Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:30 I think she had built up so much resentment due to her suspicions that even the truth couldn't change how she felt about him at the end.
I must say that her resentment overpowered her love big time.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 20:47 I thought that Larry and Louise loved each other, and that the strain of the financial pressure they were under had pulled them apart. When Louise's brother asks her why she was being so cold to Larry, it points to the fact that her different treatment of Larry was palpable. As already mentioned, her suspicions of his unfaithfulness were to blame, but my point is if Louise was always that cold to Larry, her brother wouldn't have thought anything of it. Also, Larry believed in his wife's abilities. He chose to have faith in her even when he knew she was doubting him. Who knows, if Larry didn't have the accident, this trip may have rekindled their relationship.
I really wanted to see that happen. Also, I wanted to see how Louise made up for her misplaced insecurity. From the bits and parts we get about their past, it seems that at some point they had a pretty solid relationship.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Susmita Biswas wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 04:33 Insecurity is the biggest enemy of love. She had feelings for him but she always doubted Larry, so, when Larry died she made herself forget him very easily. Because the insecurity already made the feelings weak.
So true. It also made Louise's character weaker for me. If not for the whole insecurity part, she would be a pretty strong character.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

BuzzingQuill wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 14:08 I think it's in Louise's character to be jealous, I had my doubts that Larry had cheated on her as soon as he was confronted by Louise and answered 'no' when asked if he was cheating. I think she did love Larry its just that she was jealous by nature coupled with the fact that the two of them were close to financial ruin, you could see how that could put a strain on a relationship.
Financial ruin can definitely strain a good relationship. But, I think Louise went a bit overboard with her jealousy.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Vtonionline wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 03:33
CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 15:06
TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:33 If she didn't care, then she wouldn't be so worked up.
This! When others are saying she didn't love him or care, all I can think is, "she cared!" Someone who doesn't care just moves on and does what they need to do get out of the marriage.
I think she cared deeply and was hurt at the thought of his infidelity. She was shattered when she thought that her ill thoughts towards him brought him to his end. it's hard to disbelieve something that one has long believed in. So I get the way she did not believe her brother or even Suzie herself when they explained the real situation. I don't think she was prepping for a new relationship after the money came. She was staying in character as the strong woman she was.
All that is well and good. Also, I agree that she cared. But, she should have felt more remorse for all the uncalled insecurity she had.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:14
BuzzingQuill wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 14:08 I think it's in Louise's character to be jealous, I had my doubts that Larry had cheated on her as soon as he was confronted by Louise and answered 'no' when asked if he was cheating. I think she did love Larry its just that she was jealous by nature coupled with the fact that the two of them were close to financial ruin, you could see how that could put a strain on a relationship.
Financial ruin can definitely strain a good relationship. But, I think Louise went a bit overboard with her jealousy.
Yeah definitely! Louise is an innately jealous person, so it's easy for her to go overboard I guess
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kaylee123 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 15:33 I think Louise loved Larry but must have put up with a lot of dumb stuff he had done in the past. I wish she had confronted him and really gotten the whole story about his "cheating" before he died. She was a tough lady and didn't waste time getting too emotional after he died. I think she was sad but knew she had a job to do and other people to take care of.
She did ask Larry and Larry answered with a no. She still didn't believe him. She even believed others who told her the truth. Also, she was a tough lady, and the way she took care of everyone afterwards was admirable. Though, I still think that she should have felt remorse during her alone time.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Cotwani wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 16:58 It seems the couple had drifted apart. Their communication was non-existent. Louise was insecure and instead of sorting it out with her husband, chose to carry her hurt and perceived retaliation within her, making her selfish and insensitive. Larry was probably so used to her mood swings that he didn't bother to find out what was bothering her.
I think this is a fair description about their relationship. Lack of of trust and communication was the major issues in their relationship.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 06:08 Larry was a quiet man. Louise, on the other hand, is moderately straight forward in her questions. Due to her suspicion that Larry is cheating, she had thought of cheating to get even. This, however, is only a thought and she didn't push through this plan. This shows that she still loves Larry, and being jealous shows that she still cares for him.
Jealousy is often a sign of love. But here, I think Louise went overboard. Even after Larry's death and other people talking about his innocence, she kept doubting him until Suzzette herself came to her.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Galesphere wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:48 Yeah, I thought Louise should have been developed a little more. Obviously she had feelings for Larry, because she was jealous of his supposed infidelity. But somehow her sense of jealousy was stronger than her sense of loyalty and loss, because, man, she did NOT have much of a response toward her husband's death. You'd think that by the end of the novel, she'd have some sort of change of heart, but she didn't. She made Larry out to be a womanizing scoundrel, and she didn't seem sorry enough for her feelings once he passed away. It was kind of an "oh well" moment for her.

