Re: Steve as a father

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Steve as a father

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Steve did everything he could to provide for Jimmie who was fatally injured. However, he did not give him his time. Jimmy was a lonely boy. He spent his time in the expensive sanatorium. Even his mother washed her hands off him. The only thing he looked forward to was his father's visits. It was only in the end that Steve decided to stay with Jimmie.

Do you think that Steve should have paid more attention to Jimmie?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I think that Steve was a great father who worked himself to death trying to afford the care Jimmie needed, but I believe what Jimmie needed most of all was his father to be present.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I think that yes, he should have been there more. But at the same time, I couldn't blame him because his job paid for Jimmie's stay in the institution. Steve did the best he could to be a father in the most possible way he could think of. It's an unfortunate sacrifice that parents all over the world decide to do. I think he reprived himself by choosing to stay with Jimmie in the end.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Steve did his best to balance his responsibility as a father and a ship captain. I liked how he was concerned about the welfare of his son though he wasn't always physically available.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kajori50 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 03:32 Steve did everything he could to provide for Jimmie who was fatally injured. However, he did not give him his time. Jimmy was a lonely boy. He spent his time in the expensive sanatorium. Even his mother washed her hands off him. The only thing he looked forward to was his father's visits. It was only in the end that Steve decided to stay with Jimmie.

Jimmie wasn't fatally injured. He didn't die; fatal means death. He did have a life-altering serious injury.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

There was a chance for him to improve although one may actually understand what he was undergoing. Money was needed but he could have also given him enough time.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:51 I think that yes, he should have been there more. But at the same time, I couldn't blame him because his job paid for Jimmie's stay in the institution. Steve did the best he could to be a father in the most possible way he could think of. It's an unfortunate sacrifice that parents all over the world decide to do. I think he reprived himself by choosing to stay with Jimmie in the end.
This is true. If he could have stayed at home, he would never have had any money to help his son. So I guess his options were really limited.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:25 I think that Steve was a great father who worked himself to death trying to afford the care Jimmie needed, but I believe what Jimmie needed most of all was his father to be present.
I agree. He just needed his father's attention.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:51 I think that yes, he should have been there more. But at the same time, I couldn't blame him because his job paid for Jimmie's stay in the institution. Steve did the best he could to be a father in the most possible way he could think of. It's an unfortunate sacrifice that parents all over the world decide to do. I think he reprived himself by choosing to stay with Jimmie in the end.
That's a noble observation. Sometimes, parents need to do things that they don't want to do for their children's sake.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Nerea wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 07:26 Steve did his best to balance his responsibility as a father and a ship captain. I liked how he was concerned about the welfare of his son though he wasn't always physically available.
It was quite apparent that he loved his son. However, I think Jimmie needed his physical presence as well.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 10:14
Kajori50 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 03:32 Steve did everything he could to provide for Jimmie who was fatally injured. However, he did not give him his time. Jimmy was a lonely boy. He spent his time in the expensive sanatorium. Even his mother washed her hands off him. The only thing he looked forward to was his father's visits. It was only in the end that Steve decided to stay with Jimmie.

Jimmie wasn't fatally injured. He didn't die; fatal means death. He did have a life-altering serious injury.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It was a life-altering injury. I just wanted to show that his injury was fatal for his dreams and aspirations. I guess that did not come across. Thank you for pointing it out.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 11:17
This is true. If he could have stayed at home, he would never have had any money to help his son. So I guess his options were really limited.
He worked around that by the end. Maybe, he could do that a bit earlier. Just a thought.
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

The whole situation is a dilemma. While Steve should have dedicated more of his time towards Jimmie, it was his job that paid for Jimmie's stay. It is a common pattern among parents in the world.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

The time versus money conundrum is one that will persist through time. I think Steve gave as much time as he could afford. As a de facto parent, I understand this dilemma.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with the above statements that Steve needed to work in order to pay the bills for his son. It sounded like he tried to be with him as much as he could when he was between jobs. I'm glad that he chose to live with him at the end, even if it meant they might struggle a little bit to get by. I think his son would be happier and Steve wouldn't feel so guilty.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”