First vs. third person

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Re: First vs. third person

Post by Debottam_55 »

A third person narrative always provides an omniscient point of view, whereas a first-person narrative is a direct and more character oriented. It is very confusing when first and third person narratives are combined in a book. Just because a character cannot be present at every point in the novel it does not mean that an omniscient narrator has to be present at those times. I find it unnecessary and disruptive as far as narration is concerned.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

I am not really a fan of third-point-of-view. It made me confused and unfocused on the story. I was really grateful when the rest of the chapters was in first-point-of-view.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I think it was written from the first-person point of view. That's why every chapter has a name in the beginning, to indicate whos point of view was being told.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Perhaps, to introduce the situation more realistically..it's kind of confusing to me, honestly
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'd also been a bit confused, but thankfully, the comments helped straighten it out for me.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

Personally, I’m not a fan of switching points of view like this. I prefer books that stick with either first person or third person, but that don’t alternate. It kind of bugs me.
julieanazer
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels #8)
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julieanazer.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by julieanazer »

NL Hartje wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:15 I think this stylistic choice must have been because he wanted to highlight the thoughts of certain characters. Aside from third person omnipotent, secondary characters thoughts are generally masked. Perhaps he just really wanted us to hear what they were thinking?
I also think it is mainly a style choice, and what perspective of the character does the author want the reader to have. For me reading third person is kind of like I am outside looking in but first person I become that character.
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Yes, that's a bit confusing. Though maybe the author's only way of delivering some ideas is using the first person. And some of his ideas are better if they are delivered in the third person.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

vivalatianne wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 13:15 I am not really a fan of third-point-of-view. It made me confused and unfocused on the story. I was really grateful when the rest of the chapters was in first-point-of-view.
I'm a fan of both points of view, though I'm probably more familiar and comfortable with third-person since I feel, as a reader, that I have front-row seats to the private viewing quarters of someone's life more so than being the first-person narrator of a story. However, in a story like Adrift, I don't see why it'd be necessary to include both points of view in the first place. I'd just have enjoyed third POV.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Personally, I prefer the third person varieties of narrators but I also believe that books that use both kinds of narrators (of course, different chapters having different narrators) are interesting.
The first person narrator gives us a sense of closeness to the narrator, like we're having a conversation or something. Then again, the third person narrators act like camera recorders, just showing you the world...
I enjoy these kinds of mixed narrators.
It only gets confusing when this switch happens in one chapter, from paragraph to paragraph. Then it's annoying.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

This is something I have struggled with in my writing. When I see it, it reminds me it's something I need to work on because I don't like the switching back and forth.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires&rsquo; Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

I believe it is a matter of perspective, of point of view. When action is narrated in the perspective of one or another character, there may be different views of things present, and the reader benefits from a larger image, like in 3D, if I can use that analogy.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

I found it fairly distracting. I've seen a few instances where it works well...well, a few instances where decades of acclaim and required reading lists have told us that it works well. I think it can work well, when the first person or third person narration is part of a record, like a journal entry, or recording, and when used sparingly and distinctively. But throughout an entire novel, it can be jarring and pull the reader out of the story.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I don't think it was an editing mistake. Generally, when I see this kind of perspective shift, it is because some characters' intentions, thoughts, and motivations are important to the themes and plotline, while others' are left to the imagination and were not meant to be known.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

This was the first book ever with such fluctuations in the first and third person views and I liked it more than I care to admit. It was literally like kaleidoscope of perspectives

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”