Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by Sahansdal »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:28 I don't believe it's possible that one book could end Christianity...ever.
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:45 I don't see how one book could end Christianity. In my opinion, religion has far more to do with faith than it does with certain facts and figures. People will continue to read and hold the Bible in the highest regard.
No one said it would be gone in a week or two. But it's over. People just haven't noticed. Jesus never died for anyone. That isn't how salvation works. 'Jesus' himself said (probably James said this) that works save: Mathew 5:19. Paul was wrong. Read Doug Del Tondo, Jesus Words Only.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

WaryReader wrote: 03 May 2019, 10:36 Just an odd, interesting take on Christianity. I can think of about 100 other things that are more threatening to Christianity than this book, honestly.
Any of these 100 use period evidence that directly show a dependency of Gospel material on a reversal of original writing from another source? No, I didn't think so. This is the best kind of evidence. It was writing contemporaneously with the subject writings, the NT Gospels. Btw, no one has any idea who wrote any of them, gnostic or orthodox.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

frowngoclownfish wrote: 02 May 2019, 22:59
Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
I agree with this point. I don't think a book has that kind of power, at least not with a religion that has such a strong following.
I think Mao had a little red book, didn't he?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3097
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ellylion wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:51
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:03 What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
I really don't think that this book can put an end to Christianity :) I also guess, it's not the first one among very many similar books with similar ideas.

I believe, the Gnosticism got rediscovered not long ago and very many started some discussions and conversations based on these ideas. But Christianity existed alongside Gnosticism during centuries, so it can't harm Christianity and Christian beliefs, in my opinion.
True. Gnosticism has always existed. What is normally ironic is that teachings such as this may strengthen Christianity more than weaken it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I think he just tried to show the reality. There's no intention to attack Christianity.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

There's no end to religions as long as people need it. I am an atheist myself, but I consider it a privilege, because I think it's a sign of my life being fairly easy. For thousands of years people have found comfort in religion and in the idea of life after death. I think most people in the world still need it and still benefit from it, which is why these kind of books can't just erase their faith. That's what religion is about anyway: faith, not reason.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

I don't think the book has the potential to derail true Christians.Lukewarm ones maybe, because there are so many of us who claim to follow Christ,but we hardly know what he is all about.And we repel non Christians by our self righteous attitudes.Whatever it is that may kill Christianity,are the quasi Christians, People who believe Christianity is devoting two or three hours in a church,every week, and living life on your own terms after that.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Maybe he was trying to end Christianity or maybe he was just bringing a new perspective. Whatever his motive was, Christianity can never end.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Kibetious wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:40
Ellylion wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:51
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:03 What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
I really don't think that this book can put an end to Christianity :) I also guess, it's not the first one among very many similar books with similar ideas.

I believe, the Gnosticism got rediscovered not long ago and very many started some discussions and conversations based on these ideas. But Christianity existed alongside Gnosticism during centuries, so it can't harm Christianity and Christian beliefs, in my opinion.
True. Gnosticism has always existed. What is normally ironic is that teachings such as this may strengthen Christianity more than weaken it.
Absolutely! Christianity survived wars and persecutions through more than two thousand years of its history. I agree with you that such teachings only strengthen those who truly believe :)
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by melel_jo »

Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
This is a great point; I don't believe theologists can trump faith for many religious practitioners. Even Greek theology is still practiced today, and that religion has been treated as mythology for centuries.
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― A Game of Thrones
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that the book won't end Christianity, but may cause people to think more critically about their faith. Acknowledging the pros and cons of your beliefs I think is more vital than just blind faith.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

ShannonHBC wrote: 04 May 2019, 03:05 There's no end to religions as long as people need it. I am an atheist myself, but I consider it a privilege, because I think it's a sign of my life being fairly easy. For thousands of years people have found comfort in religion and in the idea of life after death. I think most people in the world still need it and still benefit from it, which is why these kind of books can't just erase their faith. That's what religion is about anyway: faith, not reason.
You bring up an excellent point! I don't consider myself religious, but I think that religion can bring a lot of comfort to people. This was especially true in the past when people were less privileged.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

There are plenty of books out there that use non-canonical books of scripture to bring up new ideas that aren't found in the Bible. I have seen ones where the predict the end of the world using an obscure book of scripture not in the KJV. For me, if someone relies heavily on these to make their point, it really brings the whole argument into question for me.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Like others have said, it'd be very surprising if one book could end Christianity, or any if the bigger, established religions.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Christianity is not based on a single story. It's made up of beliefs and values inculcated in its followers since their birth. Many factors play a role in whether this book will affect Christianity - how many will read it, how many will believe and to my knowledge, this book is not an attack on Christianity. Instead, it's only on the one story of Judas' betrayal. Therefore, I don't think a giant religion such as Christianity will be in any way diminished by a single book, however powerful its findings.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”