What is your opinion on the author using the apocrypha?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Re: What is your opinion on the author using the apocrypha?

Post by Don Pwai »

Yes, the author was overly focused on the Gospel of Judas. I believe such was a dangerous approach since he neglected the other provisions of the bible. The bible ought to be read holistically.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Don Pwai wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 12:27 Yes, the author was overly focused on the Gospel of Judas. I believe such was a dangerous approach since he neglected the other provisions of the bible. The bible ought to be read holistically.
A great man once said (a Master, actually), "If you lose your keys on the street, don't waste time looking in the alley, even if the light is better."
AlexandriaDR
Currently Reading: The Murder of Mary Russell
Bookshelf Size: 1882

Post by AlexandriaDR »

A lot of the apocrphra were dismissed because of a lack of corroboration in other, accepted books. I think the author's reliance on a gnostic gospel will greatly weaken, if not completely dismiss, his argument with a Christian audience, because Christians believe these books to be false or at least unfounded. Still, from a historical or even perhaps a philosophical perspective, i think some readers would it just as valid a source as any other religious text and therefore, it would not hurt his argument.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

AlexandriaDR wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 12:47 A lot of the apocrphra were dismissed because of a lack of corroboration in other, accepted books. I think the author's reliance on a gnostic gospel will greatly weaken, if not completely dismiss, his argument with a Christian audience, because Christians believe these books to be false or at least unfounded. Still, from a historical or even perhaps a philosophical perspective, i think some readers would it just as valid a source as any other religious text and therefore, it would not hurt his argument.
I think the whole idea of my book is that it doesn't matter WHAT one 'thinks' of the apocrypha or gnostic texts. The case is that there IS a correlation to the canon and that it can only be one-way: the gnostics gave birth to the canon. Did you see that? I am not asking if you necessarily agree, just if you got that. I believe I present good evidence for why. No Gnostic would ever borrow from an orthodox story of human sacrifice.

I am asking everyone to review on Amazon. I'm OK if not 5 star. But... ')
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15246 ... 5K32J6D6Y1
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

May it be fiction or nonfiction, there are a lot of books which uses Bible stories. I don't mind if the author uses the "Gospel of Judas" to prove his point. After all, it depends upon the readers to believe and accept his beliefs or disagree with them.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

supernatural143 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 00:10 May it be fiction or nonfiction, there are a lot of books which uses Bible stories. I don't mind if the author uses the "Gospel of Judas" to prove his point. After all, it depends upon the readers to believe and accept his beliefs or disagree with them.
If you read it, would you consider a review on Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15246 ... 5K32J6D6Y1
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

For a gnostic, there's no problem with relying on books from the apocrypha; for conservative Christians, however, there's a big problem, as they feel those books are not reliable. 8)
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:11 For a gnostic, there's no problem with relying on books from the apocrypha; for conservative Christians, however, there's a big problem, as they feel those books are not reliable. 8)
Isn't that convenient. I don't like what other books say, so only mine is correct. That's what Christians believe. Without reason.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Sahansdal wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 15:02
10mile72 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 11:11 For a gnostic, there's no problem with relying on books from the apocrypha; for conservative Christians, however, there's a big problem, as they feel those books are not reliable. 8)
Isn't that convenient. I don't like what other books say, so only mine is correct. That's what Christians believe. Without reason.
That is convenient, I wonder what the criteria is?
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

10mile72 wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 15:28
Sahansdal wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 15:02
I will tell you what mine is. DO THE TEACHINGS MAKE SENSE? Why was anyone born to die BEFORE.Jesus was born, never to see or hear of him as savior for all? All true Masters, like gnostic ones, have predecessors.

That is convenient, I wonder what the criteria is?
Aftab Yunis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The fourth Dimension
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aftab-yunis-hakim.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Aftab Yunis »

The dire need in this phenomenon is to look at the four Gospels in the Bible that are harmonize with one claim that Jesus died for our sins, rose from the dead and sitteth at the right hand of Father the almighty. Furthermore, in this perspective whenever we come to understand anything from the Bible we always see what does the whole Bible say for any particular topic, this is how we develop our theology looking at the entire Bible. So, how comes Gospel of Judas can take the canonical position without harmonizing it with the whole Bible? This is the reason the writer is heavily relying on this resource alone because he could not find any evidence from the Canon. Thus, to consider this Gospel part of Canon itself is wrong to imagine.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

What??? Didn't you read the whole book? I quote my OWN Master, for heaven's sake. Charan Singh can 'harmonize' the teachings with all traditions EXCEPT the phony one, which is orthodox Christianity. The OLD Testament is just fine. It is TRUE. Christians misuse it to justify their false teaching. Read Douglas Del Tondo, Jesus Words Only. He has a website where you can read what a Christian says about this! Paul is the "Spouter of Lying" (Dead Sea Scrolls). Jesus 'himself' condemns his teachings in numerous passages. I cite them in another book I wrote, The Bible Says Saviors - Obadiah 1:21. Paul is the "ravening wolf" of Genesis 47, I think it is. He is cited by Jesus as a false prophet in Matthew 24 and Revelation 2:14, etc. Read Del Tondo! And also Dr. Robert Eisenman, of Dead Sea Scrolls discovery fame. He knows the Pauling teachings are phony. His work extensively proves how it corrupted the teachings.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Lhisa wrote: 08 May 2019, 15:08 I have mixed feelings about the author's use of apocrypha in the books. As many of you have mentioned, many books were omitted from the Bible and if they are true works then it would be an injustice not to include them and use them as evidence to answer questions that many Christians have. On the other hand however, there is the possibility that these works were not inspired by God. In the case that this is true, it would make all his arguments equivalent to a house built upon sand.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”