Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by ReneeBrown »

THarveyReadALot wrote: 03 May 2019, 18:32 I believe there's a reason the Gnostic Gospels weren't included in the Holy Scriptures/Holy Bible. The Scriptures are true; the Gnostic Gospels can't be proved to be true as far as I know. The Gospel of Judas is portrayed, if I understand right, as a Gnostic Gospel. Only the Scriptures can tell us the truth about Judas the disciple turned betrayer. And Jesus knew that Judas was going to be His betrayer.
Yeah I think your comment is true. The author may be relying too much on the credibility of the Gospel of Judas, which doesn't have the same credibility as the other gospels which were written as first hand accounts.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:14 I was born into a religion with a multitude of gods. I’ve always been curious about Christianity and its history; the role it played in shaping the world’s history. I gather that what the author deals with in this book is a very controversial topic. When I read the sample, it consisted of mostly reviews from other publications. Yet, the introduction itself reads like a research paper. I am curious about how mysticism and Christian beliefs are linked. I am interested in reading this book because I like having a healthy debate about many deep-rooted systems. I believe that any new knowledge that comes to light should be treated with the dispassionate eye of science and research and used for the betterment of humanity.
I wouldn't read this particular book to get an accurate view of Christianity simply because it is an unorthodox view of the Bible and the author uses a book of scripture which most Christians don't believe in or read (the Gospel of Judas).
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't usually reads books like focus on religion. I was intrigued enough by the premise that I tried the sample. Like others, I was also disappointed that the Amazon sample did not include any of the book's content, so I could decide if this was one that I actually would like to read.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

This book is definitely aimed at a target audience. In my opinion, you need a good understanding of Gnostic, Jewish, and Christian texts and history to not be lost. Even with that base knowledge, I found the book very hard to follow. I have read many books on different religions and perceptions of Christianity and the Bible. This is by far the most pretentious and abrasive book I have ever read on religion and theology.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I am a huge fan of the romance genre, so this book did not appeal to me too much. However, it does seem like a well researched book.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Ellylion wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:16 The book raises very interesting questions and shows well known events in the different light. I haven't read the book yet, but really looking forward to. I can accept the idea that Judas sacrificed himself or just fulfilled his duty.
Get back to comment when you are done. :) - The author.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Julehart1 wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:12 This is not a book genre that I would personally be interested in. But, it sounds like the book is challenging people’s peceptions of Judas and weather he really betrayed Jesus. It’s an intriguing way of looking at things. It raises some valid questions and seems to be a well put together book. People can really debate the validity of this book because it’s a unique perspective, but having discussions and even debates about this topic could lead to interesting conversations.
Thanks for that. The first ten pages, the conclusion and summary, another 10 or so pages, are in the "Look Inside" at the Amazon website. I hope you avail yourself of the opportunity. Then you might even want it! The Kindle is only $2.99.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I think a few churches would be highly upset about the challenging nature of this book, however I don’t think we should all just blindly follow what we are told. It would be a good idea to read this book and others opinions as well as the original scriptures regarding the subject of Judas and his history before deciding how you feel about this theory.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

There is also a spart of curiosity in my mind about the reason why this gospel of Judas was not included in the Bible along with the rest and remained hidden for centuries only to be found now in a time of turmoil, war, doubt and insecurity. Could there possibly be more to it than what us mere mortals understand? Is there a higher power with a hand in challenging what we have been led to believe for such a long time? I think the only true answers will be received in death.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

I also want to add that I don’t think centuries of religious beliefs, culture and traditions can be changed by a single person’s opinion. However the Bible does speak of false prophets and in today’s uncertain times, it can be hard to tell who is right and who is wrong. We should not just follow the pied piper, but challenge what we are told until we find true comfort in ourselves that we are being told the truth.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

I have to say the very idea that the Christian history could be based on an elaborate cover up is daunting in the least. Personally I don’t think the author is trying to say that it changes what Jesus did or even would have done, but is more based around our perception of Judas and his actual role in history.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I am brought up as a Christian. I am deep-rooted in the words of the bible. Although everyone has a right to their opinions, that does not mean that what they say is true. From all that I have seen while growing up and everything I have read about Judas in the bible, I think the bible is as straightforward with how Judas betrayed Jesus and he later hanged himself. Any justification for his action or an attempt to portray him differently to what the bible says, contradicts my belief.

Kudos to the author. He did his research and I am open to new ideas, however, whatever doctrine that will pollute my belief, I try to avoid. I would still rate this book 4 out of 4 because it was well written but that does not mean I believe or support the idea that was written.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I believe that the research depicted in this book is simply misleading.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read and reviewed this book and found it quite interesting, provocative, and informative. Wahler certainly appeared to have researched the matter well and offered thought-provoking arguments from his point of view. While some readers may be offended, they will at least be informed of what this debate is about. I read it with an open mind and was not offended. It doesn't change my faith in the least.
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

I haven't read this book. The title is really captivating. I feel Judas was chosen to betray Jesus. I did feel that if he was chosen, then wasn't he just fulfilling what he was chosen for. I would love to know the author's point of view and how the book comes together.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”