What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Kaylee123 wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 11:10 I didn't trust Sky from the start. His "gentlemanly" behavior seemed suspicious. He came across as creepy and stalkery to me. He also seemed controlling, especially when he brought Cynthia the birth control items. I was disappointed that Cynthia liked him so much.
Controlling indeed and, as a previous reviewer had said, condescending toward Cynthia to a great degree. And that's in addition to being creepy. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Crazyreader01 wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 13:06
Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
I think you just about summed up the guy perfectly. But maybe it was because he was so puzzling that he became so attractive.
The quintessential man of mystery? I'm not sure he had the depth to pull that off, but it's possible. Thanks for passing by and sharing your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

OliviaLouise wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:52 It is possible that Sky was being used by the author as a sort of universal foil, but I read more into it. I felt like the author was trying to capture the ordinary fickleness of men who behave like this. Sky set a standard and as long as the object of his interest complied, everything was copacetic.
What...men...fickle? * le gasp* surely not! :o Compliance did seem to be what he wanted though. Thanks for passing by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

I didn't focus on Sky, so I can't say much about him.
arielkiaira_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by arielkiaira_ »

To be frank, I hated Sky. I liked his character when he was first introduced into the book because his mysterious personality kept me interested about him and who his character was. But, soon I started to see him as predator to Cynthia and somewhat like her stalker. He seemed to have forced his way into Cynthia's life disturbing her happy relationship and from then on proceeded to be very weird and problematic. And the fact that he pronounced his love for Cynthia within a matter of days only made him seem more desperate than before!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

arielkiaira_ wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 18:42 To be frank, I hated Sky. I liked his character when he was first introduced into the book because his mysterious personality kept me interested about him and who his character was. But, soon I started to see him as predator to Cynthia and somewhat like her stalker. He seemed to have forced his way into Cynthia's life disturbing her happy relationship and from then on proceeded to be very weird and problematic. And the fact that he pronounced his love for Cynthia within a matter of days only made him seem more desperate than before!
I think you have summed up what is being said throughout this forum perfectly! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 02:05 I didn’t like his character at all. First, the way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird. And she goes to his apartment with him. I kept thinking of a vampire when I read the description of him at first. Like he was going to take advantage of her and dump her. Then it was the long syrupy letters. Needless to say, I thought he was odd, and her falling head over heels for him was even weirder.
Perfectly said! I kind of felt like he was a stalker. Who falls for that in a big city! Also, who forgets to take binoculars on a mission?
mam_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by mam_reader »

I think the author intended his character to be suave and charming, but, he seemed more creepy and suspicious. I could not understand Cynthia's fascination with him at all and I could not help but judge her for it.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

mam_reader wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 14:35 I think the author intended his character to be suave and charming, but, he seemed more creepy and suspicious. I could not understand Cynthia's fascination with him at all and I could not help but judge her for it.
That's kind of how I felt too. The author seems to have intended him to be an engaging character but somehow ended up with someone altogether unpleasant. Thanks for passing by and commenting!
kristib44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristib44.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kristib44 »

The letter thing was almost more stalkerish than Dan tracking her. She clearly put him off and didn't want to talk to him but he wouldn't stop. And then the second she ran into him, she was running into his arms. There's no tension, barely a question of who he really is and why he hadn't told her, and really, I think he was supposed to be deep and puzzling but it fell short of the mark. Dan is very one dimensional and I can't feel sympathy for him when he tries so hard to get her attention, I feel nothing when he (only once!) goes to confession, and I know literally nothing about him for hundreds of pages. I think he's a flat character that Cynthia shouldn't be so head-over-heels about, were she a smart woman.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I didn't really like Sky's character. He showed up in a weird way in Cynthia's life. His character was predatory.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kristib44 wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 11:50 The letter thing was almost more stalkerish than Dan tracking her. She clearly put him off and didn't want to talk to him but he wouldn't stop. And then the second she ran into him, she was running into his arms. There's no tension, barely a question of who he really is and why he hadn't told her, and really, I think he was supposed to be deep and puzzling but it fell short of the mark. Dan is very one dimensional and I can't feel sympathy for him when he tries so hard to get her attention, I feel nothing when he (only once!) goes to confession, and I know literally nothing about him for hundreds of pages. I think he's a flat character that Cynthia shouldn't be so head-over-heels about, were she a smart woman.
Frankly, I really couldn't see what she saw in either of them. Sky was a stalker and Dan was milk-toast. *shrug* No accounting for taste I suppose. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Ghost11111 »

I had two totally different impressions of Sky based on what role he was playing at the time. When he was with Cynthia, he came off as this suave lover that rushed into things way to fast. I also envisioned him with a French accent based on the type of dialogue he was given. On the opposite end of the spectrum, when he was at work, he had the stereotypical superior tough guy persona for a high ranking military officer. He took his time before taking action on any important matters and always made sure he either had backup or complete information on the task at hand. There was nothing consistent between these two aspects of the same character. It's like the author had a list of characteristics she wanted him to have and just threw them together however she saw fit even if they were utterly conflicting.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I didn’t like how trusting Cynthia was of Sky. He was so shady and I was very uncertain about his character. I think that it would be great if we new more about him.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

RoxieReads wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 10:44 I didn’t like how trusting Cynthia was of Sky. He was so shady and I was very uncertain about his character. I think that it would be great if we new more about him.
I think we are all having trouble understanding how and why Cynthia trusted him so quickly. Honestly, I think he would have been much more of an effective character if he had been better-developed and if we had more background on him. Perhaps it would have helped us understand his behavior more. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”