What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Sahansdal »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 04 May 2019, 04:36
Sahansdal wrote: 04 May 2019, 00:00
Brendan Donaghy wrote: 02 May 2019, 09:30 Does it matter whether the author is religious or not, or what his motivation for writing this book may be? Surely a book should stand or fall on its own worth. If people think he has written a poor book, they should call him on it and say why they think this. Likewise if they think the book is a good one.
Sounds good!
Welcome to the debate, sir - no better man to settle a few arguments than the author himself!
That's my job!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 May 2019, 04:29 I agree, the church would not accept his revelation. I feel as though the author is not overly religious otherwise he would not dig so deep to find all of these secrets.
You would think, but I actually think it is his deep knowledge of the Christian religion that prompted Wahler to study Gnosticism. The orthodox Christian church indeed does not support most of Wahler's assertions. He discusses the reasons for that in the book. I believe it is starting to shift, to a degree. Wahler was a devoted Evangelical Christian in the 1970's in the U.S. He is known as an expert in the history of Jesus and gnostic Christianity and is well versed in comparative religion. I think his positions are thoroughly informed and his research is pretty interesting. To me, the fundamentals of faith ask us to dig into the secrets. Wahler is just one of many who have made this their life's work. Thanks for the discussion.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

The church would most likely feel betrayed especially if the author come across to them as been religious. But I think it's okay to be objective and to have a different opinion on a subject
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

There is a huge difference in being religious than in being a Christian! I'm no one's judge, but if I had to choose about the author I would say perhaps religious but probably not a Christian. I don't believe the church would be pleased! Without Judas, there would have been no betrayal, but without Jesus, there would be no hope!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 May 2019, 04:29
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:26
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:55 Having read that book, what do you think of the author? Is he religious? Is he a christian? What do you think the reaction of the church would have been if he is/was a christian?
I think betrayal would have been the reaction, and I think the author is way open to new ways of thinking.
I agree, the church would not accept his revelation. I feel as though the author is not overly religious otherwise he would not dig so deep to find all of these secrets.
I really can't tell if the author is religious or not, but I feel like he would have to some sort of belief in the Bible in order to have all these facts on the Bible in order to compare it to the non-canonical Gospel of Judas.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Ellylion wrote: 02 May 2019, 09:11
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
Pure nonsense. It is every Christian's free will to believe in those findings and what they may represent or not :)
Until the lions have their own historians, the history of hunting will always praise the human hunters. ~ Chinua Achebe.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I think the author is neither religious neither is he a Christian. If he were a Christian, he would receive a lot of bashing. The church would not accept such thoughts.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

I believe the author is Christan. I also believe he is asking the questions we all should . If you approach the Bible and stoies with a childlike curiosity and a informed evaluation, it may lead to these type of questions and others like it.
I would think the church would embrace his way of thinking and encourage him to teach others to evaluate the Bible themselves and come to them with their questions.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Quickstudy wrote: 05 May 2019, 10:02 I believe the author is Christan. I also believe he is asking the questions we all should . If you approach the Bible and stoies with a childlike curiosity and a informed evaluation, it may lead to these type of questions and others like it.
I would think the church would embrace his way of thinking and encourage him to teach others to evaluate the Bible themselves and come to them with their questions.
The author was responding to comments on this thread yesterday. If you look back to the previous page, you'll see that he states that: 'I was a devoted Christian for two years in the early 70's and since 1975 have been an even more ardent Satsangi with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas, of Beas, India. (rssb [dot] org) That's like 45 years or so. A long time. I have an unshakeable faith in God.'
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I think he is Gnostic and does not believe in the New Testament at all. Instead, he agrees with what was written in the Gospel of Judas. His writing is research based, with some personal passion tossed in as well. I appreciated that his book and his thoughts were organized well.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

He has Gnostic beliefs and seems slightly hostile toward Christianity. His tone of voice in the book also sounded pompous at times. I do think he sounds intelligent, and like he did a significant amount of research on his subject. I don't completely dismiss everything he said in the book, but I was put off by his great dislike toward Christianity.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I believe the reaction of the church would be highly unfavorable! As to whether the author is religious and/or a Christian I can't say. However, there is a difference in religion and Christianity. Religion can technically be anything one chooses it to be; Christianity is a firm belief that Jesus is the savior and the Bible is the inspired word of God. God gave us all free will and allows us to choose what we do and don't do, and what we believe and don't believe. I personally choose to believe the account of Judas that is told in the Bible. Without Judas, there would be no betrayal, but without Jesus, there would be no hope! Which is more important? That is a question we each have to answer for ourself.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:28
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:13
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:05

There is a plethora of so called research findings about Judas. They all contradict each other. I won't waste my time with this author's findings. I can go to original sources myself. My faith in Christ is not intellectual. I have experienced Him in my life. The author is very disrespectful to Christians by making claims about the end of Christianity.
I must confess you have a very interesting view on this subject.
Thank you very much!
Just wanted to say that I too have experienced Christ in my life both directly and indirectly and I find that anyone who is disrespectful to those miracles, they don't hold much sway for people and are usually discredited easily by attitude and the need to make someone believe.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 04 May 2019, 04:36
Sahansdal wrote: 04 May 2019, 00:00
Brendan Donaghy wrote: 02 May 2019, 09:30 Does it matter whether the author is religious or not, or what his motivation for writing this book may be? Surely a book should stand or fall on its own worth. If people think he has written a poor book, they should call him on it and say why they think this. Likewise if they think the book is a good one.
Sounds good!
Welcome to the debate, sir - no better man to settle a few arguments than the author himself!
I agree 100%. Its always better to get the real insight directly from the source.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Dragonsend wrote: 06 May 2019, 11:40
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:28
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:13

I must confess you have a very interesting view on this subject.
Thank you very much!
Just wanted to say that I too have experienced Christ in my life both directly and indirectly and I find that anyone who is disrespectful to those miracles, they don't hold much sway for people and are usually discredited easily by attitude and the need to make someone believe.
I think the author is justified in expressing his own opinions and beliefs through a book. No one was forced to read, and no one was forced to accept his views so let's just call his views his own and leave it at that.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”