Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 23:56
CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 10:04
vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:23 For me, Buckhorn is a character lacking any kind of remorse, so even though showing up at Larry's wake to contest the rights of the ship is the most deplorable, it is but another offense in his long list of actions.
Buckhorn is a corporation, not an individual character.
Nice correction. They're more like Society of Evil.
Most definitely!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

Buckhorn is the worst kind of corporation there is. They break all the rules, cut corners, then put the blame on Steve who did his best to save his crew. It’s appaling that they would show up at Larry’s wake to inform Louise that they would fight her claim. I can’t decide which is the worst. I love that Louise decides to keep her business and basically tells Buckhorn to shove it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 23:08 Buckhorn is the worst kind of corporation there is. They break all the rules, cut corners, then put the blame on Steve who did his best to save his crew. It’s appaling that they would show up at Larry’s wake to inform Louise that they would fight her claim. I can’t decide which is the worst. I love that Louise decides to keep her business and basically tells Buckhorn to shove it.
I have questions about the secret cargo they were ferrying on the express.
Smiley 25

Post by Smiley 25 »

Yes. Me too. I hope the author goes more into that in his next book. What was so important that they would disable, or not fix the sensors, and risk the lives of everyone on board. I’m also hoping to see this Mark character held accountable for his obvious involvement.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Smiley 25 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 00:31 Yes. Me too. I hope the author goes more into that in his next book. What was so important that they would disable, or not fix the sensors, and risk the lives of everyone on board. I’m also hoping to see this Mark character held accountable for his obvious involvement.
Plus, i'm hoping they reveal the secret cargo and force Buckhorn to pay the claim to Louise.
Smiley 25

Post by Smiley 25 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 03:31
Smiley 25 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 00:31 Yes. Me too. I hope the author goes more into that in his next book. What was so important that they would disable, or not fix the sensors, and risk the lives of everyone on board. I’m also hoping to see this Mark character held accountable for his obvious involvement.
Plus, i'm hoping they reveal the secret cargo and force Buckhorn to pay the claim to Louise.
Oooh...that would be great! That secret cargo is intriguing. Not to mention the fact that Buckhorn is already taking stuff off of the ship and doing repairs before the Coast Guard has had a chance to do their investigation. It sounds like they are trying to cover their tracks. It's so hard waiting for the next book in an exciting series like this one.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Smiley 25 wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 23:45
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 03:31
Oooh...that would be great! That secret cargo is intriguing. Not to mention the fact that Buckhorn is already taking stuff off of the ship and doing repairs before the Coast Guard has had a chance to do their investigation. It sounds like they are trying to cover their tracks. It's so hard waiting for the next book in an exciting series like this one.
Soo many questions. I hope Pete snitches on them, he looks like he will be happy to and he can get access to the shipment on the docks.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

Buckhorn most outrageous mistake would be trying to blame captain Steve for the accident yet they wouldn't repair the sensors of the ship. The organization doesn't stop there of a days they choose Larry's burial to confront Louise, they are a reflection of the rot in society.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 04:14 Buckhorn most outrageous mistake would be trying to blame captain Steve for the accident yet they wouldn't repair the sensors of the ship. The organization doesn't stop there of a days they choose Larry's burial to confront Louise, they are a reflection of the rot in society.
That's every organisation looking to cut costs, but showing up at Larry’s wake to inform Louise that they are going to dispute her claim on tugging the Express! After her husband died to tug their ship, that's messed up.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

You have to be a special kind cruel to show up at a dead man's widows home trying to intimidate her after everything she's been through. They tugged the boat fair and square.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 16:44 You have to be a special kind cruel to show up at a dead man's widows home trying to intimidate her after everything she's been through. They tugged the boat fair and square.
I agree 100%
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I agree that the sensors and going to Louise during the funeral was horrendous. To their long list of offenses, I also think the destruction of the cultural artifacts from the mining site so the tribe has no evidence was also terrible.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

EllieLieberman wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 14:20 I agree that the sensors and going to Louise during the funeral was horrendous. To their long list of offenses, I also think the destruction of the cultural artifacts from the mining site so the tribe has no evidence was also terrible.
Wow, I had almost forgotten that last one.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:23 For me, Buckhorn is a character lacking any kind of remorse, so even though showing up at Larry's wake to contest the rights of the ship is the most deplorable, it is but another offense in his long list of actions.
I like that "Society of Evil" to describe Buckhorn. They racked up a long list of evil offenses, like messing with the ship and not paying Steve. I think their treatment of Louise was highlighted in this book. They have to destroy her and break up the crew so there won't be anyone around to report on the suspicious containers. Steve was easier to get rid of since he was on their payroll and they could threaten to (falsely) prosecute him. That left Louise. Showing up at the wake just made my stomach turn!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 22:18

I like that "Society of Evil" to describe Buckhorn. They racked up a long list of evil offenses, like messing with the ship and not paying Steve. I think their treatment of Louise was highlighted in this book. They have to destroy her and break up the crew so there won't be anyone around to report on the suspicious containers. Steve was easier to get rid of since he was on their payroll and they could threaten to (falsely) prosecute him. That left Louise. Showing up at the wake just made my stomach turn!
Society of evil indeed. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”