Strong Women

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Strong Women

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

lisalynn wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:01 I like the fact that there were strong women in the book. Too often, adventure stories are all told from the male perspective. These women demonstrate fortitude in the face of trial and perform admirably.
I agree. Even in our day and age, adventure books usually have a male character that drives the action of the plot and I appreciate reading about women in this "not so traditional" roles".
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am also thinking Sarah played a very important role in the book. When Myra seemed to have given up hope, Sarah still encouraged her and maintained her belief that William would be found alive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 21:04 I am glad that women played vital roles in the book. Louise, Myra, Anne and Heather all showed grit and stability in the midst of their desperate situations.

Which woman is the most unforgettable for you?
Sarah
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

sri varshini303041 wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:44 I loved Anne for her endurance and perseverance. It is true that this book has strong female characters. They don't wait for men to protect and save them. A woman can take care of herself. And I am glad this book portrays that.
This is true. Most of the old books and most works of art including films depicted a culture where mostly women were assigned secondary roles. These were cases where these characters depended mainly on their male counterparts.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Anna Bellle wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 23:48 I like a book which depicts the women in strong and lead position. Glad to hear that women in this book aren't that fragile to wait for a male pursuer to save them in a difficult situation.
I agree with you. I like reading about women who know what they want and would do whatever it takes to achieve that.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Brandy C wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 23:02 Hands down it has to be Louise. She gets the job done even with doubts. Louise is the epitome of women everywhere. Although it may be hard and we may not know how we are going to do it, we always manage to get it done. Her strength and determination spoke to me. I didn't necessarily love her as a person but I love the representation of a strong woman.
Nice to see that despite her personality issues that did not augur well with you, you were still able to pick key lessons on strength and determination. Louise was indeed an epitome of determination. Anyone would have easily given into the Buckhorn threats.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am also still pondering largely about Heather. She is described as being crazy because she had married and divorced two sailors in three years. She is diabetic and her drugs are almost finished. Despite all these, she still manages to hunt a seal with Charlie. It somehow shows that all these women had big roles to play.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Women can show amazing grit when the circumstances call for it. They have an inner strength that can get them through some of life’s toughest challenges. I enjoy books that have strong female roles. I’m glad this book portrayed women as determined and courageous.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Louise with both her strength and insecurity stood out. Anne was brave, and Myra as always help my attention. Heather was great as well.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Also, I need to talk about Sarah. Her optimism mobilized people to go look for William. Also, William motivated the stranded crew by sharing Sarah's adventures in the last book. So Sarah was a pretty strong character herself.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Kibetious wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 21:37
Brandy C wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 23:02 Hands down it has to be Louise. She gets the job done even with doubts. Louise is the epitome of women everywhere. Although it may be hard and we may not know how we are going to do it, we always manage to get it done. Her strength and determination spoke to me. I didn't necessarily love her as a person but I love the representation of a strong woman.
Nice to see that despite her personality issues that did not augur well with you, you were still able to pick key lessons on strength and determination. Louise was indeed an epitome of determination. Anyone would have easily given into the Buckhorn threats.
We don't always agree with each other’s methods. The key is finding something that connects us or makes us stop and think. Louise is that type of character to me. She could have given in and been justified. Yet, she chose to fight instead. She makes you stop and think ”What would I do in that situation”?
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

These brave women are all representative of real women we meet everyday. And the men, too, for that matter. That's what makes this book a winner for me. Sheldon is both a feminist and a masculinist. Males and females are partners; that's how God meant them to be.

My apologies for not including Sarah in the opening post. She's technically a girl, but she is definitely strong.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 03:19 Yes, all women in this book play important roles and show great examples of grit and determination. I would say Anne is my favourite in all of them. Her courage in not quitting was inspiring. I liked Sarah too for her positive outlook on life and not questioning her optimism and faith in the toughest of times.
Indeed, the author managed to develop all the female characters well. I am of the same opinion that Sarah was positive throughout. She believed firmly that William would be found alive.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Although she wasn't really one of the main female characters, I really liked Sarah, and how she never gave up on William. I think for such a young age she had a tremendous spirit. I agree that female characters were very well written.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Heather, she hunts and kills a seal despite the cold and the danger. She does this admist taunts from the lazy Russian men who would not willing assist to hunt yet they want to eat

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”