Storytelling time with William

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Vtonionline
Favorite Author: Charlie Sheldon
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Prophase
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtonionline.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 76074

Re: Storytelling time with William

Post by Vtonionline »

sweetnsassymom wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 19:38 I had no idea that his story was an allusion to a previous book...that is good to know now.

After reading the book, I disliked that I was left with the feeling of wanting more of the stories that were told while they were struggling to survive, especially since these ancestral stories are so significant to the native American culture. I love a story within a story. The chapters ended with the character beginning to tell a story, so I was expecting to hear the story being told in the following chapters, but I felt disappointed and never actually got to listen to the story being told. Only hearing the conversation after the story has already been told when the spectators are asking the storyteller clarifying questions felt like I was being gypped out of hearing a great story. Because this missing story within the story is integral to the plot and theme, it was like missing a piece to the puzzle, leaving a whole in the picture for me.
I felt the same and it does make me want to read the first book. I was not pleased with the gaps but I understand how it would be repetition for those who have read the first book. I know that somehow, the questions afterwards gave me an inkling as to what was missed. Thus, perhaps, it should not totally be called a standalone book. Maybe time passed, should have been used to imply that William's stories would have been too long to insert in the book.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Although I haven't read Strong Heart, I think that Adrift is like in some parts the continuation of it. The story that William narrated is like the summary of Strong Heart so I kind of got what the story is all about. In Strong Heart, the Focus is Sara, however, William is the focus in Adrift. Strong Heart is the first part of a whole story and Adrift is its second part.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It seemed that the author also was able to arouse some curiosity for readers who had not read Strong Heart to read it. The story narrated by William is interesting and it will much more fascinating to read the entire story individually. I am sure that there were other stories that William could have narrated.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I think it is a combination of both things. Also, it's part of William's history and he told it to keep the crew motivated.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

There are few things I hate more than a series of books that absolutely must be read in order to understand what's going on. I appreciate the author's attempt to tie the books together, though I can't speak on whether or not it was a marketing move!
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I actually didn't initially realize that the story William was telling was the story in the first book, which makes the broad skipping of most of the story make a lot more sense. I think it works both ways, because if you haven't read the first book then only getting some of the details in this will certainly make you want to find out more. But having it still certainly connects the two books.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I think that Adrift is an excellent stand-alone novel. I thought that there were two meanings behind
the character William telling stories to the stranded crew of the Seattle Express. My first impression was
for the stories to motivate and encourage the crew during their time of crisis. My second impression
was that the stories that William told did sound familiar, although the whole novel of Adrift inspires
the reader to read the previous novel.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

Kajori50 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 03:20 I have read both the books. I believe William's story telling was a both a ploy to attract the readers to read the previous book and also a means to the the two books together. It provides some background for those who did not read Strong Heart. Also, it did not disrupt the flow of the story.
Hi Kajori,

I feel that is what most authors intend if they try to tie in other books they have written. I haven't read Strong Heart, but I may end up reading it. If it is of the same caliber as Adrift I think it would be worthwhile! I agree that the reminiscing didn't really detract from the overall story. It was nice to get some background information.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I loved the way that William's storytime tied the two books together. I read Adrift first and Strong Heart second, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read them in the right order. In Adrift, I felt like I needed to know more about the characters in William's stories. Now that I've rad Strong Heart, I feel that I do. I'll be watching for the next book Charlie Sheldon writes!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Only if you have read the other book or know of its existence you can discern the connection. I didn't know about it and I enjoyed this story.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think it helped the others past the time. In the hopital, it helped Sarah remember where she was and she recognizes the girl that William told about in his story's. She started to talk about where she left William.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

It was said in Adrift that the stories told by events William werethat happened the previous summer. Most of the characters had memories of the same event, so the book flowed. In its own way it had me interested to read the previous book to find out what had happened. It was a great attempt to tempt the reader to read Strong Heart.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The intention could easily be both, I can also say that the intention was achieved because I have only read adrift and not the first book. so that part of the book made me want to read the preceding book.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

This was actually what prompted me to read Strong Heart in the first place, so if that was the author's intent, it's more than successful in my case. There were so many references to Strong Heart it felt like I was missing a huge chunk of the story by not reading it.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think the author wanted us to read the first book as well. I'm not the kind of person who goes from the 2nd book to the 1st even though it's a standalone, and since there are some parts I already know about, I'm not very keen on going back. But I'd definitely read the sequel when it comes out.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”