Favorite Part VS Least Favorite Part?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Favorite Part VS Least Favorite Part?

Post by NicholsC97 »

I asked people with the previous book of the day what their favorite funny part of the book was. This time I think I'll ask what your favorite and least favorite parts are instead. I'm curious if the answers will be diverse or all along the same lines.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Although not a part of the main story, I loved it when Pete realizes there is hope for keeping his son with him.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

My least favorite part was the chapter where the crew of the Warhorse were attaching the line to the Seattle Express to tow it only because I can barely understand what written because of all the technical terms.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

My favorite part was learning about life on container ships and about salvaging. I have always loved watching container ships when we are in a port city. I’m not sure why they fascinate me so much. Within the story I really enjoyed Steve’s character and his constant concern for his crew. My least favorite part was the nautical terminology. I wish the author had taken the time to place foot notes at the bottom, or a list of terms at the beginning, to define these words. One particular phrase that confused me completely was, “we’ll go into the foc’sle, find some come alongs, use them to get the loop of the cable over the bits” I found it hilarious when the next line said, Travis had no idea what this meant. I said, “I’m right there with you Travis.” :lol2:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

My favorite part of the book was the fact that William was found alive. It showed all the survivors who escaped the fire survived. There are other parts that were equally interesting too. What bored me a bit was Louise failure to trust Larry.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Favorite part was when William was found to still be alive and the most unpleasant scene was when Larry got injured and died.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Kibetious wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 00:45 My favorite part of the book was the fact that William was found alive. It showed all the survivors who escaped the fire survived. There are other parts that were equally interesting too. What bored me a bit was Louise failure to trust Larry.
I could not agree more about Louise. Why would she doubt him now, after all of their years together? Had Larry cheated on her before?

My favorite part of Adrift was the sweat lodge scene, where Myra and Sarah were praying for the safe return of William and the rest of the crew. The way everyone came together and overcame their own physical discomfort for the benefit of others really touched me. Even the one who could not stand the heat felt no shame because he did his best. I loved that so much.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I think my favorite part of the book was seeing how all the story lines intertwine. Going through a horrific experience like this somehow ties people together and I found this true with the book.
My least favorite part was reading about when Larry’s hand and foot get severed. It just made me cringe the whole time.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

My least favorite part was Larry's demise. I was hoping for him to survive after the medical attention he got. Most favorite part was when Steve decided to stay with his son, Jimmie, even if they would have to struggle financially for a little while.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I loved many parts of the book, but my favorite part was the strong female characters. Myra, Sarah, Louise, Anne, and Heather added so much to the story. They all played very important roles. They kept people alive and kept spirits up. I also really liked when they found William alive. From a practical standpoint, I think it would have made more sense if he had been dead, but on an emotional level, I'm so happy he was alive!

My least favorite part of the book was the sea voyage terminology and all the very specific boating details. As someone who doesn't know much about boating, I found myself a little bored sometimes. The description of the Warhorse attaching itself to the Express was particularly tedious until Larry's accident happened. My other least favorite part was when Heather killed the seal. I'm glad she was able to get food for everyone, but why did it have to be a pup? It made me sad.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Who else did not like the part where William got injured? I never saw the part coming because he had really sacrificed much given that he was well advanced in age. He sprained knee and Anne had to leave him behind. Fortunately, he was found alive. This was one of my favorite parts too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlyt wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 04:13 My least favorite part was the chapter where the crew of the Warhorse were attaching the line to the Seattle Express to tow it only because I can barely understand what written because of all the technical terms.
I thought that I was the only one who had to refer to the dictionary several times till I had to stop doing it. It may have been a bit technical to understand but I am sure that this is one part that made the book stand out too. The author's experience at sea was quite evident from his wonderful descriptions and narrations.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kaylee123 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 15:39 I loved many parts of the book, but my favorite part was the strong female characters. Myra, Sarah, Louise, Anne, and Heather added so much to the story. They all played very important roles. They kept people alive and kept spirits up. I also really liked when they found William alive. From a practical standpoint, I think it would have made more sense if he had been dead, but on an emotional level, I'm so happy he was alive!

My least favorite part of the book was the sea voyage terminology and all the very specific boating details. As someone who doesn't know much about boating, I found myself a little bored sometimes. The description of the Warhorse attaching itself to the Express was particularly tedious until Larry's accident happened. My other least favorite part was when Heather killed the seal. I'm glad she was able to get food for everyone, but why did it have to be a pup? It made me sad.
the female characters played very important roles in this book for sure. The towing of the Seattle Express successfully back to the port can be attributed largely to Louise. Anne was the one who offered to go in search of help together with William. Heather, on the other hand despite her condition went to hunt for a seal and the team survived starvation that is made worse in instances of extreme cold.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I loved the part where the whole gang got together to head up and search for William. It was a very touching scene. I'd say my least favorite part was when Louise found out about the life insurance policy that magically solved all of her problems. I just found that part a little too convenient, like the author was racing to tie up loose ends.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

unamilagra wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 19:48 I loved the part where the whole gang got together to head up and search for William. It was a very touching scene. I'd say my least favorite part was when Louise found out about the life insurance policy that magically solved all of her problems. I just found that part a little too convenient, like the author was racing to tie up loose ends.
I get the reasons as to why you did not like the part. To me, it was quite interesting since the company could go on operating and I also think that it was necessary since it could have meant that their efforts bore no fruit.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”