Randall's attitude

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Randall's attitude

Post by Michgal 32 »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 03:43
Kaylee123 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 15:16 Randall was probably my least favorite character. He was so annoying and had a terrible attitude most of the time. I don't understand why he felt the need to tell Heather it was a waste of time to try to hunt a seal. People were starving! He yelled at people constantly and called them stupid. His negativity confused me a little because he also talked a lot about miracles happening and the fact that prayer works. You would think his faith would have kept him a little bit more positive.

As the first mate, he should have tried to be a more positive leader. Thank goodness they had William and Anne there when they were stranded. And Heather too, of course, and not just because she got a seal. She was spunky.
:D :D :D :D I had not thought much about his faith. It seems he had lost it when he telling Heather that there was no need to hunt yet people were starving. Sometimes lessons come in ways that no one anticipated and I guess he learned his when the seal was caught.
He literally had to tack his tail between his legs.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Randall's attitude is definitely not pleasant. He claims to be the leader of the group, however, he lacks substance to back up his words. He smells of hyprocrisy.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

He ought to have behaved better than he did. As a leader, his work would have been to encourage the other members of the crew who were fighting for their lives. I am still wondering at one point he would be reading the Bible and the next be wearing such an attitude.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:27 Randall's attitude is definitely not pleasant. He claims to be the leader of the group, however, he lacks substance to back up his words. He smells of hypocrisy.
True. Hypocrisy is the best word to describe all this. He seems to have been so selfish. He could not entertain the thought of Anne taking over leadership if he was to accompany William to go in search of help.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

He could have been firm with the team members, but he did not need to be so negative at times.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The way Randall is portrayed is no where close to the man we see reading the Bible and also praying. He seems to be very selfish, insecure and biased. His character is an irony of what he confesses.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michgal 32 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 01:14 What do you think of Randall's attitude? I find his attitude very annoying especially how he reacts when Heather and Charles go hunting. As the leader he ought to have an encouraging attitude.
I completely agree with you.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 15:00 I wanted to slap Randall. He got on my nerves. I think the author was trying to convey how stressful situations effect different people. Our true colors are shown when we are put in those kind of situations.
I completely agree, it's only when we are forced into a corner that our true nature becomes clear for all to see. It's why they say that you should be careful of a cornered animal. Its when they become the most fierce as they feel threatened.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Randal is an example of fake christians who are self righteous, big on carrying the bible and talikng about their beliefs but not living out their beliefs. Genuine christians , are loving ,are empathetic and live out and what they profess
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Randall was my least favorite character. His attitude was poor, but what really did it was his attitude of superiority towards Williams beliefs. His belief that his Christian faith was more important or real than Williams ancestral beliefs was offensive. The fact that he was in a position of leadership was disheartening, to say the least. He also, never truly did anything to help the situation other than gather wood. I am pretty sure the other crew members would have decided the need for heat was motivation enough to gather firewood without him yelling at them. He did nothing to boost the morale of his subordinates in a dire situation, and his critical admonitions of William in front of others is abhorrent. Sheldon wrote him perfectly because there is always someone like him in every situation. I really disliked Randall's character. :roll: :roll: :roll:
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 03:32 He lacks the ability to conduct proper teamwork. Even in distress and away from their daily routine he fails to realize that his bosy attitude annoys everyone. They need to be strong together but Randall wants to feel like the only one in control.
Haha, roast him any harder, would you? I couldn't agree more. He's incredibly selfish and honestly, if everyone died, and it was because of him, I bet he wouldn't care because at least he got to be in charge.
Imagineering.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Randall's attitude was not examplary at all. Like you said, he should have be more encouraging.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Randall is a character I wouldn't want to be around at any given time. He is bossy and thinks he should be the one calling all shots and being respected when all he does to others is the opposite .
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Maybe he felt beat by his situation and didn't know how to handle that, much less being responsible for other people. I also think he felt rendered kinda useless because William sort of took over his role. Or it's possible that he's just not suited for the leadership position overall.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I wanted to punch Randall on many occasions. As first mate, he was incharge and should have led by example. Instead, he was always screaming at others. No one wants to get bossed around, especially when you're freezing to death with no food and no hope of rescue. I also disliked the way he kept commenting negatively on William's story every chance he got. If he couldn't keep an open mind, he should have just kept quiet and not listened.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”