Who would you be in a SciFi and/or Dystopian world?

For April 2019, we'll be reading books in the Science Fiction/Dystopian genre!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Who would you be in a SciFi and/or Dystopian world?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

There always seem to be key characters who play a role in a Science Fiction and/or Dystopian world. There could be a strong leader, one who comes-of-age, one who is super resourceful, one who sort of falls through the cracks, one with a unique skill, etc. What type of character do you think you would be in a SciFi and/or Dystopian world? Can you explain why?

I think I would most likely be a character who is lost at first, then becomes resourceful because I feel I could adapt and learn a new routine fairly quickly. Maybe I'll also acquire a unique skill...like finding small prey to eat because I'm pretty good at seeing small moments in nature.

What about you? :mrgreen:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Peterkavinsky123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Peterkavinsky123 »

I think I would be a leader, an unusual one though. Not the typical big muscles, extremely brave with survival skills. I would be an amateur who pretends they know what they are doing
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I think I'd be the same as you. I'm not a leader and I never will be. I'm better at looking at a situation and seeing solutions no one else sees.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I'd be the corpse. :lol2:

I'm about as coordinated as a sloth in a swampy mud puddle, and my public speaking skills rival the cringe of a prepubescent boy talking about feminine hygiene products in front of the female members of congress. Okay, I might be exaggerating. Who could possibly be as cringey as THAT? (Don't answer that)

In all seriousness, if I make myself seem cooler than I really am, I could see myself being the Morality Pet. Not because my morality is better than anyone elese's, but because I like to encourage and support people. Either that, or I'd be the crazy short girl with the big guns- but probably not a berserker, because I'd have about 10 cats to return home to and feed after a long day of fightin' the power. (No, I'm not a crazy cat lady. Why?)
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I want to be the mean, cruel, baddy that everyone loves to hate. These evil ner-do-wells are always causing problems, but without them, the book would not be as good. The reason for this choice of character is that it would go against my nature. Experiencing all sides of personalities is good. :emperor:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'd probably be the random archivist whose sole purpose is to give exposition on some theory or another to the hero. Or the corpse in a dystopia.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I'd be the type of character that lays down and dies at the end of the world. I think I'd be so lost, and I'm not sure I'd adapt.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love all these answers - thank you all for sharing! I would normally have said I would be the first to die, but I've been in a couple of instances where my reflexes acted very quickly and my body reacted instinctively, so that's why I think I would adapt to the new environment and survive, especially if I had something/someone to live for.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I would want to be the heroin, of course, the one that can see through all bull and does something about it.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Dragonsend wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:14 I would want to be the heroin, of course, the one that can see through all bull and does something about it.
Agreed!
Heidi

Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Dragonsend wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 17:14 I would want to be the heroin, of course, the one that can see through all bull and does something about it.
This is always a better option than what I picked :D
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Is there a funny and occasionally sarcastic, perpetually afraid side-kick? That role suits me well... Like Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger mashed together... :lol2:
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 21:57 Is there a funny and occasionally sarcastic, perpetually afraid side-kick? That role suits me well... Like Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger mashed together... :lol2:
Ooh. Ron Stoppable from the Kim Possible series would fit this bill quite well, I think.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I would like to be a complicated character teetering at the edge of good and evil, whose actions are always unpredictable. And I will keep people guessing my intentions and motivations. I would have something that everyone would want, say a particular skill, and I would smirk and play games and be an overall naughty, unpredictable character.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

Return to “April 2019 Genre Discussion”