Larry's accident Vs William's accident

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Larry's accident Vs William's accident

Post by shaz1994 »

Larry got hurt in the ship,he was much younger,stronger and probably healthier as compared to William. He even had medics to take care of him.

William on the other hand, was stranded in the snow nursing burns, he got injured again in the snow starving and unable to move,he was out in very bad weather for over two weeks and still survived but Larry couldn't last three days.

What are your thoughts, on both incidences,should Larry have made it alive as well?
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

William would have had an advantage. He was surviving the wilderness, which he seemed very skilled at. I think in some cases William had the advantage of experience. I imagine William's injured knee is vastly different than Larry's leg getting cut off, too.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

The two injuries are vastly different, I think too different to compare. Larry had to deal with blood loss and shock, something that you cannot mentally overcome. If you don't have enough blood, you die, plain and simple. He never stopped bleeding. His body and organs could take no more.
William's survival situation was much different. Although his outcome was improbable, it wasn't impossible. Charlie Sheldon briefly touched on how he could survive earlier in the story, with the body going into a hibernation mode. I think both were well written, and my heart hurt when Louise heard the news.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Larry's accident was much more severe. He lost two limbs and a great deal of blood. He faced a high risk of developing infection and going into shock. The nature of his wounds lowered his probability of survival.

William only had a sprained knee - no blood loss, no risk of infection. The dangers he faced were hunger and frostbite from the cold. Since he was familiar with the woods, and called them his home, he knew how to use the resources around him to his advantage. He faced dangers but not as intense as those Larry experienced.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Larry's injuries were very different from what William was facing. I think Larry died because of too much blood loss and his death seems logical seeing the cause. Whereas William had burns and injuries which were bearable till he found care and treatment. He was facing the dangers of a too cold climate and starvation that could take one's life, but it takes some time if one is skilled at surviving in the wilderness with the resources available, and that is exactly what William and his team did while they were stranded. They didn't quit and managed with everything they had available at that time.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The two accidents are not comparable. Larry's injuries were grave, amputated limbs - bound to be infected and blood loss. But, the big question is, why did the author choose to kill him off. The accident didn't have to happen.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:52 The two accidents are not comparable. Larry's injuries were grave, amputated limbs - bound to be infected and blood loss. But, the big question is, why did the author choose to kill him off. The accident didn't have to happen.
I have wondered the same thing. What plans does the author have for Louise in the next book? Great question!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 13:01
Cotwani wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:52 The two accidents are not comparable. Larry's injuries were grave, amputated limbs - bound to be infected and blood loss. But, the big question is, why did the author choose to kill him off. The accident didn't have to happen.
I have wondered the same thing. What plans does the author have for Louise in the next book? Great question!
I was praying that Larry would somehow survive, even though the odds screamed not likely. I was sad that he didn't survive. I think Sheldon killed Larry off to provide the intriguing ending with the life insurance policy, and a quick temporary money solution for the business. It will be interesting to see how it will continue in the next book, in respect for Louise.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

It doesn't matter the age; blood loss is blood loss especially with amputation of two appendages. William's injuries were bad and serious, but his didn't entail blood loss.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

William seems to have had better chances of surviving than Larry because of his experiences. Also, Larry's accident led to severe hemorrhage which I believe in normal circumstances may lead to death more quickly than burns.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Larry's situation is very different from William. Larry suffered severe blood loss, and there is no proper equipment to treat the injury. Infection is also one of the risks to be taken care of. In William's situation, that is survival in the wilderness, it is much more optimistic. Added that the weather is cold, there are many reports that proved that the human body has the ability to adapt to the cold environment and hibernate to preserve heat.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

In this case I don't think it matters just how young, strong and powerful Larry was. He cut off his leg and arm. That's reason enough for him to die. Plus he lost a lot of blood. No medical attention. William's accident and Larry's are vastly different. It was very emotional for me what happened to Larry though.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

It also seems to me that Larry's injuries were more severe. Larry had a better shot of making it if his injuries didn't get infected, but they did. He did have some medical attention, but they didn't have all the resources needed to treat him, like antibiotics. William also was in bad shape by the end, barely alive, but his injuries in and of themselves weren't life threatening. His exposure and starvation were though. The book kind of ends suddenly. We know at this moment that William is alive, but we don't know what the author will do in the next book.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I feel that Larry's accident took a greater toll on him. The loss of two limbs and a huge amount of blood can definitely not be trivialized. It was easy for someone in his condition to develop dangerous levels of infection. Though William's injuries were significant as well, he didn’t suffer through too much blood loss.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

The description of Larry's injury is certainly not for the squeamish.His were life threatening,he lost too much blood,got infected, and the pain must have been terrible.
William got injured when he was weak from starvation.He had to lie out in the open for quite some time, not knowing whether Anne had succeeded or suffered a more or less the same fate.
Fortunately his strength of spirit pulled him through.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”