Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Re: Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Kibetious wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:30
Kajori50 wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 15:05
Dusamae wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 11:33 Louise thought Larry was cheating on her. She had already started hating him for it. So, she was distancing herself from him. I think her feelings betrayal were still there even when she found out who Larry was seeing. It would be hard to go from hating back to love in that short of time. I think for her to believe he was cheating was heart-wrenching for her.
What you say is true. However, I still think that after Larry's death, and everybody's assertion that he was loyal, Louise should have let go of her insecurity. In fact, a little bit of remorse was also expected.
This is equally true. Personally, I support it given that after staying with someone for that long an emotional bond always develops not unless love wasn't there in the first place. What is confusing is whether Louise was staying strong for the moment or whether she felt no remorse at all for her own reasons.
I thought that as well. However, in her alone moments Louise could have expressed her remorse if she felt it that is. The thing is that it was never clearly stated that she felt some amount of guilt over her baseless insecurity.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

BuzzingQuill wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:21
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:14
BuzzingQuill wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 14:08 I think it's in Louise's character to be jealous, I had my doubts that Larry had cheated on her as soon as he was confronted by Louise and answered 'no' when asked if he was cheating. I think she did love Larry its just that she was jealous by nature coupled with the fact that the two of them were close to financial ruin, you could see how that could put a strain on a relationship.
Financial ruin can definitely strain a good relationship. But, I think Louise went a bit overboard with her jealousy.
Yeah definitely! Louise is an innately jealous person, so it's easy for her to go overboard I guess
But I guess her jealousy overrode her love for Larry, considering she still had some left that is.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:53
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:14

Financial ruin can definitely strain a good relationship. But, I think Louise went a bit overboard with her jealousy.
Yeah definitely! Louise is an innately jealous person, so it's easy for her to go overboard I guess
But I guess her jealousy overrode her love for Larry, considering she still had some left that is.
Yeah I mean I guess that's why Louise was one of my favourite POV characters to read. Even if she was convinced Larry was cheating, she did still care for him, which made Larry's death even more tragic when she had found out that he wasn't infact cheating on her.
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

For Louise to be so worked up over the thought of Larry cheating, she must really love him or had loved him at the start of their relationship.I think she needed some time to sort her emotions.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:37
kdstrack wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 22:56 Louise had a wall of anger against Larry. I have wondered if she was angry that her father gave Larry so much respect. Why did he let Larry take over the company and not give it to Louise? Was she jealous? Was the company the "other woman" and the imagined affair with Suzette just confirmed her anger. After Larry died and Louise found out about the insurance money, that just made her feel even more unworthy. Her father snubbed her when he let Larry take over and she never got over it. The whole thing soured their relationship and their marriage instead of drawing them together.
I think this is a very novel take, and it made me think about their relationship from an entirely different angle.
This opinion is based on information that the author gave us in this book. There are certainly many unknowns that the author could fill in and give this relationship a new twist!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 11:57
Nerea wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 00:06 Louise loved Larry, it's only that she expressed it differently. You notice when Larry got an accident, she somewhat freaked out. She even regretted wishing Larry a tragedy, which unfortunately happened.
But that was a natural reaction everyone, I guess. It just felt a bit odd when she kept on doubting Larry even after his death.
I guess doubting someone is what seems more natural than regretting for wishing someone ill. I am also of the opinion that Louise loved Larry. Larry should have informed her about Suzette first not unless he was planning to surprise her.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 04:10 Her lack of affection for Lary made me question her true feelings too. She seamed unbothered and just appriciate that Lary left some few bills that could settle the owings. such an unlikable woman!
I think we are more likely to be worried about the faithfulness of those we love than those who we don't care much about. To me, it sounds like Louise allowed her doubt and mistrust to grow to such an extent that her love for Larry was not evident in the story. However, we still find little glimpses that she still loved her husband.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kdstrack wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 22:56 Louise had a wall of anger against Larry. I have wondered if she was angry that her father gave Larry so much respect. Why did he let Larry take over the company and not give it to Louise? Was she jealous? Was the company the "other woman" and the imagined affair with Suzette just confirmed her anger. After Larry died and Louise found out about the insurance money, that just made her feel even more unworthy. Her father snubbed her when he let Larry take over and she never got over it. The whole thing soured their relationship and their marriage instead of drawing them together.
I had not thought much about the possibility of Louise being envious that her father allowed Larry to take over the company. It could be a reason too that was made worse when she began suspecting that Larry was having an affair with Suzette.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul

BuzzingQuill wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 17:36
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:53

Yeah I mean I guess that's why Louise was one of my favourite POV characters to read. Even if she was convinced Larry was cheating, she did still care for him, which made Larry's death even more tragic when she had found out that he wasn't infact cheating on her.
I think Larry's death was truly a tragic one.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 05:09
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 11:57
Nerea wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 00:06 Louise loved Larry, it's only that she expressed it differently. You notice when Larry got an accident, she somewhat freaked out. She even regretted wishing Larry a tragedy, which unfortunately happened.
But that was a natural reaction everyone, I guess. It just felt a bit odd when she kept on doubting Larry even after his death.
I guess doubting someone is what seems more natural than regretting for wishing someone ill. I am also of the opinion that Louise loved Larry. Larry should have informed her about Suzette first not unless he was planning to surprise her.
Well, it was all a big cluster of misunderstandings. Though, I still feel that Louise should have had a more remorseful reaction at Larry's death.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

kdstrack wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 21:01
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 13:37
I think this is a very novel take, and it made me think about their relationship from an entirely different angle.
This opinion is based on information that the author gave us in this book. There are certainly many unknowns that the author could fill in and give this relationship a new twist!
I agree. Their relationship can be perceived in many different ways based on the information given in the book.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Honestly, it just seems like a realistic depiction of some of the factors (paranoia, lack of communication, etc.) that tear apart otherwise solid marriages. I certainly didn't like her character, but I can at least see where she's coming from.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

ViziVoir wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 23:07 Honestly, it just seems like a realistic depiction of some of the factors (paranoia, lack of communication, etc.) that tear apart otherwise solid marriages. I certainly didn't like her character, but I can at least see where she's coming from.
Well, everything in her character was good, except her insecurity. Her continued insecurity made her some a tad annoying.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I think she loved him and cared for him deeply. However, the change in her feelings was due to the fact that she thought he cheated on her.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

The kind of suspicion Louise had for Larry proved toxic but is not uncommon and therefore is certainly not far fetched. I think it's sad that these feelings hovered over their relationship and even continued after Larry's death. The fact that Louise considered 'evening the score' infers something of a double-standard when it comes to the scrutiny of infidelity on the part of the female versus the male (but that's purely my opinion of course).
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”