What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can be religious and rely on that religion with nothing but faith, but somehow find it in themselves to question someones else's spirituality as if their faith is less than. It is not uncommon at all for people in peril to turn to faith for comfort. William's story was real to him (and in the official story itself) and I found it rude of the second mate to dismiss it like that. It makes him out to be an unlikable character (but still great story).

What do you guys think? What are your stances on William's faith and Richard's( I don't remember the second's mates name)?
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

It is only proper to respect the religion of others. Most people like to look down on people on the grounds of religion but its not necessary. I think our different beliefs guide us in our various decisions and also at our lowest moments,religion I what we always turn to.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am not of the opinion that all religions are the same but I think there is a way that things must be approached in a manner that shows respect and lovingly too. Disagreeing with another person inconsiderably isn't good. It would be better to place oneself in that person's shoe first.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Agreed. You can disagree with someone's opinion (after all, isn't religion an opinion? To which everyone is entitled, and which differs person-to-person?) without disrespecting the individual.

I do think that some religions teach their followers to be more confrontational about differences - along the lines of being encouraged or even compelled to "convert" others, or to distance themselves from people who believe differently. An adherent of a religion like that would believe it to be more acceptable or even required to be demeaning/degrading/dismissive to others who believe differently.

Not that it makes it any less hurtful to the other party - but that might be where the "attacker" is coming from, cognitively.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that this interaction between William and the second mate reflects our society today. Many people feel as though their particular branch of religion is the only one or the "right one". At its best, this viewpoint can be seen as obnoxious or rude, but at worst, this can lead to violence or hatred of another group. I think that everyone has a right to their beliefs, but you also must be respectful of the beliefs of others.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I think that's pretty typical of the real world, honestly. I have come across many people who are disrespectful and dismissive toward other religions. It's too bad it has to be that way, but religion is one of the most divisive cultural constructs in the history of the world.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think this is representative of our real life situations. We tend to disagree or disapprove of any other beliefs if it is not in alignment with our own. Personally, I do not like the compulsion to include everyone within a fixed group or set of beliefs. Religion and spirituality are things that are personal for each one of us.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I agree that religion and/or spirituality are personal. I think that the author was trying to use that scene as a microcosm of the whole world.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

diana lowery wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:43 I agree that religion and/or spirituality are personal. I think that the author was trying to use that scene as a microcosm of the whole world.
Well said.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

My favorite religion is "Don't be a jackass." And as they say, "There are no atheists in foxholes." In great times of need, it's natural to turn to some higher power.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 03:43 It is only proper to respect the religion of others. Most people like to look down on people on the grounds of religion but its not necessary. I think our different beliefs guide us in our various decisions and also at our lowest moments,religion I what we always turn to.
You are right! Our religion determines our way of life. It determines who we are and helps in shaping our destinies. I believe religion is a BIG thing, but I don't believe any religion should be looked down upon.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Faith is unique in for every person because our life experiences build upon it and build it. I believe religion is like a set of rules and faith makes them applicable in your life. So no one should question or disrespect someone's faith or religion.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Even though everyone believes that his/her religion is the best, we should respect other people's religion and not force ours down their throats. Religious differences can be debated in a respectful manner if we hope for the other person to see our viewpoint. There is an Indian proverb that says there is no point giving a man a rose to smell after you've cut off his nose.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Katherine Smith wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 16:49 I think that this interaction between William and the second mate reflects our society today. Many people feel as though their particular branch of religion is the only one or the "right one". At its best, this viewpoint can be seen as obnoxious or rude, but at worst, this can lead to violence or hatred of another group. I think that everyone has a right to their beliefs, but you also must be respectful of the beliefs of others.
This is very true. The big lie that is normally propagated though is that all religions are equal and the issue of serving the same God which I think somehow is not true. Nevertheless, everyone should respect the religious orientations of other people. It is a human right and freedom and I believe that all Constitutions also have a place for this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

This was an interesting discussion the characters had. It really made me think. Randall practiced a more "traditional" form of religion, while William's religion isn't what most people think of when they talk of religion. Randall was so rude. The bible is full of "stories" that could really be compared to William's story. People who practice religion should be open to others. They don't have to adopt another's beliefs, but they should be tolerant at least.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”