Adrift vs Strong Heart

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Adrift vs Strong Heart

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The two stories were quite unique and from the statistics, it is very likely that the third book will also be unique. I will gladly pick the third book. Charlie Sheldon is a seasoned writer. Adrift made me realize that survival can also largely depend on one's faith and the spirit to survive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

One of the people I had expected to play a huge role in this book after reading Strong Heart was Tom Olsen. He seems to have been given a secondary role in this book. I hope he will have a greater role to play in the third book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I liked Strong Heart more than Adrift. I was irritated and bored with Adrift because of the terminology. I didn't get very far in reading Adrift.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed Strong Heart more. It was easier to form a relationship with Sarah and her emotional struggles. All readers could identify with those teenage years when you felt misunderstood, adventurous, rebellious... As the main character in the first book, I was waiting and waiting for Sarah to make her appearance in Adrift. In Strong Heart, Sarah had her "forest" experience. In Adrift, it was William who had to conquer the forest elements. These two now have a shared experience that can be highlighted in the next volume.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Amy+++ wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 10:31 I have only read the sample of Adrift, but Strong Heart was my favorite because it pulled me in with the family drama.
The story is truly exciting and memorable as well. It is true that it was filled with family drama. I hope you purpose to read it. You won't regret the decision.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 21:20 I enjoyed Strong Heart more. It was easier to form a relationship with Sarah and her emotional struggles. All readers could identify with those teenage years when you felt misunderstood, adventurous, rebellious... As the main character in the first book, I was waiting and waiting for Sarah to make her appearance in Adrift. In Strong Heart, Sarah had her "forest" experience. In Adrift, it was William who had to conquer the forest elements. These two now have a shared experience that can be highlighted in the next volume.
I had not thought of this nice observation. I am wondering what William experienced all that time while he was alone in the extreme cold weather. It is true that both Sarah and him now have survival experiences where they were alone and it is only themselves who can prove it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 09:20
kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 21:20 I enjoyed Strong Heart more. It was easier to form a relationship with Sarah and her emotional struggles. All readers could identify with those teenage years when you felt misunderstood, adventurous, rebellious... As the main character in the first book, I was waiting and waiting for Sarah to make her appearance in Adrift. In Strong Heart, Sarah had her "forest" experience. In Adrift, it was William who had to conquer the forest elements. These two now have a shared experience that can be highlighted in the next volume.
I had not thought of this nice observation. I am wondering what William experienced all that time while he was alone in the extreme cold weather. It is true that both Sarah and him now have survival experiences where they were alone and it is only themselves who can prove it.
It will be interesting to see how this is developed in the next book. I think it will draw Sarah and William closer and will have to somehow be linked with Buckhorn. I'm intrigued to see what Mr. Sheldon does with the next volume. How will be join Louise and Travis with Sarah and William and Buckhorn???
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Sarah's tale in Strong Heart was too enthralling and fascinating to be believed. It is one thing that I have not forgotten since reading the book. I am also not sure whether she really experienced all that she narrated or not. This is the one segment that made Strong Heart interesting.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I enjoyed both Strong Heart and Adrift. It was great to pick up on the characters in the first book and the wonderful background. I just totally enjoy Sheldon's fast -paced writing style and the glorious detail in his stories. He is a "William" storyteller and keeps me spellbound.
    Ferdinand_Otieno
    Book of the Month Participant
    Favorite Author: Victor Rose
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 1749
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
    Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
    fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Abacus wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 16:03
      I enjoyed both Strong Heart and Adrift. It was great to pick up on the characters in the first book and the wonderful background. I just totally enjoy Sheldon's fast -paced writing style and the glorious detail in his stories. He is a "William" storyteller and keeps me spellbound.
      I agree.
      Kibet Hillary
      Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Vivianne Nat wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 08:25 It is very nice that we have another book to follow Strong Heart. Having been able to read the first one I enjoyed it though there were a lot of things going in in the first book. There were stories inside stories which made it kinda confusing to me at first. Looking forward to reading and enjoying Adrift, too.
      It appears we had different experiences concerning the first book. Personally, I enjoyed all the stories in it. It seems there were only two stories inside the story of which both were equally fascinating.
      - Dr. Larry Crabb
      Ferdinand_Otieno
      Book of the Month Participant
      Favorite Author: Victor Rose
      Currently Reading:
      Bookshelf Size: 1749
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
      Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
      fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 09:54 I liked Strong Heart more than Adrift. I was irritated and bored with Adrift because of the terminology. I didn't get very far in reading Adrift.
      for just the same reasons, is why I LIKED ADRIFT.
      Surabhi Rani
      In It Together VIP
      Currently Reading: Demonslayer
      Bookshelf Size: 1886
      Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
      Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
      Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I think that both 'Strong Heart' and 'Adrift' are adventure tales and have a similarity. This generates a thought in me that there is a bit of fancy outdoors. The adventure team gives me a picture of a group of people sharing sharing similar thoughts and visions. The adventure loving people inspire me to fully invest my physical energy and be extroverted. I like 'Strong Heart' better than 'Adrift' as it better represents my thoughts about a new world and the creative energy that is neglected in society with the protagonist Sarah daydreaming. I would welcome the idea of a third book in the series!
      Kibet Hillary
      Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

DC Brown wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:35 I read Stong Heart after Adrift. Perhaps that's why I favor Adrift so much. You are correct, they are very different books. Strong Heart was so much about the young girl, and Adrift was so much about William. I enjoyed both of them, but I appreciated the drama in Adrift much more. Perhaps because it seemed more like reality?
      Sure. Sarah was the prominent character in Strong Heart. I must confess that I enjoyed her adventure very much although it sounded very ubelievable.
      - Dr. Larry Crabb
      Kibet Hillary
      Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The person who does not seem to have changed much in the two books is Sarah. She still stands out from the rest. I guess Roger also seems to be enjoying working with Buckhorn just as he did in the first book.
      - Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”