Portrayals of Disabled Characters

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Portrayals of Disabled Characters

Post by Popcorn1 »

Some of the characters that are portrayed with disablity really made me associate them with the deeper meaning of Adrift and not the literal meaning. Especially Jimmie, he is like a ship that has an unstable anchor in a raging sea.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I liked Pete a lot. What I liked most about him was that he wasn't afraid to say that his wound hurt or that there were some things he couldn't do anymore. He didn't try to hide his pain, which is very brave and humbling to do. I like this thread, because I didn't even consider the theme of overcoming disability, but you're right, it's a strong theme, and Sheldon does well in liberating those who have scars, physical or mental.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I think if we are honest with ourselves, we all have areas of weakness. Reading about others who thrive despite their weakness inspires us to do the same. I also admire the way the author portrayed and included these characters. It didn't feel forced, like he was just including people with disabilities so he could check it off of some list. Everyone seemed very real and pertinent to the story. This also helped them resonate.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Most of the time, those who have disabilities are those most capable and efficient in their work, they produce more quality deliverables. Disabilities should not hinder anyone to pursue his dreams!
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I love just how real Charlie Sheldon was about living life with a long term disability. Pete knew his job was in jeopardy because of his knee. As well as his ability to care for his son. But despite it all, he keeps trying
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

It's refreshing to see a novel that includes characters with disabilities. Especially when they are a main or important character in the story. Well done to the author for producing a diverse novel!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I loved all those characters, too. Heather was one of my favorites. I didn't really think of her as "disabled" because she was one of the toughest people stranded. I was so excited for her when she got the seal, even though it was a bit gory the way it was described.

Jimmie also really impressed me. I was sooooo glad when he got to go live with Steve at the end of the book.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Personally, I like how Pete was portrayed in the book. He was fighting for custody of his son against a man who was both wealthy and also stronger. He also continued to work despite the injury he had sustained. He is also a nice person who seems to be working in the wrong place.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

It is always great to see well-written characters with disabilities. Real people aren't perfect, but for some reason, authors think that characters have to be. I like realistic, disabled, not so perfect characters in my books.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

lisalynn wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 20:58 It's really great to see such diversity in a novel. It reflects everyday life and allows everyone to see themselves in one of the characters.
Wow. This is incredibly true. The author came up with a variety of characters. I am glad that the characters who had different abilities were developed well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

All these characters rang a chord. Despite their disabilities, they took charge of their lives.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kaylee123 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 09:47 I loved all those characters, too. Heather was one of my favorites. I didn't really think of her as "disabled" because she was one of the toughest people stranded. I was so excited for her when she got the seal, even though it was a bit gory the way it was described.

Jimmie also really impressed me. I was sooooo glad when he got to go live with Steve at the end of the book.
I also didn't think Heather to be disabled. She was strong, and she showed all those who doubted her what she was capable of by getting that seal.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

danielleamy wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 09:19 It's refreshing to see a novel that includes characters with disabilities. Especially when they are a main or important character in the story. Well done to the author for producing a diverse novel!
I agree. A diverse novel always seems to be more realistic. Also, the way the disabled characters were portrayed was commendable. None of them let their disability conquer their lives
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Eclecticmama wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 22:13 I love just how real Charlie Sheldon was about living life with a long term disability. Pete knew his job was in jeopardy because of his knee. As well as his ability to care for his son. But despite it all, he keeps trying
Yes, he did not give up. He did what he had to do to get his son's custody. Jimmie too took charge of his life and made it easier for his father to get him out of the facility.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 12:04 I think if we are honest with ourselves, we all have areas of weakness. Reading about others who thrive despite their weakness inspires us to do the same. I also admire the way the author portrayed and included these characters. It didn't feel forced, like he was just including people with disabilities so he could check it off of some list. Everyone seemed very real and pertinent to the story. This also helped them resonate.
Exactly. In fact, I never even consider Heather to be disabled while reading the book. She was just someone with diabetes who needed regular medicines for me.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”