Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by briellejee »

Helena91 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 23:27 I totally agree with y'all on Cynthia's flawed character but hey, she is young and probably not very sure of what she want yet. The problem I have with her character is that considering her position, I expected better.
But then, however young she is, I don't think her flaws contributed to the depth of her character, which I believe the reason why people don't like her. However, I agree with you. Considering her position and the way the author introduced her character from the start, she should've been more developed as one of the main casts.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

eiholmes16 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:00 I definitely had concerns about Cynthia's character, but was more focused on the disconnect between her extremely thorough professionalism in the Senator's office and with his security and her lackadaisical attitude toward her own safety. She went home with Sky the afternoon that she met him, which we can call a romantic or even lustful whim. However, why wasn't she concerned when he had a cup of coffee brewed and waiting for her in her own apartment the very next morning? Or how he knew where she lived the night they first met? There are way too many red flags about Sky for a trained security expert to not notice. I was disappointed that there was so much incongruence in her story.
Ha! Glad that you brought this up. Any person with security as a profession would be much more cautious and would probably be the one who would stalk and find out things about Sky rather than the other way around. It's like she liked being treated that way by a swooned stranger. I don't get her character at all.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Nisha Ward wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 12:48
Helena91 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 23:27 I totally agree with y'all on Cynthia's flawed character but hey, she is young and probably not very sure of what she want yet. The problem I have with her character is that considering her position, I expected better.
While I agree that Cynthia's youth could contribute to this, I wouldn't use it to excuse it entirely. The problem is that as a character she's completely flat and inconsistent with no real arc. It's a shame because the stuff you pointed out could have been used to great effect had it been done differently.
I do agree with this. The inconsistency with her character was the real problem and not her personality.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

allbooked+ wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:25 I just couldn't get past her impressive position as Head of Security for a U.S. Senator (even though a family friend it seems) and her excessively irresponsible behavior. The two don't go together - it seemed like the author had a story in mind and just placed characters into it without considering the type of person that character needed to be.
I think that's a clear explanation of why the characters seemed off and inconsistent. And all these subplots with the characters seemed to have no connection to the story.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 03:11
allbooked+ wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:25 I just couldn't get past her impressive position as Head of Security for a U.S. Senator (even though a family friend it seems) and her excessively irresponsible behavior. The two don't go together - it seemed like the author had a story in mind and just placed characters into it without considering the type of person that character needed to be.
I think that's a clear explanation of why the characters seemed off and inconsistent. And all these subplots with the characters seemed to have no connection to the story.
I agree with this. Like, she placed the nerds in the cyber war story but they didn't quite fit because of the dissonance between what they knew and what's realistic with people who have their qualifications.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

briellejee wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 03:07
eiholmes16 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:00 I definitely had concerns about Cynthia's character, but was more focused on the disconnect between her extremely thorough professionalism in the Senator's office and with his security and her lackadaisical attitude toward her own safety. She went home with Sky the afternoon that she met him, which we can call a romantic or even lustful whim. However, why wasn't she concerned when he had a cup of coffee brewed and waiting for her in her own apartment the very next morning? Or how he knew where she lived the night they first met? There are way too many red flags about Sky for a trained security expert to not notice. I was disappointed that there was so much incongruence in her story.
Ha! Glad that you brought this up. Any person with security as a profession would be much more cautious and would probably be the one who would stalk and find out things about Sky rather than the other way around. It's like she liked being treated that way by a swooned stranger. I don't get her character at all.
Yeah. A lot of things that should have set off her intuition just didn't, and it made Cynthia look deeply unqualified for her job if that was how she was about her own security.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I didn't care for Cynthia right from the start. She's not consistent and does some illogical things just for the sake of the story. She doesn't make sense.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I think Cynthia is sincere in her feelings for Dan only that she is the kind of people who have a lopsided view on romance - thinking its probably ok as long as you don't get caught.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Cynthia's character for me is not as strong as i thought a protagonist could be embodied. My standsrds seem to be a little high for this kind of story and she didn't make the cut. There is a wonderful storyline here but the leading lady was written to be confused. Doesn't bag an award for me.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Yeah I think she was supposed to be a "strong, female character", but I ended up feeling that she lacked emotional depth.
NathalyM
Currently Reading: Two of a kind
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathalym.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by NathalyM »

I've only read a couple of chapters (I'm not sure if I'll finish it, maybe I'll skim a bit) and so far I haven't liked Cynthia one bit, she feels a lot like one of those supposedly strong females from paranormal romance books that need to be rescued every two seconds... and most of the posts here tell me is not going to get better.

I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous, why would a supposedly smart woman simply trust some stranger that proved to be quite good at stalking? why is she suddenly crying about her angry boyfriend when she just cheated on him and showed no remorse? I especially hate when we are told something about a character (she has this super-important job! she is very smart!) and then shown something completely different.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Cynthia may have just been bored with her relationship with Dan and was not really attracted to him. Out of convenience, she may have kept dating him. She probably should have been honest about how she felt long ago. As far as her character for her job, she seemed able and unafraid to get involved in cyber warfare. She put together a team and had her brother's resources to take down some terrorist websites and wreak havoc with their communication.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I definitely agree. To me, Cynthia's character was very underdeveloped and too often I questioned her actions. The cheating rubbed me the wrong way, and her general nativity and simple mindedness bothered me too. Wish the author had spent more time on properly developing her
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

briellejee wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 11:12
BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:01
briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 22:55 Yes, I do share the same sentiments about Cynthia's character. Not just her though, but I do feel these things with the rest. Flawed characters are only good when they are well-written. I mean do the flaws contribute to the depth of her character? I don't think so. It just makes her shallow.
I agree, the other characters lacked depth a well. I think Sky had the potential to be a great character and I did enjoy Glenn's character at surface value despite lacking much depth
On another topic, I just agreed to someone that compared to everyone, Glenn seems to be the only one likable and fit well to the story. I had a good first impression with Sky but then he keeps on changing like, I don't even know what he is supposed to be. Ugh. It was frustrating.
I had also commented on another post about how I felt like Glenn was the only character I enjoyed reading. And yeah Sky's turn from a man of mystery to a generic love interest was pretty disappointing.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 21:37
briellejee wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 11:12
BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:01

I agree, the other characters lacked depth a well. I think Sky had the potential to be a great character and I did enjoy Glenn's character at surface value despite lacking much depth
On another topic, I just agreed to someone that compared to everyone, Glenn seems to be the only one likable and fit well to the story. I had a good first impression with Sky but then he keeps on changing like, I don't even know what he is supposed to be. Ugh. It was frustrating.
I was thinking my favorite characters were the computer nerds, Tim and Garth. At least they had fun and got something accomplished!
Oh yes! I almost forgot about them! I must agree as well then, because I loved their dynamic. They had this chemistry that made them so fun to read about, I wish they featured a bit more.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”