Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Re: Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Post by Nena_Morena »

heatherashley7 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:58 I personally think it was Dan, this may sound far fetched but he did change her sheets so he had to see the letters. One of the letters mentioned the pregnancy and then he was in her bathroom and could have easily crushed the one prescription to mix it in with medicine. I think the author missed a golden opportunity to pin it on the villain in this book.

The situation as a whole was very hard to read after already reading about the Plan B and the second prescription. This plot line was HORRIBLE in my opinion.
I agree. When I read how Dan was moving from one room to another in Cynthia's apartment, I thought for sure he was going to find the letters or the pregnancy tests. After all, he is a cop, so he must be very detail-oriented. Unfortunately, this detail along with many others reflects the superficiality of the book.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
I was so upset about this too! I just became a mom last year and every time she drank it bothered me. Usually when you even slightly suspect that you are pregnant you immediately stop consuming alcohol because it can cause birth defects. I began expecting some kind of problems to turn up with her pregnancy and wasn't surprised by the miscarriage because Cynthia was careless about this. I did feel bad about the miscarriage because she seemed upset about losing her baby, but she moved on so quickly I had a hard time believing her emotions there. Pregnancy makes you very hormonal and very emotional even if you are a "tough" female working in security and taking down terrorists like Cynthia.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 20:25
cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:58 The whole situation was odd. I actually got a little upset when it was pretty clear to me with enough clues from the author that she was pregnant and she drank alcohol! That irritated me. While Cynthia kept “forgetting” she could be pregnant, I didn’t due to the constant references to it in the book. I didn’t like it at all.
I was so upset about this too! I just became a mom last year and every time she drank it bothered me. Usually when you even slightly suspect that you are pregnant you immediately stop consuming alcohol because it can cause birth defects. I began expecting some kind of problems to turn up with her pregnancy and wasn't surprised by the miscarriage because Cynthia was careless about this. I did feel bad about the miscarriage because she seemed upset about losing her baby, but she moved on so quickly I had a hard time believing her emotions there. Pregnancy makes you very hormonal and very emotional even if you are a "tough" female working in security and taking down terrorists like Cynthia.
Pretty much, yeah. I felt bad about the miscarriage but at the end of the day, it didn't seem like she thought about the pregnancy enough to earn the events at the Women's Centre. She mostly just seemed to forget about it most of the time and didn't seem concerned before.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I thought that the pregnancy was just a lazy plot device to create unnecessary drama for Cynthia. I thought the cyber war and the love triangle were interesting enough without having to add the whole pregnancy/miscarriage storyline.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I thought it did nothing for the the book sorry myself. A woman also does not forget she's pregnant. She may not tell anyone to have time to process but she doesn't forget and drink alcohol.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I think every woman processes and understands pregnancy differently, so, instead of generalizing that she drank alcohol when she is pregnant, she shouldn't be judged so carelessly
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

A miscarriage is always a sad event, and not as easily understood by those around the woman as something like the trauma from a car wreck. Including an event like this didn't enhance the story, it was just an overcomplicated distraction.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Jo689 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 15:07 I thought the pregnancy would have some significance or be a foreshadowing event that would lead to subsequent events in the book. Like for example, Cynthia's pregnancy, and unfortunate miscarriage could lead to something new, or be a source of strength in her relationships with the other characters in the book (pregnancy loss is hard for a woman, so having that support can do wonders and repair damaged relationships)
You make a good point. It seems as if after the miscarriage she just came back to work like nothing ever happened.... It did not seem like there was much strength gotten from this from the other characters. But at least she had support. I wonder if she will ever tell Sky about it....
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I thought the whole situation was odd. The way she got pregnant so easily with a man she didn't know. The way Sky showed up the next day with a way to prevent the pregnancy. Sky comes across as so prepared and organized, how did he not have condoms in his apartment? Cynthia "forgetting" to pee on the stick. Mike and his knowledge of miscarriages. I even thought the recovery place was creepy.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I'm not really sure how I feel about the pregnancy. The fact that she kept it hidden was definitely realistic but I think the miscarriage could have been done better. The emotions were definitely raw and believable but it would have been nice to see more growth from the couple.
s_writing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by s_writing »

I knew that she would be pregnant. I thought it was weird she didn't tell her brother. They seemed so close and he didn't know she was in the hospital. I'm sure she was in there for days and no one called her family. That seemed unrealistic.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 19:50 I thought it was a great plot twist. I can understand how it was traumatic and she wanted to keep it to herself...

However it upsets me how clueless she was after she had sex with Sky. You are a grown woman, and you don't know what Plan B is? :? It is ironic how in her work life she is so cautious and on top of everything, but it took her forever to take a pregancy test. No one is perfect, but still.
I agree. Even though it's supposed to show us how flawed, human and relatable the character is, some parts of it just don't make much sense for the current day and age.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

As a reader, we could almost assume something related to a pregnancy might happen since Sky came over with Plan B and those prescription pills to get rid of a pregnancy if there was one. This doesn't seem realistic at all. I can see how a guy might want to protect against an unwanted pregnancy and purchase the Plan B and that Cynthia would take it. However, those other pills make absolutely no sense. The book make no mention of whether Cynthia was taking birth control or not. I'm guessing she was probably not since she got pregnant. Either way, I don't know why she would have had unprotected sex with a stranger in the first place. But, I guess it could happen. We are all human.

As far as the miscarriage is concerned, I'm not entirely sure if it was portrayed accurately. I think it might not be completely accurate. I know that when I was pregnant morning sickness, while awful, was not anything like having a stomach bug, but I'm not sure if that would change because it was a miscarriage. She also would have barely been pregnant, so I'm not even sure if her body would have reacted like that. But, like I said, I have no idea. This could have been an accurate depiction.

Overall, I think the pregnancy didn't do anything to enhance the story and actually just made the characters more annoying. I would have preferred the focus of the book to be more about the Cyber War than a dramatized love triangle.
Saffron
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Saffron »

It was odd that she was trying to hide it, but that’s completely human for her to have behaved that way.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Lunastella wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:32
I agree. Even though it's supposed to show us how flawed, human and relatable the character is, some parts of it just don't make much sense for the current day and age.
Agreed! If you are going to play on human nature, great. But at least make it logical!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”