Adrift vs Strong Heart

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Adrift vs Strong Heart

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I enjoyed Strong Heart so much that I couldn't wait to read Adrift. However, I will confess to being disappointed that the characters and storylines were so different in this second Sheldon book. If you have read both of them, what did you think? Did you like one book better than the other? Would you be eager to read a third book in this series?
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I read Stong Heart after Adrift. Perhaps that's why I favor Adrift so much. You are correct, they are very different books. Strong Heart was so much about the young girl, and Adrift was so much about William. I enjoyed both of them, but I appreciated the drama in Adrift much more. Perhaps because it seemed more like reality?
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I enjoyed Adrift more. It had so much going on. Many characters, with their own brand of drama, both in the sea and on land. I found it gripping. Strong Heart was all about the forest, folklores, and Sarah.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

It is very nice that we have another book to follow Strong Heart. Having been able to read the first one I enjoyed it though there were a lot of things going in in the first book. There were stories inside stories which made it kinda confusing to me at first. Looking forward to reading and enjoying Adrift, too.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I agree with you that both these books are totally different from each other. However, I did enjoy reading both. If you asked me to pick one between the two, I'd go with Adrift though.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I have only read the sample of Adrift, but Strong Heart was my favorite because it pulled me in with the family drama.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 08:25 It is very nice that we have another book to follow Strong Heart. Having been able to read the first one I enjoyed it though there were a lot of things going in in the first book. There were stories inside stories which made it kinda confusing to me at first. Looking forward to reading and enjoying Adrift, too.
I was wondering if Strong Heart is as involved as Adrift is. Now I know. I enjoyed Adrift, but I want to read Sarah's story now.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you all for replying! I enjoyed Strong Heart much more than I did Adrift. I loved getting to know the new characters in Adrift, but I was expecting to follow the SH characters more closely. I guess I am more interested in character and the Native stories than I am in action.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Personally, both books are equally interesting. The only connection between the two books seems to be the characters and also William's story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I would go with Strong Heart, perhaps because I read that one first and became pretty attracted to Sarah's character. I wish Adrift would've focused on her a bit more. I think the writing style did improve in Adrift, however. Strong Heart had a lot of exposition, in my opinion.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I had read and liked Strong Heart- particularly Sarah's character. I realised that while Adrift is very written, it can be read as a stand alone novel. I would have liked to see more of Sarah, so Strong Heart is the book I enjoyed more.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I saw that is was the second book, so I didn't pick it up to read, because I haven't read the first one. Now I see, I could have done it, as the stories seem to be barely related to each other. But I think I will start with the first one anyway :)
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I loved both books equally, but for different reasons. Strong Heart because I was so impressed with Sarah’s character and loved the magical realism evoked by her journey through time. Adrift because, a) it expounded upon characters I had already gotten to know (and was happy to learn more about), and b) I loved the stronger sense of adventure and suspense. I was overall very impressed with this series thus far and look forward to book three!
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 18:28 Thank you all for replying! I enjoyed Strong Heart much more than I did Adrift. I loved getting to know the new characters in Adrift, but I was expecting to follow the SH characters more closely. I guess I am more interested in character and the Native stories than I am in action.
I read Adrift first and then found Strong Heart. I like them both, though I do favor Adrift. Having read both of them, I'd love to read the third book that answers questions brought up in the first two!!
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 19:51 I enjoyed Strong Heart so much that I couldn't wait to read Adrift. However, I will confess to being disappointed that the characters and storylines were so different in this second Sheldon book. If you have read both of them, what did you think? Did you like one book better than the other? Would you be eager to read a third book in this series?
I think the difference is what caught my interest in the books, I'm not done with adrift so I can't pick a favorite but Strong Heart is most certainly my choice.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”