Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Alexander Villarasa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by Alexander Villarasa »

No book written by any human can end a belief system that has survived for over 2k years. The only thing that could end it is when our ego gets to incessantly push
the idea that we have become Homo Roboticus or worse Homo Deus. Jesus would be so disappointed when that happens because his coming down to earth would have been for naught.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Alexander Villarasa wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 20:39 No book written by any human can end a belief system that has survived for over 2k years. The only thing that could end it is when our ego gets to incessantly push
the idea that we have become Homo Roboticus or worse Homo Deus. Jesus would be so disappointed when that happens because his coming down to earth would have been for naught.
How much research have you done to assure yourself that there even was a Jesus?
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

Christianity is more than the book, it's allover the world, I don't think someones idea and the effort to make judas seem innocent won't lead to decline of Christianity.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

ernest mwangemi wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 11:21 Christianity is more than the book, it's allover the world, I don't think someones idea and the effort to make judas seem innocent won't lead to decline of Christianity.
I didn't make Judas seem innocent. He never existed.
DonnaKay
Currently Reading: A Portrait of Mommy
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnakay.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by DonnaKay »

Christianity is a stable religion and I don't think a book can change the foundation faith of those who believe in it. On the other hand, such a book evokes questions and makes the reader think 'what if?', but doesn't do much.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

DonnaKay wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 14:52 Christianity is a stable religion and I don't think a book can change the foundation faith of those who believe in it. On the other hand, such a book evokes questions and makes the reader think 'what if?', but doesn't do much.
Look only at the new evidence. - the Author
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

klballard wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:40 It’d be impossible for a single book to end Christianity. The Bible has been the most published book of all time while being the most persecuted book of all time. Christianity has survived Emperor Nero, Gnosticism, book burning, criminalization, Richard Dawkins, etc. One book might change a few minds, but it’ll do nothing to Christianity as a whole because Christianity isn’t about facts, rules, or a book, it’s about a changed life from a Person who rose from the grave. No book can counter someone’s experience.
Exactly; Christianity has survived a million so-called threats to existence, but none of them did the job.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Sahansdal wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 22:49
Alexander Villarasa wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 20:39 No book written by any human can end a belief system that has survived for over 2k years. The only thing that could end it is when our ego gets to incessantly push
Almost no historians believe Jesus did not exist, although there are a few (called mythicists)
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 16:25
Almost no historians believe Jesus did not exist, although there are a few (called mythicists)
What is the evidence, though? Bertrand Russell said, "Even when all the experts agree they may well be wrong." This is a perfect example. It is in my book.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Sahansdal wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 16:36

What is the evidence, though? Bertrand Russell said, "Even when all the experts agree they may well be wrong." This is a perfect example. It is in my book.
Good point. Usually it comes down to mythicists saying that ancient sources who SHOULD have mentioned Jesus didn't; hence, He probably didn't exist, and Christians pointing to ancient sources who DID mention him, and saying it indicates that he did exist.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:17

Good point. Usually it comes down to mythicists saying that ancient sources who SHOULD have mentioned Jesus didn't; hence, He probably didn't exist, and Christians pointing to ancient sources who DID mention him, and saying it indicates that he did exist.
Regarding the latter, mythicists dispatch tha a notion with great detail. There is NO reliable independent attestation of any Jesus of Nazareth in the extra-biblical literature. None.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Sahansdal wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:26
Regarding the latter, mythicists dispatch that notion with great detail. There is NO reliable independent attestation of any Jesus of Nazareth in the extra-biblical literature. None.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Sahansdal wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:27

Regarding the latter, mythicists dispatch that notion with great detail. There is NO reliable independent attestation of any Jesus of Nazareth in the extra-biblical literature. None.
Bart Ehrman, who is an agnostic, and one of the leading NT scholars, wrote a book on the subject arguing that there almost certainly was a Jesus of Nazareth. Doesn't mean it's true. Just saying.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 12:22

Bart Ehrman, who is an agnostic, and one of the leading NT scholars, wrote a book on the subject arguing that there almost certainly was a Jesus of Nazareth. Doesn't mean it's true. Just saying.
His "Did Jesus Exist' was a disaster. Mythicists pounced on it. Dr. Richard Carrier, an equally accomplished scholar, demolished it in his 600+ page "On the Historicity of Jesus.' There are others. The 'proof' is thin, at best. I think I end all debate. I have period evidence that the Gospel story of Jesus is a fabrication.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Sahansdal wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 17:20
10mile72 wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 12:22
His "Did Jesus Exist' was a disaster. Mythicists pounced on it. Dr. Richard Carrier, an equally accomplished scholar, demolished it in his 600+ page "On the Historicity of Jesus.' There are others. The 'proof' is thin, at best. I think I end all debate. I have period evidence that the Gospel story of Jesus is a fabrication.
Did you write a book about it, and, if so, is it available on Amazon?

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”