How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Since I'm kind of afraid of even being out on the ocean, being in a crisis that far away from land or help is one of my worst nightmares. There were a couple of scenes in the book that became too intense for me. (I know, a testament to the author's writing) and I literally had to put the book down and walk away from it for a bit. Did anyone else experience this? What scene was it that 'spooked' you?
Books are my self-medication. 8)
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I am also afraid of being out in the sea and I agree with you that some of the scenes are too intense that it left some imaginations in my mind. Still, the story is an interesting one.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

aolayide wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:24 I am also afraid of being out in the sea and I agree with you that some of the scenes are too intense that it left some imaginations in my mind. Still, the story is an interesting one.
I know, right!?!? It's hard enough being afraid of being out there (especially since my husband is all about the water) but having that nightmare play over and over in your head is maddening!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I found this book to be very intense. While reading the ending of the book when they found his body, my heart began to race and I actually started to cover my face until I was able to get through to him being alive.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The first was the fire incident itself then came the point where the location of the fire could not be found. The most intense was the part where William Anne decided to go and seek help. He falls and his knee was sprained hence he was left behind. I was not sure if he was going to be found alive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

For me it was different, the more scary the scene seemed to be the more I wanted to read. I'd say the book is balanced in the sense that the author chipped in less terrifying scenes in between the terrifying ones. This is what helped endure in my reading.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Vtonionline
Favorite Author: Charlie Sheldon
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Prophase
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtonionline.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 76074

Post by Vtonionline »

I did find it filled with intense but I totally wanted more except for the point where Larry's limbs got chopped. I couldn't believe it. It happened in an instant but I guess that's how lots of disasters happen.... suddenly, in an instant. It got my adrenalin pumping and I was always curious to know what happened next. I was absolutely thrilled at the final end.
I will definitely be voting for this book
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think the book had great build up, especially towards the end, making it pretty intense to me. I think Strong Heart was lacking in that but this book definitely made up for it.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I’m used to being out in the woods but not out on the water. I’ve never even been on a cruise so the first part of the book was difficult at times. I kept thinking, “Oh, God, please let it be over soon!” The part about Larry’s accident was especially hard for me. I could only imagine such a tragic accident and hope I never have to face something so terrible. I felt like I was holding my breathe until the lifeboats were rescued or landed. The author did a great job making everything so emotional, I felt like I was actually there!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I also have a "healthy" fear of the ocean (mainly the man-eating monsters that live in it!), and, though I don't mind being on a decent-sized boat, I still prefer being within sight of land. The situation in this book would absolutely terrify me.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

The events in the book are so well written that I felt very involved! Some scenes were indeed very intense, and the part where Larry's limbs get chopped off was horrifying.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Echo Haapala wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 15:50 I found this book to be very intense. While reading the ending of the book when they found his body, my heart began to race and I actually started to cover my face until I was able to get through to him being alive.
Kibetious wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 01:52 The first was the fire incident itself then came the point where the location of the fire could not be found. The most intense was the part where William Anne decided to go and seek help. He falls and his knee was sprained hence he was left behind. I was not sure if he was going to be found alive.
I know!! I think some of the worst/best times were when I thought someone might die but the book left me hanging in suspense. I'm a worry-wart anyway and get very attached to the characters in the books I read. I don't like it when they die!! Game of Thrones was torture for me!!

Thanks so much to you both for stopping in and commenting!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nerea wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 02:35 For me it was different, the more scary the scene seemed to be the more I wanted to read. I'd say the book is balanced in the sense that the author chipped in less terrifying scenes in between the terrifying ones. This is what helped endure in my reading.
Vtonionline wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 03:24 I did find it filled with intense but I totally wanted more except for the point where Larry's limbs got chopped. I couldn't believe it. It happened in an instant but I guess that's how lots of disasters happen.... suddenly, in an instant. It got my adrenalin pumping and I was always curious to know what happened next. I was absolutely thrilled at the final end.
I will definitely be voting for this book
The "calmer" scenes :roll: were the only thing that kept me sane while reading this. I found the scene with Larry almost torturous in a heartwrenching way especially since there was NO warning. I can't say that my adrenalin was pumping in exactly a good way!! Yet I still kept coming back to continue. It was indeed an intense and involving storyline. I'm not certain I'll be voting for this one since parts of it were just overwhelming for me. Thanks to you both for stopping in and leaving your thoughts!!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Mely918 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 19:53 I think the book had great build up, especially towards the end, making it pretty intense to me. I think Strong Heart was lacking in that but this book definitely made up for it.
I haven't read Strongheart yet but I'm somewhat glad to hear it's a bit less intense than this one! Thanks for your thoughts!!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 21:31 I’m used to being out in the woods but not out on the water. I’ve never even been on a cruise so the first part of the book was difficult at times. I kept thinking, “Oh, God, please let it be over soon!” The part about Larry’s accident was especially hard for me. I could only imagine such a tragic accident and hope I never have to face something so terrible. I felt like I was holding my breathe until the lifeboats were rescued or landed. The author did a great job making everything so emotional, I felt like I was actually there!
joshfee77 wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 23:31 I also have a "healthy" fear of the ocean (mainly the man-eating monsters that live in it!), and, though I don't mind being on a decent-sized boat, I still prefer being within sight of land. The situation in this book would absolutely terrify me.
Manali_DC wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 09:46 The events in the book are so well written that I felt very involved! Some scenes were indeed very intense, and the part where Larry's limbs get chopped off was horrifying.
The book was well written, just immensely suspenseful and somewhat terrifying in parts!! I think feeling like I was there was part of the horror for me!! :shock: Staying in sight of the land is a definite must for me. NO cruises in my future!! I'll also be staying far away from ropes that have even the potential to tangle for the foreseeable future. That scene is something you just can't "unimagine"!!

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”