Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Re: Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Post by kali09 »

I feel like it was gratuitous and unrealistic. Maybe the goal was to show some growth or humanity, but I feel like it was unnecessary trauma for trauma's sake.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I really felt for her, her reaction when she found out that she was pregnant. It is very obvious that she wasn't expecting that. Am yet to finish the book.
Books are beautiful.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

maggi3 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 00:53 How did you feel about Cynthia's pregnancy and miscarriage? Did you think the events and reactions of the characters were portrayed accurately? Did they add to the story or take away from it?
I thought that it was wild and unnecessary and I didnt see the purpose of why the author included it.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

kali09 wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 09:24 I feel like it was gratuitous and unrealistic. Maybe the goal was to show some growth or humanity, but I feel like it was unnecessary trauma for trauma's sake.
I know right, the scene didn't even have any emotional depth to it
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

Though the pregnancy and miscarriage felt a bit unnecessary... I feel as though it made her a better a better character as she handled her emotions so well. This also made for an interesting plot twist
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

maggi3 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 00:53 How did you feel about Cynthia's pregnancy and miscarriage? Did you think the events and reactions of the characters were portrayed accurately? Did they add to the story or take away from it?
I felt this scene unreal. I accept that abortion should be legalised in some situations but this one was just immaturity. They should be willing to take accountability for their action. Also if some one had unprotected sex, because we are human beings after all, the first thing a woman will do is to test whether she is pregnant when she misses her period. But Cynthia did not care at all. It was unrelatable. These were flaws of the story.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I think it was important to the author to add the whole pregnancy ordeal as a way to communicate an important issue. I think the execution fell flat, unfortunately. A reasonable woman is not going to fall pregnant and forget that she is at times. Also, with the miscarriage, there were so many cringe moments! Like her boss being the one to take a lead on the whole thing, oh goodness. I didn't like such instances.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

The pregnancy part was the most uncomfortable and unnecessary part of the story. I still don't understand the author's intention in including that part. It only informed the reader about Sky's religious beliefs and his beliefs didn't add anything to the story.

However, it certainly proved Cynthia's stupidity. She is afraid of miscarriage/pregnancy. But when spotted blood after showering, she sticks a pantyliner and goes to work! What was that?!
sayoniwrites

Post by sayoniwrites »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 10:31
I felt the whole pregnancy part of the book was ridiculous. There were too many inconsistencies, and the whole situation didn't add anything to the book. The book would've been better without that part of the storyline.
So true!
sayoniwrites

Post by sayoniwrites »

Shelly Caetano wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:32 I thought this was a very peculiar subplot that took away from the story. What was even stranger to me was how Mike was the expert on the subject. I found it peculiar that a woman, who knew she was pregnant, experienced very painful abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding and did not freak out but instead went to work. Overall, I think the author tried to use this subplot as a character development or growth tool. In my opinion, it did not quite hit the mark.
Right! She did not get scared when she spotted blood! What woman on earth would do that! It didn't add anything to the story or even to Cynthia's love life. I felt like it was forcefully added without any thinking.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I thought the whole plot point and all the character’s reactions were clumsily done and just lacked realism for such an intense topic .
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Everything was odd. Sky telling Cynthia to take post-sex and pregnancy pills was also odd. In fact, the miscarriage happened out of the blue too. I didn't like that.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

I never liked the whole pregnancy thing. It sounded so odd. At some point while reading i totally forgot Cynthia was pregnant then suddenly the miscarriage. The whole story was so fast.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I felt that the whole pregnancy part were out of the story line,it didn't remove or add anything to the book
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

It was interesting though but just as an additional read. It won't change anything about the book if not written.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”