What was in the containers blocking the tunnel of the Empress?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: What was in the containers blocking the tunnel of the Empress?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Summer_Moon wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 19:55 Could possibly open up to another book. But most likely something in regards to the fire and failed alarms.
One thing must have led to the other but something that is most certain is that the containers may be carrying some illegal things. Maybe the Company wanted these containers arriving without a formal inspection.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

<<The cargo they were unloading looked like the boxes with Russian lettering from the tunnel. “They’re gonna bring in some heavy lift cranes tomorrow, try to get the helicopters out of number six hold,” said Pete. “Helicopters?” Pete grinned. “Yeah, I heard this ship was carrying the birds for the mining next summer.”>> That's chapter 44.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I'm hoping that something comes of it because it was mentioned numerous times. And if nothing ever comes of that information, it all would be sort of pointless?
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

unamilagra wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 23:24 I was excited about the mystery around the start of the fire and the containers. Travis noticed something fishy and was going to look into it, and then it never went anywhere. I am really hoping that's the subject of the third book. Otherwise, why include it at all?
I definitely think there was something fishy going on with all of Buckhorn's activities. I believe there could be a sequel to this story with Travis as the main character investigating all of there suspicious actions.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

I would say many of the actions Buckhorn took was suspicious, not just the containers blocking the tunnel. Mark was acting weird the entire time. Buckhorn moving things around and having weird protocol mentioned by Pete. Their race to get to Express and how they treated the crew of the Warhorse in regards to the tow. Everything they did seemed fishy. I feel like there could be a book just on Buckhorn.
amymc1306
Currently Reading: Three Sisters, Three Queens
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amymc1306.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by amymc1306 »

Kibetious wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:41
amymc1306 wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 09:32 I'm so glad it wasn't just me thinking this. I also wondered why Buckhorn were emptying the ship so fast when it was meant to be quarantined. And what was Mark up to? Hopefully we will get all these answers! :D
This is the question I have been asking myself too. I am sure that there was something they were hiding to a point where they went against the rules of quarantine. I hope the Elwha clan people will see the company for what it really is.
Yes I agree! There has to be something more to it!
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I still do not know. The fact that they were taking things off the ship when it was supposed to be in quarantine, and they had Russian writing on the side of the crates makes me suspicious of something illegal. Travis wanting to investigate it makes me think it is something illegal. It not being secured in a manner as other cargo makes me think it is something illegal. I also don't think Captain Steve knew what it was or that it was there at all. I want to know what it was. Didn't it still need to go through some sort of customs? It will probably be answered in the next book, maybe. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

The containers on the Seattle Express held cargo that had a lot of value to the Buckhorn Corporation. I believe
that the Captain and the crew of the Seattle Express were really surprised to see the suspicious containers on their ship.
There are lots of shipping regulations and fire codes that relate to cargo containers on ships because it's
very difficult to fight a fire and protect the lives of the crew on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I think that
the suspense is about the Russian lettering on the containers and the hazardous location of the cargo containers
on the freighter. I'm looking forward to there being a sequel to the novel Adrift, that contains at least one plot
segment that explains the mysterious cargo with the Russian lettering.
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

unamilagra wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 23:24 I was excited about the mystery around the start of the fire and the containers. Travis noticed something fishy and was going to look into it, and then it never went anywhere. I am really hoping that's the subject of the third book. Otherwise, why include it at all?
Yeah, it would just seem like an unattended plot hole otherwise and that would just be annoying. I'm sure there's a purpose for it though since so many of us noticed it and are curious. It must've been done intentionally if it's garnering this much of a reaction.
Imagineering.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

The contents of the containers remain a mystery. Hoping to find out in the next series.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I had this same question. I did bother me a bit that it was left as an un-tied loose-end. I guess it could maybe be something that is answered in a sequel. The interest and element of suspicion is certainly present by the end of the book!
Ralibeau
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ralibeau.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Ralibeau »

This was one of my unanswered questions, and was identified as one of the things I disliked about the book. If ever we find the answer to this I would love to hear it.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I agree with the fire conspiracy theory, but who knows? Besides that's the beauty of it: who knows.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think that the company was trying to hide the chemicals that they were using.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think that the company was trying to hide the chemicals that they were using.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”