Storytelling time with William

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Storytelling time with William

Post by LV2R »

When the lifeboat carrying William and part of his crew finally landed along the craggy coast, it made sense that William would share some stories to pass the time and get their minds off of their dangerous situation. Do you think that telling the story (at least part of it) of Sarah, Myra, Tom, Sergi, and himself hiking the mountains would make people want to read Strong Heart, the author's first book? Was this the intent of the author or do you think that it tied the two books together as one story?
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Having only read Adrift and not Strong Heart, it was only when William was telling their stories that I realized that's what the first book was about. The intention could be both, because it did make me interested to read the first book, especially if it was as beautifully written as Adrift. At the same time, reminiscing was a nice flow to tie the two books together.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I have read both the books. I believe William's story telling was a both a ploy to attract the readers to read the previous book and also a means to the the two books together. It provides some background for those who did not read Strong Heart. Also, it did not disrupt the flow of the story.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

While the writer depicts a strong suit of subtle marketing skills, the story narrated by William is a thread connecting to the first book. It fits the situation the crew was in along with creating a trail for the fans of the book to read the first installment.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I wasn't enticed to go back and read Strong Heart, since I had no idea that that story was an allusion to the previous book. Whoops! Missed that detail. But for those of us that didn't read it, it brought in some much-needed background to get a new reader up to speed. I think that that was its main purpose, or to remind prior readers of what had come before.
sweetnsassymom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetnsassymom.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sweetnsassymom »

I had no idea that his story was an allusion to a previous book...that is good to know now.

After reading the book, I disliked that I was left with the feeling of wanting more of the stories that were told while they were struggling to survive, especially since these ancestral stories are so significant to the native American culture. I love a story within a story. The chapters ended with the character beginning to tell a story, so I was expecting to hear the story being told in the following chapters, but I felt disappointed and never actually got to listen to the story being told. Only hearing the conversation after the story has already been told when the spectators are asking the storyteller clarifying questions felt like I was being gypped out of hearing a great story. Because this missing story within the story is integral to the plot and theme, it was like missing a piece to the puzzle, leaving a whole in the picture for me.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I was meaning to read Strong Heart before this, but never had the "push" to go with it. However, when I read about it in Adrift, it certainly made me want to read it. I think the author hit two birds with a stone with this part of William telling the story. If it's part of the strategy, then it actually worked well, and very impressive too.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Had I not already read "Strong Heart," I don't think I would have noticed that William was referring to the previous book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I had no idea that his story was in the previous book. I kept finding myself wishing that the author would have actually written William’s story out for the readers. I thought it was odd that he only put in bits and pieces. If I hadn’t read it here, I never would have known. It makes sense now that I do know. If the author was using this to get readers to go back and read Strong Heart, then I don’t feel like it would work. People who don’t know what Strong Heart is about, or that this story is included there, won’t get it from what they read in this book. Now that I know, I’d like to go back and read it. It may help me understand these characters even more.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Somehow I am of the opinion that he was trying to encourage the other survivors. In some aspects also, there would have been no need to introduce another story when there was one that could have kept the spirits of the survivors high. The author could also be using it to introduce new readers to the prequel of this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I think it served both purposes and mainly to make readers look for the first book. I was also compelled to go look up the first book. Also, the story really motivated Annie when they went out to look for help.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

If it was then it worked on me.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This was an excellent way to tie the two books together. It focused on the amazing things that had happened in the woods and highlighted the characters from the first book. At the same time, the author did an excellent job of not revealing too many facts, inducing readers to seek out the first book to complete the backstory. Well done, Mr. Sheldon!
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think it tied the two books together as one story. As someone who didn't read the first book before reading this one, I enjoyed those background details.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It has occurred to me that the main similarity between the two books are the characters. The author in a way might have also been trying to tie the two stories together because apart from the characters and Buckhorn, the other events are different.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”