Science Fiction/Dystopian Genre Discussion

For April 2019, we'll be reading books in the Science Fiction/Dystopian genre!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Re: Science Fiction/Dystopian Genre Discussion

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice discussion here. I am huge fan of both genres too. I hope to participate in the discussions soon when I get back to read other books in the stated genres.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

gali wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 01:12 I finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman, a very dark Dystopian with original premise. It revolves around a world where abortion is abolished, but parents can unwind their trouble-making teens (ages 13 to 18); Meaning, sending them to camps where their body parts are taken to be transplanted to those in need of them. The book follows the lot of three escapee unwinds. It was good but disturbing read, with some slow portions in between. I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
I actually really enjoyed this entire series. There were points in the books that got my mind ticking overtime. As far as I remember, there were four books in the series. You should read them all, I was definitely not disappointed!
I remember the one scene (I read these books about 5 years ago so bear with my sketchy memory) of the unwinding of one of the kids (obviously I forget his name) from his own perspective. It was one of the most horrifying and disturbing things I have ever read. And it was written SO well. It is something that has stuck with me through the years. Shusterman is a master storyteller.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I love these books- The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Maze runner series by James Dashner, Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I also like Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan. These are all set in a dystopian future.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

srividyag1 wrote: 07 May 2019, 10:18 I love these books- The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Maze runner series by James Dashner, Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I also like Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan. These are all set in a dystopian future.
Hope we're talking about the same book, but I would have been torn about what I was going through, how The Giver did for so long was amazing!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “April 2019 Genre Discussion”