Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Rosebella wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:56 I think in reality it isn't plausible. Hypothermia kills quickly most times despite the age or overall fitness of a person. This ending only possible in the fictional world.
Well, as I have come to know, it is possible though rare. However, William's age leaves a question there. I would consider it a miracle.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Shirayuki Hime wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 19:55 Same, I consider the ending plausible, with a great determination we can accomplish our journey.
Determination and faith did play a role in William's survival.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 21:27 I’m not sure if this is plausible. I agree with previous comments that some can survive in extreme cold, but for several days, injures, and starving? I don’t know. Plus, the temperature is ten degrees colder next to water. William was near a stream, so it would have been even colder. I’m glad he did survive in the story, but I’m not sure if it would have been possible in real life.
I think the same. Despite a few misgivings, I am really glad that he survived.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 03:25
briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:10 It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I have always been taught that the longer people stay in place for long, it is more they adapt. It is something that happens in nature which could explain why William survived since he had been born here. This assertion, therefore, is true and valid.
You do a have a point there. It must be William's roots that came to his aid.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 03:28
Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 22:41 I think it is definitely possible. We hear all the time how someone lived that shouldn’t have. How someone miraculously pulled through when all medical reasoning says they shouldn’t. Also, as others have mentioned above, spirituality and faith play a large role as well. It was believable enough that I didn’t immediately dismiss it when I read it.
This is true. Some things defy the laws of nature and cannot be explained. Maybe this was the intention of the author. Perhaps this was evident from Sarah's faith too that William would be found alive.
Sarah's faith did foreshadow William's survival.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

daviddawud wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 18:15 I think the ending seems plausible. It depends on an individual capabilities. Thank you for bringing up the issue though.
Welcome.

I agree that it depends on an individual's capabilities. However, William's age and condition made me do a double take.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ralibeau wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 23:11 Myra saw him in a vision and he told her that he was waiting for her. Based on that I think his will to be alive for his daughter may very well keep him that way.
This a very pertinent point. His will among other things surely helped him.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Samy Lax wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 00:35 Could this happen? Possibly. But taking his age into consideration, it becomes a little less believable.
This was the thing that came to my mind.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:37 I think that it is plausible. This can be considered as a miracle, coupled with a strong faith and a strong desire to survive. In terms of survival, when the mind is strong, it influences the body to follow through to what the mind desires.
I think that is a very plausible and positive thought. Miracles do happen in real life.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Galesphere wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:54 I don't think it's a plausible ending...saying that, though, so many things that happen in life aren't plausible. Miracles happen everyday, and maybe that's what Sheldon was trying to communicate to his readers. Sometimes the impossible becomes a possibility. It doesn't matter what religious background a person has, miracles occur, even in real life.
Miracles happen everyday, and maybe that's what Sheldon was trying to communicate to his readers. Sometimes the impossible becomes a possibility. It doesn't matter what religious background a person has, miracles occur, even in real life.
That is definitely somethi g to ponder upon. I think Sheldon may very well have the intention of showing that.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:46 I think the ending is plausible, though highly unlikely. I wonder if William's experience with living on that island in his younger days, would also give his body a better shot at surviving. Also, him having a tarp over him to keep him dry had to help. Being totally soaked would have ruined his chances for sure.
Yeah, the tarp did improve his chances. I do think that his experiences in the land did have a role in his survival.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Radiant3 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 14:32 I think it was plausible in this situation. Since spirituality and faith were important factors in William's life maybe they helped to tip the scale in favor of his survival.
That may have been the case. Spirituality and faith did have a role to play.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 05:56
Ralibeau wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 23:11 Myra saw him in a vision and he told her that he was waiting for her. Based on that I think his will to be alive for his daughter may very well keep him that way.
Faith can make somethings that seem impossible become possible. It seems that Sarah, and also Myra had unshakeable believe that William would survive. William also was one person who would not give up easily.
It was will, faith, love, and spirituality that played a role in his survival.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Shielasshi_93 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 20:18 Well there are a lot of sci fi books that preserve a person in a freezer to.prolong their life, so maybe this is possible. And like what you say William's spirituality plays a big role.
I have seen that trend in sci-fi as well. So maybe that is possible.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 02:42 The end does not seem plausible to me. The author maybe simply wants to provide a happy ending without caring about the realism of the end.
Well, it was a happy ending which I did like. Also, I have come to no that it maybe possible in reality, though the chances are rare. I would consider it a miracle.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”