Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by ernest mwangemi »

I found the book to be so predictable on what will happen next in Cynthia's life.
Lisyr
Favorite Book: Welcome To Greatness
Currently Reading: Rescue Her Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisyr.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lisyr »

I listened to the audio sample, unfortunately it did not grab my attention or interest in reading the rest of the book. The storyline is not novel. Based on the seriousness of the subject of cyberwars, I would have looked forward to reading a book with a storyline informed by a more factual account.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Although this is not my type of bbok, the sample sounded interesting and I know there are people who can enjoy the book, especially anyone interested in technology.
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

I have just started the booking and don't find it much engaging
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg
Emma Blue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emma Blue »

I agree in that the cyber war portion was the best part of the book. The plot was good, and the boys foiling the plot were believable nerds. I wasn't impressed with Sky at all.I felt his dialogue was totally unbelievable. No man I've ever known would speak like that. He had a stalkerish feeling to him. Dan also felt very stalkerish. Cynthia for a supposedly hard assed woman came across very ditzy and helpless as soon as she was around any man romantically. The romance portion of the book was an epic failure to me. I only gave the book 2 stars as well and would not recommend it.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Overall I did not enjoy the book. The plot started off interesting but quickly became tedious. The title is misleading as Dan didn't play a part in the cyberwar. I felt the characters were underdeveloped and I felt no connection with them. Cynthia was displayed as independent and strong but clueless at the same time. I found Cynthia’s character to be contradicting and flat. Another part I found hard to grasp was the ease of trust. Cynthia trusted Skye so easily!
The most likable parts of the book deal with the cyber war. A very real threat we face every day! I would recommend this book to anyone that likes technology and cybercrimes. Although I would have to caution them that the love story thrown in was lacking and distracting.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

If this book had more about cyber wars and less about relationships, I might have read it, but I'm wary of stories where immoral relationships are described and too easily accepted. I got the impression that maybe the relationships weren' t healthy. Anyone can reply to my comment.
rainee14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rainee14 »

I didnt like it and did not feel connected to the characters. It overall felt lacking plot development to pull the reader in. It was hard to get into and did not seem to be very central on cyber wars.
taylorferraro
Favorite Book: Artemis
Currently Reading: Helter Skelter
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by taylorferraro »

I'm surprised that a novel being one of the nominations for the Book of Month has so many negative ratings. I find it interesting that there is an anti-terrorism viewpoint, but a lot of people seem not to like the romantic aspect of it. Sometimes I find it unnecessary that some books find a need to include a love story in every aspect of their plot lines. Sometimes the independent thriller plotline can be enough to satisfy someone who is strictly looking for romance within the pages of their books.
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

I loved only the love part of it though not that much. A good trial.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It is not a book I wanted to read to the end. It doesn't call me.
Brnlan
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brnlan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brnlan »

I read the book and found the parts about cyber war and terrorism quite interesting. It definitely had situations that I found relatable to present day circumstances. I wasn't impressed with some of the character development though. It felt rushed and irrational at times.
bmfought
Currently Reading: Resisting the Bad Boy
Bookshelf Size: 418
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bmfought »

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. The plot with taking down terrorists is intriguing and could have been a great book. However, romantic relationships fizzled. It was not believable that she was head security and let everything slide with the guys. They were stalkerish and creepy and made her out to be ditzy and clueless. The way they talked throughout didn't seem realistic as well. Heading the "rated R" scene was childish and unnecessary. I wish she had written more about cyber warfare. Also, to have Dan in the title doesn't seem fitting. There was just a lot of jumbled up things, that I either rolled my eyes while stumbling upon or palmed my forehead because it didn't make sense. I would only recommend to someone needing a fast read.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I would recommend this as a book to read when you are tired or have a head cold and need something light and silly. The techno part of the plot is fun, but the characters are two-dimensional, and the romance bits just do not work. So I guess that gives it a 2 rating. Some people might enjoy it in some situations.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

From the reviews that I've read online, I don't think I will particularly enjoy this book.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”