Randall or William?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Randall or William?

Post by Charlyt »

On the second lifeboat, Randall was the one in charge of the crew because he was the ranking officer as first mate. William, on the other hand, was more experienced and familiar with hiking in the woods in the cold.
Should William have somehow taken over being the leader once they reached the island, which was also his hometown, or was Randall still doing a good job keeping his crew together to survive?
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I think he deffered the leadership role to William.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

For me, in emergency situations, the more experienced person should take the lead. While Randall may have the rank, William was more apt for the job. However, in reality, the person with the rank always takes precedence.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:53 For me, in emergency situations, the more experienced person should take the lead. While Randall may have the rank, William was more apt for the job. However, in reality, the person with the rank always takes precedence.
That's true. Being sailors I would think that they have a strict rule about who takes command in case of emergencies.
Nellbathory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellbathory.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nellbathory »

I do agree that maybe William would have been better for the leader but I don't think he wanted to be. He didn't seem like the person that either wanted or would appreciate the attention and it felt like he didn't want to have to deal with the responsibilities it brought. He didn't even want to be the one walking for help in the woods afterall.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It appears that while on land, William took over the role of leadership. He was the one who guided the team in most of the things and kept them having some hope through his stories.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Regardless of rank I think William would be the better choice once they reached land. He not only had more experience hiking in the cold but he knew his way around! I don't thunk rank should matter when you're in a situation where survival is the ultimate goal. If I had been a part of the crew I would want experience over rank any day!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that William should would have been the better choice for leadership on land. Randall antagonized people with his negativity and yelling and I think William made them feel more hopeful about their situation.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 09:17 It appears that while on land, William took over the role of leadership. He was the one who guided the team in most of the things and kept them having some hope through his stories.
It's true that William gave hope to the others through his stories but Randall was still the one giving orders like making the crew gather firewood.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 18:06 I agree that William should would have been the better choice for leadership on land. Randall antagonized people with his negativity and yelling and I think William made them feel more hopeful about their situation.
But, I wonder, is giving hope enough reason for someone to be a leader?
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Nellbathory wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 08:47 I do agree that maybe William would have been better for the leader but I don't think he wanted to be. He didn't seem like the person that either wanted or would appreciate the attention and it felt like he didn't want to have to deal with the responsibilities it brought. He didn't even want to be the one walking for help in the woods afterall.
That could be true. I think he still had faith in Randall's leadership even if he came off as too hard to the crew.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

William's experience could help them but I don't think his personality could take over such an authoritative role. In emergencies like this, I think Randall's "harshness" is a double-edged sword: one, he could keep the mood down with his yelling; but second, people will listen and there's no room for doubt somehow because of his rank.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Charlyt wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 00:30
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 18:06 I agree that William should would have been the better choice for leadership on land. Randall antagonized people with his negativity and yelling and I think William made them feel more hopeful about their situation.
But, I wonder, is giving hope enough reason for someone to be a leader?
No, I agree with that, but that with his ability to keep the group calm in a difficult situation and then being willing to go for help proved that he was brave and had leadership skills, in my opinion at least.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I feel like William was leading without having to be called the leader. He tried his best to guide Randall and help him. Randall’s yelling and negativity would have caused more harm than good. When people are already scared, yelling just makes it worse. William provided the strong, easy going hope that everyone needed. If I were in an emergency situation I would want to be lead by the most experienced person available. Anyone can gain a rank, but experience is priceless.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I understand why Randall was the one in charge, I think it would have made more sense if William was calling the shots as he had more experience on the water.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”