Why did Travis go on the rescue mission?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Why did Travis go on the rescue mission?

Post by Smiley 25 »

What do you think made Travis go on the mission to find William? Do you think it was simply to get more information for his story? Do you think he was just a nice guy who wanted to help? Do you think it was his way of dealing with his grief over Larry’s death? Maybe he felt that if they could find William alive then it would somehow make Larry’s death more meaningful? I personally think that it was all of the above. He was a nice guy who wanted to help people, but he also wanted the opportunity to tell the story of the Seattle Express. What better way to learn more than to be involved in every way he could. This mission came at a good time because it allowed him to get away and process his grief over Larry’s death. Having just gone through it himself I think he also sympathized with Myra and her feelings surrounding her father possibly being dead.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Personally, I think he was just impulsive. He lives for the adrenaline rush. Who quits a good job to 'get into trouble' - wondered Tugboat Annie. He is even described as scattered in the book.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

DogoMulla wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:06 Personally, I think he was just impulsive. He lives for the adrenaline rush. Who quits a good job to 'get into trouble' - wondered Tugboat Annie. He is even described as scattered in the book.
While he does have an element of impulsiveness to him, the "quitting a good job" is explained in the book, and with good reason. Early on he has a conversation with Scratch where he explains part of the issue with being a reporter is that the good job is not paying enough to support his mom. This seems less impulsive to me. Arguably, this could mean there's more to his decision to go on the rescue mission than just impulsiveness, too.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess he jumped into the search mission to lend some hand. The mission had its own risks and dangers and I personally don't think that may easily value money and fame over life. This is my thought.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

You know I read this scene and it reminded of a Spongebob episode, the one where Squidward moved to the neighborhood where everyone was just like him. Obviously, he loved it until it got boring and realized he missed the unexpected fun and dangers of his old life. I think Travis is the same. As adults we're all trying to make a name for ourselves, to move up and live well. Well sometimes what seems to be the better option can be fine for a little while, but when it mellows out it suddenly becomes dull. Reporting probably stopped serving its purpose. Its nothing compared to sailing after all.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I think he's a little bit impulsive and wanted to help at the same time. He obviously likes adventure since he was so eager to join the crew of the tug boat and was bored with his reporting of mundane issues.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe Travis was just a good person. We need more Travises in this world.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I also think that Travis went on the mission for all the reasons mentioned within the question.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I think the experience at sea traumatized him. And he wanted to get busy and avoid thinking too much about losing a friend and having his hand injured.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I think it's partly because the story about the adrift Seattle Express hasn't ended yet. His curiosity to find out what will happen next made him want to go and help rescue William and he wanted to be in the middle of the action as his story continues.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

EllieLieberman wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 17:51
DogoMulla wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:06 Personally, I think he was just impulsive. He lives for the adrenaline rush. Who quits a good job to 'get into trouble' - wondered Tugboat Annie. He is even described as scattered in the book.
While he does have an element of impulsiveness to him, the "quitting a good job" is explained in the book, and with good reason. Early on he has a conversation with Scratch where he explains part of the issue with being a reporter is that the good job is not paying enough to support his mom. This seems less impulsive to me. Arguably, this could mean there's more to his decision to go on the rescue mission than just impulsiveness, too.
I do admit you have a point there. There might be more to it than the excitement. Would you say it was about the story he was thinking about writing? Perhaps he was in pursuit of more juicy content? Or was he just a good hearted man and chivalry isn't dead after all?
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Travis gave the answer when he was out in the woods, and he asked himself, "was he running from something?" In the majority of the instances that the story mentions Travis, it also mentions Louise. Travis is conflicted about his feelings for her. Where will this relationship go now that Larry has died?
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Apart from being impulsive, I think Travis is one of those people who have the urge to help others. He just felt moved by the situation at hand and thought he should lend a hand.
tiyamalik
Favorite Book: The Invisible Realm
Currently Reading: We are Blood and Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiyamalik.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tiyamalik »

I feel like Travis wanted to get out of that boring job of his and go on some adventures. The probability of him being wanting to feel free and do something amazing seems high to me. I can say this because the same thoughts used to come to my mind when I went to that boring, hard job which paid us not even a day's worth. On an impulse, just like his, I have quit my job too. :D :wink:
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Getting more information for his story must have been the reason behind him getting involved in the rescue mission. Plus, I think he also wanted to help out in finding William.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”