To be fair, though, Larry should have been more upfront with Louise and tried to fix their relationship. They both should have been less selfish and more communicative.

Wow, your thoughts matches mine to the T. Your description of Louise is on point. She could have been a great character. Lack of trust, communication, and loads of selfishness were the major issues in their relationship.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

kdstrack wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 22:56 Louise had a wall of anger against Larry. I have wondered if she was angry that her father gave Larry so much respect. Why did he let Larry take over the company and not give it to Louise? Was she jealous? Was the company the "other woman" and the imagined affair with Suzette just confirmed her anger. After Larry died and Louise found out about the insurance money, that just made her feel even more unworthy. Her father snubbed her when he let Larry take over and she never got over it. The whole thing soured their relationship and their marriage instead of drawing them together.
I think this is a very novel take, and it made me think about their relationship from an entirely different angle.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:00
Kajori50 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 15:23 From the very beginning of the book, Louise had been suspecting Larry of infidelity. She evwn thought of cheating. Even after his death, she kept thinking that he cheated. Soon after his death, she came to know that Larry had always been faithful to her. In fact, he had been talking to the lawyer to dredge up some sort of bequest. When Louise came to know this, she was sad only for a short time. She became elated to find that Larry's death had left her with a lot of money with which she could pay off the mortgage, and give the crew their paychecks.

What do you think about her true feelings for Larry? Do share your thoughts.
I think the feelings of betrayal for Louise stemmed from unyielding love and thinking Larry had fallen out of Love with her. For Larry his acts of looking for the documents in order to save the business and give Louise a better life proves his love (despite being accused of infidelity)
This is also related to the issue of whether or not Larry had seen the insurance policy and refused to reveal this in order to give Louise a better life and save their company. (Was Larry's accident a lie?)
I think the insurance policy was pure coincidence. I do not think Larry could have planned that gruesome of an accident. As for Louise, she should have had a more remorseful reaction at Larry's death, especially considering the fact that her jealousy was baseless.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:10 Her lack of affection for Lary made me question her true feelings too. She seamed unbothered and just appriciate that Lary left some few bills that could settle the owings. such an unlikable woman!
I would not say unlikable, considering her strength in other situations. But her reaction at Larry's death made her weak. It actually lowered my opinion about her. I mean how could she be so materialistic and guiltless...
Kajori Sheryl Paul

chiefsimplex wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 13:35 From the very first point, Louise and Larry's relationship was mentioned in the plot, I understood that theirs was a pathetic affair. What we are introduced to, is basically the ruins, a ridiculous farce of a relationship. Louise's aloofness is worrisome, she behaved like a third party to the relationship, so emotionally detached.
Exactly, she did seem like a third party. I couldn't help but compare them to Myra and Sergei. Though they met only recently, they had this incredible connection which is missing in Larry and Louise's relationship.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:28
Kajori50 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:03
Kibetious wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 08:25 To me, I would say that the fears before hearing that Larry was talking to the lawyer to sort some issues were well-founded. However, after being told about this, Louise still doubted Larry. I think that somehow her feelings for Larry were not true.
Either that, or her feelings were overcome by her petty jealousy.
I guess the level of jealousy goes hand-in-hand or is almost proportional to the amount of love that she had for Larry. I am almost certain that if she did not care about him, she would not have been jealousy although one characteristic of love is trust.
Jealousy often depicts one's love. However, the amount of trust must always be more that insecurity. Like any good relationship, love is also based on trust. Louise might have loved Larry a lot at some point, but that love had become overshadowed by insecurity. Even after Larry's death and proven innocence, her reaction was kind of meh.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”