What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 16:30 It will never cease to amaze me how someone can be religious and rely on that religion with nothing but faith, but somehow find it in themselves to question someones else's spirituality as if their faith is less than. It is not uncommon at all for people in peril to turn to faith for comfort. William's story was real to him (and in the official story itself) and I found it rude of the second mate to dismiss it like that. It makes him out to be an unlikable character (but still great story).

What do you guys think? What are your stances on William's faith and Richard's( I don't remember the second's mates name)?
I believe to each his own, no bias, no judgement.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

B Creech wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 12:03 A person's religious beliefs are sacred to them and should be shown respect. In our society today that doesn't happen anymore. If you mention anything with a spiritual connotation you are "offending" someone! Maybe that is what the author was tryimg to portray between William and the first mate, the reality of today's society. Everyone's personal beliefs SHOULD be respected, but in life that is not always the case.
True. Everyone's belief should be respected just as anyone would like his or hers to be respected. The Golden Rule states that 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. It leaves room for no kind of disrespect for any person whatsoever.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Absolutely! We can disagree with other beliefs without disrespecting them! I just recently experienced the disrespect on social media from someone I don't even know. And his disrespect was blatant and fulgar! It is a shame we can't all co-exist peacefully and respect each other!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Some religions encourage sharing of their faith, but majority of those who are vocal about it are tactless when it comes to interacting with people from other faiths and cultural beliefs. Sometimes it is better to try understanding another's customs, they will then be open to attempt to understand a different way of thinking and doing things.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 22:39 Some religions encourage sharing of their faith, but majority of those who are vocal about it are tactless when it comes to interacting with people from other faiths and cultural beliefs. Sometimes it is better to try understanding another's customs, they will then be open to attempt to understand a different way of thinking and doing things.
I think the issue of tolerance and respect for other people's beliefs is normally easier said than done just like many other things. The real test comes when we have to apply what we know is right but at the same time feel as if what one holds to be true is more superior.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

B Creech wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 12:57 Absolutely! We can disagree with other beliefs without disrespecting them! I just recently experienced the disrespect on social media from someone I don't even know. And his disrespect was blatant and fulgar! It is a shame we can't all co-exist peacefully and respect each other!
Nowadays, somethings that could be used to bring people together have been used to keep them apart. Religion has not been left aside as we witness intolerance turning into hatred and eventually leading to violence and devastating chaos.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Absolutely! It saddens me that it has come to this!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I really liked William's story. I found it offensive when Randall began to belittle William's faith. It happens though, I don't know why, but many people seem to find comfort in scorning other people's beliefs to make themselves feel more secure about their own beliefs. It's like a religious bullying really. Just another very realistic part in the book.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I'm glad you asked that. In fact, that part of the book was one which did not particularly please me. I believe we should always respect the religion beliefs of others. With that said, I must say I found their discussion a bit shallow and somewhat presumptuous.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Well, I guess it is only right to be respectful and open-minded about other religions. The second mate did not do this, yet he was also inspired by William's story of Sarah. Also, I guess Richard belonged to a more traditional set of mind.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

While not an overly religious person myself, it would never be my place to dismiss someone elses faith if thats what they choose to believe in!
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I thought a lot about this reading Adrift, it introduced me to real Native Indian culture and I really enjoyed that, i had learned years ago, that even if you don't agree with something it doesn't mean it is wrong. I am a Christian and from what i read about them praying, sometimes faith is all you have whether it be God or your ancestors or whatever you believe in.... because if you don't have faith in a higher power... well, what is the point of living? and it makes death especially scary... so of course everyone finds themselves doing their best to cope with the situation, whether that be praying or looking to themselves to get out of the situation... some people think that they are all there is to live and to them i say... I hope you enjoy this life...
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

Katherine Smith wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 16:49 I think that this interaction between William and the second mate reflects our society today. Many people feel as though their particular branch of religion is the only one or the "right one". At its best, this viewpoint can be seen as obnoxious or rude, but at worst, this can lead to violence or hatred of another group. I think that everyone has a right to their beliefs, but you also must be respectful of the beliefs of others.
I was thinking the same. But adding my two cents, I don't think people realize the monetary incentive to teach that your religion is the only right one. This is a message that starts from the top of the chain, whether that be religious leaders in one's local community or a large-scale, global figurehead, or a "preacher" who's reached notoriety. It ensures that nobody will be curious enough to even look at another religion, and therefore secures the people who profit off these religions (especially if there are any heavyweights in the industry which many religions do). It's one idea that really puts a sour taste in people's mouths, especially since most religions look down upon making money, even more so in the name of the religion. But that doesn't matter for the people who benefit from spreading this rhetoric. It's just a shame that because of it, we have this very hostile environment we're now discussing.
Imagineering.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

People ought to respect other people's religion and spirituality. I found the second mate's attitude repulsive.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I agree with the thought of appreciation and promotion of every religion, and also I think it is a good gesture of people to respect each religion and their rituals.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”