Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Post by unamilagra »

I found this practice to be extremely interesting. I would think that each shipping company would contract with a certain tug service so there weren't these races. I guess it could be that the boat has an issue out of the tugboat's range though, and it's not like companies have time to send out RFPs when their boat sinks. It just seems so chaotic and dangerous for multiple boats to be heading out in bad weather chasing the same ship.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

unamilagra wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 19:46 I found this practice to be extremely interesting. I would think that each shipping company would contract with a certain tug service so there weren't these races. I guess it could be that the boat has an issue out of the tugboat's range though, and it's not like companies have time to send out RFPs when their boat sinks. It just seems so chaotic and dangerous for multiple boats to be heading out in bad weather chasing the same ship.
This is an interesting proposal. I do not know why the idea of having the other tugs compete for the job is interesting. In a way the business seems to be developed and has its own rules though it comes with great risks too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It showed that both Larry and Louise were strong business people who did not hesitate to take a risk to say their business.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Nerea wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 12:33 The couple were zealous entrepreneurs, though their business didn't seem to give them enough. Trying to steal the ship revealed their greed and desperation to save their business.
They weren't stealing the ship, they went out there to bring it back, and they put themselves at risk of not getting there on time and wasting all they put into the trip. I think greed is a very strong and negative word to use here. I agree they were trying to save their business, but I don't consider them greedy. I would consider Buckhorn greedy for trying even to evade paying them out, being the multimillion company that they are.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I think they were very brave to even try that. Not being sure about the ship's condition, if it really were abandoned, taking into consideration the weather and the time of the year, and at that having to compete with Buckhorn's tugs. I just don't understand why you'd say they stole the ship. It was up for grabs, and they happened to win, fair and square. Paid the highest price possible as well.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I don't think it was actually stealing. I think that is how it works in their company, they answered the call and they got there first.
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

I don't think they were stealing it, it was a claim, it's how salvage boats make profits I believe.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I just felt like they were doing whatever they could and all that they could to save their business and themselves. And, like others have mentioned, it isn't technically stealing since it's how towing works, and especially because it would defeat the purpose of their reasoning if what they were doing was illegal.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I would not say that they stole the ship. It seems like that is a common way for tugs to get salvage work. The scene where Louise and Larry were talking to the CoastGuard solidified the fact that it was commonplace for me. So, I would not consider it stealing. I do not actually know if this is just for the novel or if it is a real occurrence.
By salvaging the ship, I thought it created a contract with the owner of the vessel being towed. (I think) But I don't think of it as stealing. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

While Louise was operating the tugboat, the claim for the custody of the Seattle Express was in question. While the actions of both
Larry and Louise were motivated by business debt, the maritime laws for the shipping area of the northern Pacific Ocean are complicated.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

They were not really stealing but were competing to get there first because they could really use the money and their excitement of just getting back to the sea doing the same old stuff that they loved doing was enough for me to get excited for them
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

I think they rightfully deserved it as it was an open bid and bragging rights came with how fast you could move and tow the ship.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Azrevread wrote: 07 May 2019, 12:43 While Louise was operating the tugboat, the claim for the custody of the Seattle Express was in question. While the actions of both
Larry and Louise were motivated by business debt, the maritime laws for the shipping area of the northern Pacific Ocean are complicated.
Although the plot in the novel Adrift is a fictional tale, there are referrals to real maritime subjects and I think that the idea of
the characters Larry and Louise stealing the Seattle Express would be decided by a court case with the use of maritime laws to prove
whether the ship was stolen or not.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

The way it was explained, it doesn't seem to be theft. I'm not super clued in or educated on the matter, but a lot of other people on this thread also are saying it isn't theft and is allowed. I completely understand why they had to go out and get it as soon as they could.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

It was a tough and very risky choice..and it was for a good cause, so, it is much likeable.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”