Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Re: Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Post by Wambui-nj »

There might have been love because the married but it died on the way as Louise kept suspecting Larry's infidelity.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I kinda felt like all Louise knew to be was angry. She was pissed and irritated all the time.
Did she love Larry? I don't think so. She hears about his situation, his amputation, his death and she doesn't even blink? Even the strongest of people show some kind of feeling or reaction.
So, I think the relationship wasn't good, there was no trust (at least not on her side), and there was no feeling either. Just a hollow once-upon-a-time there relationship.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Louise and Larry loved each other. Louise suspected that Larry was cheating on but she still cared about him. I mean if she wasn't, Larry's accident wouldn't have moved him. She cared and thus why she felt bad when Larry was involved in an accident.
Books are beautiful.
SA2090
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by SA2090 »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 15:23 From the very beginning of the book, Louise had been suspecting Larry of infidelity. She evwn thought of cheating. Even after his death, she kept thinking that he cheated. Soon after his death, she came to know that Larry had always been faithful to her. In fact, he had been talking to the lawyer to dredge up some sort of bequest. When Louise came to know this, she was sad only for a short time. She became elated to find that Larry's death had left her with a lot of money with which she could pay off the mortgage, and give the crew their paychecks.

What do you think about her true feelings for Larry? Do share your thoughts.
Doubts about infidelity can damage any relationship and that is what might have happened.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I do not think that Louise had the purest affections for Larry. She was hardened in my opinion.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I agree that the stress of their situation would have put a damper in any relationship. Add to that the secrecy in which Larry was dealing with the female lawyer, and you can begin to see why Louise would be having doubts. If Larry had been upfront and honest with Louise, how would that have changed the story?
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think Louise and Larry were going through a part in their marriage that was tough on both of them, largely due to the lack of money and the worries that come with it. It was clear that when Larry died, she regretted her actions leading up to it after finding out about what he'd been doing. I wouldn't say that she wasn't grieving, as the happiness surrounding receiving the money also had a lot of gratitude and remorse thrown in. I would just say that she's maybe just hardened, though she could have treated Larry just a tad better.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I feel that Louise is the most misjudged character in the book. If she didn't love Larry, she wouldn't have cared whether he was cheating on her or not. After he was injured, she couldn't just leave her boat and go to him, she was responsible for getting them out especially with the Buckhorn people sniffing around. And she did feel remorse after Larry was injured for wishing terrible things on him. She also wasn't convinced that he wasn't cheating even after speaking to Nelson. All these emotions were too much for her to handle. Later, all the responsibilities of the business were on her shoulders. She had to keep everything afloat and take care of people. If she had broken down, others would too. So she stayed strong for them. Everyone grieves differently, maybe after everyone was gone it would truly hit her that Larry was gone and she'd cry.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Louise was not in love with Larry after she made up her strong suspicions about him. Every feeling she had for him became superficial, and she actually avoided contact with him in many parts of the book.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Louise suspected Larry of having an affair, that sort of insecurity had to come from somewhere. Although she is a strong woman she did count on Larry, he was her husband. She did know him well enough to know he would provide for his crew no matter what. But as far as their relationship goes, it was beginning to fall apart because they started doubting each other.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

I think it is money that caused the strife in their home, as it is in many homes.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think Louise's feelings for Larry had strings attached from the outset; if she truly loved him, then wishing him evil wouldn't be in the picture, especially because her claims were not concrete. She's the only 'true lover' I can think of who wouldn't go out of thier way to save the life of the one they love.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”