Adrift vs Strong Heart

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Adrift vs Strong Heart

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I agree that Sarah stands the same in both the books and so does William’s wisdom.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

True, the two characters still have much. Myra and Tom also played huge roles although Tom in this book seems to be a secondary character.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 03:54 The person who does not seem to have changed much in the two books is Sarah. She still stands out from the rest. I guess Roger also seems to be enjoying working with Buckhorn just as he did in the first book.
I have been enjoying the character, Sarah, as well. To me, by the end of the second book, I had more questions than answers. What happens next in the family? What was in the hold? How did the fire start? Will Louise be in the next book? etc.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I enjoyed Adrift more because Strong Heart was a little hard to follow about midway through and I never felt that way with Adrift. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series though.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Both of them are different and unique Iin their own way
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Also, I would love to read the secongpd book and know about the whereabouts of Buckhorn and the other candidates.
ScottWize1
Favorite Author: Jack Cavanaugh
Currently Reading: The Invisible Realm
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottwize1.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 82073

Post by ScottWize1 »

I enjoyed them both, but they are different. The dialogue was better in Adrift and the structure was totally different than in Strong Heart. The parallel story lines in Adrift was interesting (in a good way) but I also really enjoyed the story line of Strong Heart. I think that the Author really describes generational differences well, and in an engaging, respectful way. I recommend them both to adult and young adult readers, and while I don't have a preference for which book, I do have a preference for reading them in order. I also hope that a third book in this series is in the works.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

DC Brown wrote: 01 May 2019, 08:22
Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 03:54 The person who does not seem to have changed much in the two books is Sarah. She still stands out from the rest. I guess Roger also seems to be enjoying working with Buckhorn just as he did in the first book.
I have been enjoying the character, Sarah, as well. To me, by the end of the second book, I had more questions than answers. What happens next in the family? What was in the hold? How did the fire start? Will Louise be in the next book? etc.
Yes, I was left with many questions, too. I hope to see much more of Sarah in the next book.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 21:20 I enjoyed Strong Heart more. It was easier to form a relationship with Sarah and her emotional struggles. All readers could identify with those teenage years when you felt misunderstood, adventurous, rebellious... As the main character in the first book, I was waiting and waiting for Sarah to make her appearance in Adrift. In Strong Heart, Sarah had her "forest" experience. In Adrift, it was William who had to conquer the forest elements. These two now have a shared experience that can be highlighted in the next volume.
I agree. I was expecting this book to be focused on Sarah and Tom. I wanted to see how their relationship grew and melded. Perhaps we will see more of them in the next volume!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

ScottWize1 wrote: 02 May 2019, 15:50 I enjoyed them both, but they are different. The dialogue was better in Adrift and the structure was totally different than in Strong Heart. The parallel story lines in Adrift was interesting (in a good way) but I also really enjoyed the story line of Strong Heart. I think that the Author really describes generational differences well, and in an engaging, respectful way. I recommend them both to adult and young adult readers, and while I don't have a preference for which book, I do have a preference for reading them in order. I also hope that a third book in this series is in the works.
I noticed they were very different as well. What I liked was that I could read them out of order and still understand what was going on. I agree that the author does a great job. I believe a third book is in the works, there is an author input forum under the 'Adrift' discussions.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

I have just finished reading Adrift and I like it, however I havent read Strong Heart just yet..I am very interested in the book as of the moment, but, honestly Adrift is the kind that could stand alone.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

Between strong heart and Adrift, Adrift caught my interest the most because of the stronger sense of adventure and suspense in it. Strong Heart was so much about the young girl, and Adrift was so much about William.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

My decision to read Adrift is based in part by the wonderful characterization in Strong Heart. The other component that attracted me to Adrift is the sea-based adventure.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I prefer Strong Heart and hope the third series is as enjoyable as it.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

It may be because I only joined recently, but I don't remember seeing Strong Heart being featured anywhere on the site. I did see a healthy amount of people mentioning it by name, however, and it piqued my curiosity. I tried googling to see if there was a numbered series or not, and didn't turn up with anything helpful save for a few other book reviews that mentioned Adrift in fact being the sequel to Strong Heart. I find it odd that a sequel of anything would be featured, as I would figure that it might cause issues with people who are strangers to the series not understanding the goings on or relationships of the characters of the book. I'm not hating on it by any means, but it still strikes me as curious, even if it is a really good book.

I haven't gotten a chance to start reading it yet, but I'm almost afraid that if I read it before Strong Heart I'm going to have a difficult time following the story or it'll mess up the order of events, or even potentially spoil the first. I tend to be very picky about only reading a book if I've read the material that is supposed to come before it chronologically. :P
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”