Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 13:55 Larry's wake, most definitely! I really loved Larry's character and was gutted by his death. What Buckhorn did was so egregious, it teeters on being pure evil!
They are pure evil.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Throughout the book, the Buckhorn Corporation has shown that it has dubious business practices.
The corporation sent the Seattle Express on an ocean voyage when there were signs of disrepair.
In one segment, the corporation promised the Haida Gwaii tribe several perks that could help the
tribe's economy while not explaining to them how they would help to preserve the tribe's land and
culture.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 10:07 I am still considering how Buckhorn was portrayed in Strong Heart and their portrayal in this book. I think in the first book, the company was somehow still hidden. At this point, they are ready to use all forms of enticements to advance their work of mining.
I agree. They were nasty but sneaky in Strong Heart (which I felt was a much better book, btw), but they now obviously have confidence coming from somewhere we don't know about. Maybe we will find out in the next book.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I think the most antagonistic thing Buckhorn has done is getting the local tribe to give them mining rights for the erbium in the state park (I think that was the mineral). I feel like that has more consequences than blaming Captain Steve or trying to force Louise hand to sell her business and land would have. :( :( :(
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

It sounds like Buckhorn was the biggest company and didn't care about their people and the people need the work so not much was said.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

CatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 08:39 Buckhorn's most antagonist act actually occurred in Strong Heart, when they used violence to get their way. In Adrift, I'd say that it was their effort to pin the accident on Captain Steve.
I agree with both your statements. On both occasions, they not only showed cruelty, but also dishonesty. Nothing can stop them from reaching their goals, even if it means destroying others.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think showing up at the wake was the downright most disrespectful thing they could have done. They weren't friends or even on good terms with Larry or Louise prior to Larry's death, and no matter how important they thought getting the tug was, a little human empathy might not have been remiss. This is why I think that something on the tug could potentially ruin their company, especially with all the suspicions surrounding it to begin with.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 06:13 Buckhorn has carried out some very questionable acts in the course of this book;
▪Forcing the Express to continue work even though no repairs had been made to the sensors.
▪Trying to put the blame of the fire in the Express on captain Steve when they know the sensors had not been repaired.
▪Sending their tugs to harrass the crew of the Warhorse even after Larry was injured abord the Express.
▪Showing up at Larry's wake to inform Louise that they will fight her claim on the Express.
And many other such examples throughout the book.

In your honest opinion, what was the most antagonistic act carried out by Buckhorn?
I think every single act you mentioned was extremely antagonistic. To add to that, I think there was something shady going on, on the ship, which I wish Travis had uncovered. Plus, they wanted Louise's house and mine some places with God knows what kind of harmful effects it would bring.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”