Randall or William?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Re: Randall or William?

Post by Delaney35 »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 18:06 I agree that William should would have been the better choice for leadership on land. Randall antagonized people with his negativity and yelling and I think William made them feel more hopeful about their situation.
I definitely agree. Also, in that type of situation people don't care about who is higher ranked. They'll follow the one they trust the most, which would be William in their case
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Randall was a big chicken. He should have volunteered to go with William, but he let a woman take the risk. Shame on him.

William was true to his nature to the end. I hope he survives.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

For the most part, I do believe that William took over when they became stranded on the island. He took lead in most aspects and was ultimately the reason that they were found and survived it all.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

William did end up taking most of the important decisions and he also kept the group engaged and motivated through his storytelling. I do not think Randall would have been a suitable choice for taking the lead in such situations considering his attitude.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I think in this case rank would be overrated as a means of determining who is more qualified to lead. The rank is based on when they were on the boat, once they came to land, the best option would be to allow the person with the most experience to lead. There is another aspect to consider, if the person with the most experience is not adept at leadership it can also be an issue as well.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

William might have been better as a leader, but I feel like Randall was the one who really wanted to be the leader. William did sort of take over in the end though.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

William was definitely the more equipped individual to take the lead, he is a knowledgable in terms of outdoor survival, but I liked that the author didn't automatically make William the sole leader, as its very much in Randall's character to not want to give up control or his position (from what I inferred through Steve's narration about Randall)
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

I will surely be more relieved if my life was under the decision of a experience person. So if William have more experience than he better be in charge of the crew, for in survivor, ranking can't stand against experience.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think William would have been a better leader once they reached land, since he had more experience hiking in cold. He also had more experience in water, so he would have made a good overall leader.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

B Creech wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 10:47 Regardless of rank I think William would be the better choice once they reached land. He not only had more experience hiking in the cold but he knew his way around! I don't thunk rank should matter when you're in a situation where survival is the ultimate goal. If I had been a part of the crew I would want experience over rank any day!
Very true, B Creech. I am also in total support of this. There is no way that you can continue to assume authority when it comes to matters of life and death when you are in a place where you have little or no experience. Common sense dictates the need to hand over the reins of power. Randall was more a manager than a leader.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Officially, it seemed like Randall was still in charge. When he told people what to do, they technically listened. Like when he said it was time to go get wood, people went. Unofficially, William was in charge. People responded to his leadership style better. I don't think Randall had to defer to him, it just happened naturally.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

In the story, even though Randall is called the leader of the group due to ranking, the word Leader of the group is just a title when associated with Randall. William, however, can be seen as the Leader of the group as he is the person that has the capability to lead the group and his sacrifice also makes him a good leader. He is the anchor that keeps the boat from sinking to the depths of despair.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

The great thing about William, as a character, is that he's very humble and easy-going, unlike many of his mates. While he did take on a more leading role when his crew landed, I got the impression that he was always open to suggestions and differing view-points.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I actually value William more as a leader in this situation because he didn't try to comandeer Randall's position of authority. A good leader knows when to lead by example, even if that example also means being a good follower. Also, while I wasn't always a fan of Randall's style, he did a good job of gathering input from William, and putting him on point, because he knew William had more expertise in this situation. They both played their role well.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 03:36 William's experience could help them but I don't think his personality could take over such an authoritative role. In emergencies like this, I think Randall's "harshness" is a double-edged sword: one, he could keep the mood down with his yelling; but second, people will listen and there's no room for doubt somehow because of his rank.
You're right about Randall being authoritative. I thought that William brought balance to the situation, not leadership. It was interesting how the characters interacted.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”