sure showed that they were tenacious and fearless. Since it was so dangerous, stormy, and cold, I kept thinking just let them have it! I also had the feeling that it seemed like stealing, yet the maritime laws must be different than the general public's thinking on abandoned ships and boats.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I thought it was fair game once the Seattle Express was already abandoned. Too bad that it had cost Larry's life but they won that race.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

They were certainly betting all they had on it. Warhorse was older and slower than Buckhorn's tugs, but they had a head start. Their action isn't considered stealing though. According to maritime law, any abandoned ship is a free claim, and anyone who gets a line on it a bring it to dock is entitled to a reward.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

CatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:05 Technically, they weren't stealing. That's how the salvage tows work. The first one to secure the abandoned boat gets to tow it and make a claim on its contents. The insurance pays them for the recovered boat and items. At least that's how it works in the U.S.
I am also in for this idea. Technically, they did not steal. The announcement came in and they decided to try their luck in towing it back.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The ones who seem to be on the wrong side were the owners of the Buckhorn tugs. Larry and the other crew faced a lot of threats from them. This was an opportunity that they found and made good use of it. I am, therefore, of the opinion that they did not steal the ship. It was work.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I didn't see it as them stealing the boat. They got there first, it was their haul.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

Well, it doesn't seem stealing to me. An abandoned ship is fair game, though it does raise the question if bringing it to the docks warrants a reward or an investigation?
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with the above notes that it wasn't stealing because it is legal since it was abandoned.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

CatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:05 Technically, they weren't stealing. That's how the salvage tows work. The first one to secure the abandoned boat gets to tow it and make a claim on its contents. The insurance pays them for the recovered boat and items. At least that's how it works in the U.S.
Oh, I didn't know about this. At first, it was a bit greedy but I thought it was abandoned so no biggie. And thanks for giving this information, everything made sense now. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

At first I kind of felt like they were stealing it, but as I read on I saw that this wasn’t the case. I can’t imagine how hard salvaging ships would be. Aside from the elements, securing the ship and making sure no one does anything under handed to take it from you would be really hard work. It was interesting to learn about this. I never really thought much about what happens to abandoned ships. I guess I assumed that whoever owns them would go get them if they wanted to recover them. I enjoyed learning while reading a good story too.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”