What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by Nisha Ward »

Dragonsend wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 20:58 Good Lord, Cynthia was written with the mentality of a teenager and a very immature one at that. Someone brought up that Sky goes to confession yet Cynthia's character has no reconciliation of any kind. They have no conversation about Dan, so what if they had been together three years, he didn't deserve the courtesy of a breakup or the truth? It was just ridiculous that as a work of fiction that none of these plot elements were addressed.
So, the author actually addresses this in the end of the book where she says that Cynthia deserved to move on because Dan didn't propose after three years. My thing about this is that the cheating and what Cynthia wants isn't, as you've said, addressed in the book. She handles it so poorly that you end up not having any sympathy for her when they break up.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I felt like the romances in this book were underdeveloped and a bit disappointing. Insta romance is never believable to me and for the rest of the time, the relationships just felt messy...
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Okay well, I'd say I found Cynthia and Dan insta love was pretty cool. Just that, not anything else.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
Well, instant love in fictional books are somewhat believable but in real life, not so much.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

True! There were so many points in the book when Cynthia and Dan could have spoken and when they did go to dinner to talk about remaining friends, she acted like she was going to dictate terms. I thought that was also poorly written.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

It's definitely odd that Cynthia has no friends, like not even one. But what I find more disturbing is the insta love between Cynthia and Sky. I suspect the book was meant to be written that way but I'm generally not a fan of insta love and even when I do enjoy it, it has to be done very well.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I haven’t read this book and the reviews I’m reading tell me I probably won’t. I rarely love a straight-up romance novel, and though this one isn’t, it definitely doesn’t sound like one in which I’d make an exception.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

I didn't like the the character of Cynthia in this book. I think the writer has not done a lot of work on Cynthia. The character might be good for others but i felt it little raw. the love relationship adds more life to this book for sure (since its a romantic com. suspense novel) but it would have been better if the writer worked on characters . The twist and turns too feel unjustified at more and less convincing.
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

Cynthia trusted Sky very easily. Sky's character is very shady.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

They relationships didn’t seem so genuine to me.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Dragonsend wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 20:58 Good Lord, Cynthia was written with the mentality of a teenager and a very immature one at that. Someone brought up that Sky goes to confession yet Cynthia's character has no reconciliation of any kind. They have no conversation about Dan, so what if they had been together three years, he didn't deserve the courtesy of a breakup or the truth? It was just ridiculous that as a work of fiction that none of these plot elements were addressed.
I think so too. The author tried to tell us that she is this strong, smart woman working security for senator and at the same time doesn't know basic stuff about her own body. I mean come on. I think the author made Dan "bad guy" because he yelled at her which is so ridiculous and for that reason, we should say "okay it is okay you cheated".
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:16
I think so too. The author tried to tell us that she is this strong, smart woman working security for senator and at the same time doesn't know basic stuff about her own body. I mean come on. I think the author made Dan "bad guy" because he yelled at her which is so ridiculous and for that reason, we should say "okay it is okay you cheated".
The yelling thing always gets me. I think he overreacted but I think he also had a point. There was this whole lockdown on the capital and Cynthia didn't even bother to call anyone to assure them that she was okay? Not even her boyfriend or her boss? Really?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

aolayide wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 15:49
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:51 So we have Cynthia and Dan and Cynthia and Sky as romantic relationships in this book? What is your thought on them? How realistic and believable is their behavior? Do you find the reasoning for cheating acceptable? Is our mind as a reader swayed from the beginning with Dan being " a habit" and Sky being " gentlemen"? How likable or believable is instant love in romance books never mind that they are fiction?
How odd is that Cynthia doesn't have any friends?
Sorry people I have so many questions is just that I am trying to get the points that book is trying to make.
Overall I just feel that this should be just a romance book or just a suspense action book, like this is just all over the place.
Well, instant love in fictional books are somewhat believable but in real life, not so much.
The execution of this book is seriously lacking.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nisha Ward wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:18
AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:16
The yelling thing always gets me. I think he overreacted but I think he also had a point. There was this whole lockdown on the capital and Cynthia didn't even bother to call anyone to assure them that she was okay? Not even her boyfriend or her boss? Really?
Yes, Cynthia behaves like an immature teenager. I also think him yelling is probably only a "normal" reaction between three of them. As you said he was worried whereas Sky behaved like a proper stalker but I guess that was okay.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I thought this book might have potential if the romance and focus of the novel is seriously reworked because it lacked realism and believability.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”