Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

DogoMulla wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:11 Very much so! Charlie did not bombard us with unnecessary details; such as the law suit and Buckhorn's mining endeavors. I have to admit there has to be some suspense there. Might there be a third to the Strong Heart series?
I sure hope there is one. I would love to know the whereabouts of the characters.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 04:01 It was highly plausible given the tragic events in the story,a happy ending served well. The faith of Sarah and Myra couldn't go to waste either.
It did make the book better. I guess I could not take William's death, especially after Larry's fatal accident.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Michgal 32 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 14:52 The ending was plausible to me, especially given that I expected to see William back in the main land. Then suddenly 'the end'
Yeah, it was a bit open-ended.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

I think that it is plausible. This can be considered as a miracle, coupled with a strong faith and a strong desire to survive. In terms of survival, when the mind is strong, it influences the body to follow through to what the mind desires.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I don't think it's a plausible ending...saying that, though, so many things that happen in life aren't plausible. Miracles happen everyday, and maybe that's what Sheldon was trying to communicate to his readers. Sometimes the impossible becomes a possibility. It doesn't matter what religious background a person has, miracles occur, even in real life.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I think the ending is plausible, though highly unlikely. I wonder if William's experience with living on that island in his younger days, would also give his body a better shot at surviving. Also, him having a tarp over him to keep him dry had to help. Being totally soaked would have ruined his chances for sure.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 16:39 I was confused and heartbroken over William's death because I've really grown to care about him throughout the story, but Sarah discovers him alive I was over the moon. I had to re-read the passage a couple of times, it just seemed off since a few chapters back they counted him as dead but I guess this just adds to the drama.
Yeah, William seems like a fixture in the Strong Heart series. I was relieved that he lived in the end. Yeah, it did make it dramatical.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

janinewesterweel wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 03:40 I actually loved this ending. There's still just enough mystery to carry us into the third book of the series for some more in-depth explanation of his survival (or maybe not, after all?). I think it ties in perfectly with his tribal connections, his experience and his skills, as well as with the absolute faith that Sarah had in finding him still alive, and with Myra's determination to find him, no matter what the outcome. This all made it slightly mystical, even if it might not be probable or possible.
I liked the ending too, but I did have a doubt about its probability. I dont think there will be an in-depth explanation about his survival, though I would like to know William's thoughts on it.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ekta Kumari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 16:02 Great topic. I think it is plausible considering William's mental agility and the real life cases of survival in spite of extreme conditions. But he did have injuries, and for a person his age surviving in such extreme conditions does seem like a miracle. Nevertheless, I liked the ending. I think it was representative of the strength in a person's hope and willingness to not back down.
Thank you. :D

I liked it too, though it did seem like a miracle.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I think it was plausible in this situation. Since spirituality and faith were important factors in William's life maybe they helped to tip the scale in favor of his survival.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ralibeau wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 23:11 Myra saw him in a vision and he told her that he was waiting for her. Based on that I think his will to be alive for his daughter may very well keep him that way.
Faith can make somethings that seem impossible become possible. It seems that Sarah, and also Myra had unshakeable believe that William would survive. William also was one person who would not give up easily.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

Well there are a lot of sci fi books that preserve a person in a freezer to.prolong their life, so maybe this is possible. And like what you say William's spirituality plays a big role.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The end does not seem plausible to me. The author maybe simply wants to provide a happy ending without caring about the realism of the end.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I believe it was plausible he was not going to die without seeing or his daughter being there. Plus the fact that he was frozen I have before heard of people living after being frozen before.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kaylee123 wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:00 The ending seemed pretty unbelievable to me. Anne was almost dead, and she was found days before him. But, I really don't know much about medical things, so who knows how plausible it truly is?

That being said, I was very glad William was alive. He was a character that kept other people who were stranded going, and he was so brave to go try to get help. Also, he had so many people at home who cared about him and wanted him to return. Sarah's optimism, in particular, kept me hopeful.
Yup, I think that as well. His survival was a testimony to Sarah's faith and Myra's love.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”