Portrayals of Disabled Characters

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
editoronwheels
Currently Reading: War of the Roses
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-editoronwheels.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Portrayals of Disabled Characters

Post by editoronwheels »

Adrift includes several characters who are disabled, either through natural circumstance, because of accidents or by reason of advanced age. I love how all of them, Heather, the diabetic steward from the Seattle Express Pete Wise, Tom, and Steve's son Jimmie, take opportunities to rise above their situations.

Jimmie gets to move out of a long-term care facility and live with Steve.

Heather undertakes the daunting task of hunting seal to feed her group of marooned survivors from the Seattle Express.

Pete is hired as a park ranger, a job that allows him to keep custody of his young son. It starts out as a desk job, so his knee can heal from a gunshot wound.

Despite a pronounced limp, elderly Tom Olsen braves rugged Pacific Northwest terrain to save William. his best friend.

These characters really resonated with me. I wondered if they resonated with anybody else. If so, why?
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I also resonated with these characters, especially Pete. In spite of his unsettled personal life and hopeless circumstances, he didn't quit and found a job to get the custody of his son. I also liked Jimmie for his determination in making the best use of what he had. He didn't let his disability stop him from learning and trying to progress his career. I think all of the characters in the book are so rich and diverse. Charlie Sheldon really gave his time to flesh out the characters.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

It's really great to see such diversity in a novel. It reflects everyday life and allows everyone to see themselves in one of the characters.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

Everyone loves the story of someone underestimated rising above all expectations and achieving goals that others thought impossible, especially me. I love seeing dreams becoming a reality and I love happy surprises the most.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I really appreciated the way the author included disabled people who still had agency and the will and ability to take action to change their lives.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

All of us have our limitations. Books like this, that cast a variety of characters with their own struggles, come across as authentic and genuine. It's great to read about others overcoming their own obstacles. It gives hope that perhaps we too can rise above our challenges.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think that often in stories disabilities are often overlooked. There are so many stories where there are no disabilities in the whole novel, which is ridiculously unrealistic. I like that there are so many characters in this novel with disabilities, and that they are not sidelined, that they actually are positively viewed.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I loved there was no pity-partying with any of these characters. We heard more on Heather's limited medication from others, never herself. Pete's determination to provide for his son warmed my heart. And Jimmy's resilience was noteworthy.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I really like when authors include diversity in their characters. No one likes reading about 'perfect' characters. So I liked that the characters in this book had disabilities and illnesses that affected various parts of their life. This made them realistic and relatable.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I started out teaching Special Education and I always became deeply attached to "my" kids. I've always felt this "resonance" with people with disabilities, whether in RL, books, or film, perhaps because I am slightly hard of hearing and my best friend growing up was clinically deaf. I admire authors who take on the challenge of accurately depicting characters with disabilities. To do it accurately, as Sheldon did, is a sign of a truly dedicated author.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I liked how disability was not seen as something that automatically put characters on the sideline; they were allowed to function at their best and not confined because of it.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I agree with the other commenters, it was nice to see people of all abilities represented in Adrift. The author did a great job identifying these differences without making the disabilities all-encompassing to the character's identity.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The fact that they did not allow their conditions to keep them from being productive was amazing. This ranged from them working to helping to offer help to their colleagues.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I really enjoyed Tom Olsen's character, he seemed persistent and dogged. I work with retirees so I have a soft spot for the elderly and I just connected with him. Despite his limp, he was determined.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

One of the reasons why I love this book is because the author crafted the characters of the disabled people in an impressive and a fascinating manner. It motivates me to read about their struggles.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”