Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Post by vishu »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 15:27 I think Louise loved her husband, at least I hope she did. With the way she was portrayed and how the other characters spoke on her constant jealousy, I feel like this hasn't been their argument involving possible infidelity. I forget who but one charcter mentioned either out loud or in thought how the pair have been bickering since before marriage.

Maybe it's just her personality, to be tough and expect the worst until proven wrong. Her thoughts and silent wishings for him to reap the consequences is what affects her mourning, perhaps she is religious or something and thinks her thoughts might have had a role in his death.
Louise is a character who on the first sight seems as simple as they come but only after going through what she went through does the reader realize she had layers and depth to her persona.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

Louise still held a grudge against Larry before the accident which resulted in his untimely death,but she is definitely remorseful its only that everything happened so fast. She also felt guilty for not trusting him and blamed herself for the accident.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 23:23 I liked Louise. Her reaction to Larry’s death was appropriate for her character. I feel like she would be the type to put up a good front and then cry her eyes out when she is finally by herself. Louise has always had to be strong and do what is necessary to survive. She and her family had to do whatever was necessary to keep their business going. When you lose someone close to you there are a lot of emotions to deal with and that takes time. Not only was she dealing with grief over the loss of her husband, she was likely dealing with guilt over thinking he was cheating on her when maybe he wasn’t. She was also likely battling with the question of whether or not she could have done something differently that may have kept Larry from getting hurt in the first place. I imagine that it’s hard to go from hating someone so much that you wish them dead, to them actually dying.
Agree. I think her worrying about paying the crew could also have prevented her from mourning him properly, before she learns about the issuance policy.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I believe Louise did love Larry. Otherwise, why the jealousy? Even at the wake, she still was thinking about Larry's cheating. I think she was just going through the different phases of grief and hadn't fully grasped the full impact of his death. It would not be a surprise if her character changed as she comes to grips with Larry's death and moves forward on her own.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I do not think she didn't grieve for her husband. She did love him and missed him, but she also had responsibilities to take care of. In my opinion, her determination and patience in such a time is what makes her character so realistic and inspiring.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:38 I, personally, felt like Louise did love her husband. She had a strong personality and didn't let her grief show. She was angry at him for getting hurt and for leaving her behind. I think the grieving would come later.
The grieving would definitely come later, especially after she realised she was wrong about Larry cheating on her.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I think that Louise was a determined woman that was dedicated to both her marriage to Larry and her career. I think that because of her dedication, she developed her own way of facing challenges in her life. Those challenges included facing her husband's death.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Grief is such a personal thing, and everyone grieves differently. I think this speaks more to her overall personality, rather than if she loved her husband.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Mourning reveals a small aspect of her character. I guess the unspoken may not be known but from how she treated Larry and showed complete lack of faith in him, then questions begin to rise.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

I would say that Louise is not indifferent. She did feel remorse and sadness when Larry died, however, she isn't the type to be overly dramatic in expressing her feelings.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I find Louise difficult to relate to. I didn't think there was enough grief or enough show of penitence toward Larry. I liked Louise in the beginning, but toward the end, her characterization fell flat for me. I understand that people show grief and sadness in different ways, but Louise didn't seem to show any kind of response toward Larry's death. Instead, it felt like a pet died.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I think Louise did feel remorse after his death but had to put aside the full impact of the situation for the time being. She had to handle the responsibilities regarding her company and what the future held for her and her employees. There was also the inner conflict between her sadness about his death and her still unresolved anger towards Larry.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have been thinking about Louise's character, especially following the demise of her husband. I am somehow convinced that she was still concerned about Larry. Louise blames herself for what happened to Larry because she was angry at him and wished him ill.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 13:18 How do you think of Louise as a character ? While she certainly exhibited determined personality traits, she appears as a person who holds little to no remorse after Larry's death. Does it narrow the the depth of her character's arc?
No, it just promises for more in the future. I would like to know how they met and how she was before Larry.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

vishu wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 12:55
CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:41 I think Louise did still love her husband. Not everyone shows grief in the same way. Some look like they aren't grieving publicly but then fall apart when the funeral and all the business is taken care of.
It is what leads to individuality. Though your belief that she still loved her husband is interesting.
I also am of the opinion that she still loved her husband. It is revealed in the book that she somehow blamed herself for the death of Larry. This may not really show that she loved him but in a way it does. She did not want Larry to die. I guess her only issue was mistrust.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”