The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Re: The author's inspiration.

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

It sounds to me like the author wanted to get his ideas and opinions out there. The goal probably wasn't to fight against or end Christianity, but like most authors to put out their opinion and spread the word of something different.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I think his inspiration is to inspire debate on the issue and showcase his research on the subject. It's interesting and well-researched, I think!
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

nooregano wrote: 21 May 2019, 01:43
sri varshini303041 wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:11 The book holds some controversial theories but, I believe everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinions. There are always several perceptions of religious ideas and figures. Judas's character had so many good qualities but he was judged only by his grave mistake and his greed for wealth. Maybe, it was his destiny to betray Jesus, and we must accept that man's destiny has God's participation. I also must express, that I am not really convinced by the Gnostic theories present in this book.
Yes, Judas is always judged harshly, and I'd also say it's good to build compassion for the "vilified" religious ideas/figures, since I believe they are supposed to be reflections of what humanity itself is capable of.

You are right... Good and evil are all within us and everything should be discussed without taboo.
jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc »

What the author misses is that We know who "the one who bears me is" It is written in the first epistle of John 4/ [3] And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist.Already when this letter was written there were people who believed that Jesus was not God until he was baptized by John the Baptist. Then the spirit of Christ began to dwell in Jesus. They believed that he only seemed to have died but the spirit left his body when he was on the cross. they were called docetics from the greek dokein "to seem" But for orthodox christians Jesus was fully human and really died. So when Jesus tells Judas he" will sacrifice the one who bears me" He means the flesh that he lives in. in other words Judas will betray the flesh body that bears his spirit, the Christ from the pleronoma. Judas is only handing over the body that christ dwells in sothe cross is not going to kill him. Judas knows this before hand. If he meant Judas It would have been much easier to say to "Judas you are going to sacrifice yourself" you have to do some linguistic gymnastics to get the one who bears me to mean judas.
jlrinc
Currently Reading:

Post by jlrinc »

Sahansdal wrote: 10 May 2019, 15:08
Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:26 I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.
Cecilia,

I am the author. There was no Judas! I am absolutely certain of this. He was a literary creation to hide James. James was a savior, the one I think followed John the Baptist. (Many saviors makes more sense than just one, and I go into it in both my books.) This is the theme of the book. Did you read it? I have read extensively on this and spent years researching it. Jesus was, I believe, a composite character, assembled from details of John and James. There is zero independent historical evidence for Jesus. The New Testament is fiction, not history.
First there is independent historical evidence for Jesus

https://ehrmanblog.org/gospel-evidence- ... nt-page-2/

second I understand why christians wanted to hide james but why would gospel of judas want to hide him when gospel of thomas doesnt?

Third your idea that jesus is just a composite character just pushes the argument back some. If there was no evidence for jesus what evidence is there of john and james?

Ehrman is one of the best gnostic scholars in the world. Here is his take on judas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIXwSjyxe88
jlrinc
Currently Reading:

Post by jlrinc »

here is a scene from john 13
[21] When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
[22] Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
[23] Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
[24] Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
[25] He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
[26] Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
[27] And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

So if The disciple whom Jesus loved is actually James (He is ) How is he also Judas (He isnt)?
jlrinc
Currently Reading:

Post by jlrinc »

What the author misses is that We know who "the one who bears me is" It is written in the first epistle of John 4/ [3] And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist.Already when this letter was written there were people who believed that Jesus was not God until he was baptized by John the Baptist. Then the spirit of Christ began to dwell in Jesus. They believed that he only seemed to have died but the spirit left his body when he was on the cross. they were called docetics from the greek dokein "to seem" But for orthodox christians Jesus was fully human and really died. So when Jesus tells Judas he" will sacrifice the one who bears me" He means the flesh that he lives in. in other words Judas will betray the flesh body that bears his spirit, the Christ from the pleronoma. Judas is only handing over the body that christ dwells in sothe cross is not going to kill him. Judas knows this before hand. If he meant Judas It would have been much easier to say to "Judas you are going to sacrifice yourself" you have to do some linguistic gymnastics to get the one who bears me to mean judas.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

jlrinc wrote: 29 May 2019, 23:49 here is a scene from john 13
[21] When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
[22] Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
[23] Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
[24] Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
[25] He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
[26] Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
[27] And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

So if The disciple whom Jesus loved is actually James (He is ) How is he also Judas (He isnt)?
The narrative doesn't say he didn't give it to the "disciple whom Jesus loved" -- because he did. Judas and James were one and the same character. This is all made up stuff, the Betrayal.Incidentally, there is another, more reliable translation of verse 24. "TELL who it is of whom he spake" is the original. It means that Peter deferred to the disciple whom Jesus loved, and he was the higher ranking James.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Sahansdal wrote: 04 May 2019, 09:17
Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I am not to be compared to Dan Brown. I hate that! He writes fiction. I'm interested in explaining in the best way possible what is really happening with the ancient texts and what the Church did.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

My opinion is that his inspiration is to reconcile his Eastern belief system with Christianity.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Wyland wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 03:39 My opinion is that his inspiration is to reconcile his Eastern belief system with Christianity.
Rather, it might be the other way around. Eastern mysticism is very ancient.
Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading: The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine-forsberg.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Nadine Forsberg »

I think maybe the writer just wanted to share his views with the world, hoping they would feel the same.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The author's inspiration was to put out the clarity on Christian's perception about Judas. Which is really right.
"Uganda martyrs that were killed by Mukajjanga on the orders of Kabaka Mwanga, that we as ugandans and even international people come to Namugongo Shrine in Kampala on 3rd June every year to remember them," this also is the same incident as Judas. If Mukajjanga didn't do that, then we wouldn't know about the Ugandan Martyrs.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I agree with this, by taking two different parameters, the writer tried to live with both of them maybe together or alternatively.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

His inspiration is to know the truth. He has it, twisted or not. It is up to individuals whether to accept it or not.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”