Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Re: Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Anthony__ »

The book shows great sense of hope. At the end, they all were joyful. This shows that there is always a shiny light in the end of the tunnel.
PalmTreeWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmtreewolf.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by PalmTreeWolf »

I had the same question when I finished. It felt like an improbable Hollywood ending where a more realistic and stoic outcome was needed. William, I felt, would be perfectly fine sacrificing himself heroically, or else found much sooner or even alive and well living in a temporary shelter. Sheldon pushed a little too hard to paint William's survival as impossible, even misdirecting with the boat to the afterlife vision, or the weight of Williams sacrifice and definitive death would have been a better choice.
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

Was the ending plausible? To me it wasn't first of all you can't slap someone out of hypothermia, it will only cause life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias in the person... so that part definitely wasn't plausible... and secondly for her to come out of a hypothermia induced coma and remember specific compass directions that she had traveled exactly... is way fictional... she would mostl likely be postitcal (such as when someone comes out of a seizure meaning they are very sleepy and groggy and unable to even be aware of their environment for a while... even a few hard slaps to the face would not help... coming out of a coma she would most likely have some brain impairment especially memory. Plus William was buried in snow, and wasn't it still either raining or snowing? Exposure would have killed him in less than three days being unable to move at all. For a happy ending it was fine for reality finding a needle in a haystack? Not likely.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Although the story of is a fictional saga, I take into consideration that unexpected events happen.
To me, the last three chapters of the book seemed more like a prequel to a sequel to Adrift.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

In some cases I might think that there's a chance for it to be plausible, but for this one I'm not sure. William was older and not in the best health to start off with. Then he got injured, and based off his injury I don't believe he'd be able to move very far. He was already starving and freezing, and now is immobile and was out there for little over a week. So while I'm happy he somehow survived, I'm not sure I quite believe it.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I want to believe that the ending was plausible. Sergei said that some believed people had the ability to hibernate, but then lost that ability. That put the idea it could happen into my head while reading. I think that it is possible that he was still barely alive when they found him but possibly passed away while they tried to reanimate him. It was still a few hours before they could get him to the hospital for the actual hypothermia treatment. A part of me thinks he died in transport, the other part is so happy they found him. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was absolutely convinced he was dead and completely ready to accept it when they found him. I was very surprised when he survived, and I think because I had been convinced it felt a little 'miraculous' to me that he was alive. I don't think it was impossible, but I didn't expect it at all.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Possible but not probable. In real life William probably wouldn't survive. David Goggins would probably survive. Willian? I don't think so.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Even in the real world, unexpected things do happen. Therefore, I think the ending is plausible because it is very much possible for things to turn out that way in real situations.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Could a human being actually survive in the situation that William was in, lying out in the cold for days on end with no heat and no food? I kind of doubt it, but some incredible things do happen in real life so I’m not going to rule it out as impossible. I think the author was trying to make a point about the strength of the human spirit.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I believe the ending was plausible. William's character had the will to survive and that IS survival. The power of the human mind is an amazing thing. It can get you through things you didn't know you could get through.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

If you have never been in a situation where you are so helpless and the only hope you have is to continue to think that a better turn will definately come. It is that and death. Those that choose to hold that faith often live to tell about it. Well..., if you have never encountered this you can dispute this statement and its understandable.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I think the end of the story was plausible, only the writer had provided more details for his survival, but at least it gave the story a happy ending and a moral of team spirit. :roll2:
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

Actually, when I reached the end of the story, I think there could be another sequel to the book. Of course, I was happy that William is still alive. But I was yearning to know more what would happen to the characters. I guess they made that much impression to me.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I think it's plausible. Outlandish things like this have happened, unlikely as they are. Great question!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”