The value of William?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

The value of William?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The crew of the second lifeboat land on a coast of the Charlottes. Their situation although improved would still be considered dire. What was the major contribution William made to the camp? (From storytelling and scouting for wood, to risking his life to call for help)
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Everything that William did was pivotal. However, instructing everyone on survival techniques, and risking his life were the most important according to me.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I think William give them hope, even at times it seemed like it was just an illusion of hope. Through his stories, it helped them believe in something and also helped them pass time. Also his instinct to pick Anne to go with him to get help was the most important one. If it was anybody else, it could have ended another way.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

William risking his own life to call for help was the most significant contribution for me.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I felt he had a stabilizing affect on everyone, keeping them calm and giving them hope, but I agree that the most important thing he did was go for help.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I agree with them here that his ability to keep people calm during those times was the most important contribution he did. I mean, in a group, it is important to be calm and rational, because one stray hair could actually lead the group to disaster. If one of them decided to go solo and panic, others would have followed and they could have not survived. I always believe that during a life and death situation, the mind plays an important role in keeping you alive.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

William was their informal leader. He brought calmness to the group. Others respected him and most followed his directions on how to survive, as a group. Even Randall respected him. He instilled the will to survive for many.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

Everything William did was important. He taught the others how to survive. He helped them take their mind off of the situation with his story. He gave some of the others advice in how to deal with the group. He inspired hope in others. He gave Anne the confidence to accompany him on the hard journey to find help. Most importantly, he went to find help himself. He could have easily sent others out to find help. He could have used the excuse that he was needed to help the group survive. Instead he chose to risk his life to give all of them the best chance for survival.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Smiley 25 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 00:00 Everything William did was important. He taught the others how to survive. He helped them take their mind off of the situation with his story. He gave some of the others advice in how to deal with the group. He inspired hope in others. He gave Anne the confidence to accompany him on the hard journey to find help. Most importantly, he went to find help himself. He could have easily sent others out to find help. He could have used the excuse that he was needed to help the group survive. Instead he chose to risk his life to give all of them the best chance for survival.
I agree him braving the harsh land in order to look for help was amazing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 10:00 William was their informal leader. He brought calmness to the group. Others respected him and most followed his directions on how to survive, as a group. Even Randall respected him. He instilled the will to survive for many.
I think it was kind of strange they looked to him for guidance and they still doubted his retelling of Sarah's adventures in Olympic Park.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:30 I think William give them hope, even at times it seemed like it was just an illusion of hope. Through his stories, it helped them believe in something and also helped them pass time. Also his instinct to pick Anne to go with him to get help was the most important one. If it was anybody else, it could have ended another way.
Hope was the most important thing they needed while they were stranded.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

His stories were inspirational. His decision to leave in search of help was also instrumental. He might not have arrived at his destination, but it showed that he was interested in the survival of his friends.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I sort of feel like William was seen as a calming beckon, as in because of his age (he was the oldest out the group, I think) he came off as most mature and with the most experience both in sailing and in camping. The rest of the souvenirs naturally looked to him for those reasons, I think his life experiences gave an advantage into leadership. When he spoke just about everyone paid attention. He provided a role as a guide and provided invaluable advice to the actual second mate.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

William was the father figure for the survivors of the second boat, he kept the team relaxed with his stories and was even brave enough to go out and get help. William als sheds light to the previous book Strong hu heart.
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

William supported the crew in many ways in terms of motivating and guiding them. However, risking his life to call for help is the one that stands out for me. His decision to take Anne with him also proved to be the correct step.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”