Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by Prisallen »

I absolutely agree that her character wasn't that believable or likable. For a woman in her position, she doesn't think very wisely.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I think Cynthia isn't fit to be head of security anywhere, with the lack manner in which she handled her own safety. How can you be carried away by a stranger who drags you off the road in the name of keeping you safe? What if he was a psycho or the one responsible from the rukus you're trying to avoid? Then you go up to his apartment and spread your legs for him because of an impressive looking abode even though your car plate number reads "ILUVDAN." Wow, so much for head of security.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

I think Cynthia's character depicts that of the modern self-righteous women who think that they are entitled. This was definitely the image I got after she had cheated on her boyfriend without showing any remorse.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I dont lile het character. Anyone that cheatd dont deserve respect
Bretagne
Favorite Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bretagne.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale
fav_author_id: 3288

Post by Bretagne »

I was excited about the potential this book had to make Cynthia a boss-babe, but instead it felt like she was flat and rather delicate.

I'm not sure anyone in espionage would have behaved in the same we she did. :| She makes a point of scoping out her cyber war nerds and being at least a little apprehensive at first, but she blindly followed a strange man because he bought her a cup of coffee. It didn't really add up for me.

I had a lot of questions regarding all of the characters in this book. I think the author could have cut out a lot of the other parts of the story and had more success if she took the time to really develop her characters.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 12:57 I really don't like Cynthia's character because I believe she lacks common sense and she is insensitive to others. Anyone who would cheat on someone like that is seriously flawed in my opinion. She should have had the decency to tell Dan as soon as it happened, but instead, she strung him along.
I totally agree! Lack of common sense can sometimes be written as an endearing quality in a character. However, in this case, the lack of common sense coupled with insensitivity just made me dislike the character of Cynthia.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Cynthia ended up being parts of a character. The lack of depth and humanity in her creation left a huge void where there should have been real flesh, blood, and spirit.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Exactly! I love flawed characters but I appreciate when they're kind of unapologetic about it. Making her seem like a blameless victim after she cheated was just not the way to go. She lacked remorse despite proclamations of love for Dan, though she did refer to him as a 'habit', which does not, in any way, make what she did okay.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I didn’t like Cynthia’s character at all. I wanted to like her because she was such an important part of the book, but she just kept missing the mark. If she wasn’t so into security at both of her jobs it wouldn’t have been so bad, but she made poor choices time and again. I was flabbergasted when she just took off and left her keys in her convertible in the middle of an unknown incident near the nation’s capital. What???!? :o Then she mindlessly slept with a total stranger later that day. When I first saw Sky, I was very suspicious of him because he was too calm in the midst of chaos. That didn’t seem to register with Cynthia. I didn’t know much about Dan, but to have “ILUVDAN” as her license plate implied a pretty committed relationship. Apparently not, since she slept with Sky the first time she met him. After that horrible day, I really didn’t like or trust her very much.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
bbergin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bbergin »

I do not really like cynthia's character because she doesnt seem to have much common sense when it comes to things. Why cheat on dan and not tell him about it? I get why to maybe not hurt his feelings, but if you think about it really it only hurts him even more by not letting him know and keeping that secret to herself also hurt her as well and that's why I do not like her.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Well, one thing I can say about the Cynthia character is that she should have been presented smarter than they did. Maybe that way she could have suite her role even more perfectly.
Books are beautiful.
ArielKiaira
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielkiaira_1557554.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by ArielKiaira »

briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 22:55 Yes, I do share the same sentiments about Cynthia's character. Not just her though, but I do feel these things with the rest. Flawed characters are only good when they are well-written. I mean do the flaws contribute to the depth of her character? I don't think so. It just makes her shallow.
It makes her especially shallow that she dropped Dan immediately after some 'better' guy came along who wowed her world
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

Bles wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 17:39 Well, one thing I can say about the Cynthia character is that she should have been presented smarter than they did. Maybe that way she could have suite her role even more perfectly.
I agree the author made her so stereotypical.
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

MsH2k wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 12:21 I didn’t like Cynthia’s character at all. I wanted to like her because she was such an important part of the book, but she just kept missing the mark. If she wasn’t so into security at both of her jobs it wouldn’t have been so bad, but she made poor choices time and again. I was flabbergasted when she just took off and left her keys in her convertible in the middle of an unknown incident near the nation’s capital. What???!? :o Then she mindlessly slept with a total stranger later that day. When I first saw Sky, I was very suspicious of him because he was too calm in the midst of chaos. That didn’t seem to register with Cynthia. I didn’t know much about Dan, but to have “ILUVDAN” as her license plate implied a pretty committed relationship. Apparently not, since she slept with Sky the first time she met him. After that horrible day, I really didn’t like or trust her very much.
She was supposed to be this big, intelligent agent but immediately in the first few chapters she lets her guard down to this total stranger and basically trusted him with her life.
ArielKiaira
Currently Reading:

Post by ArielKiaira »

maggi3 wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 00:13 I agree with you. The cheating aspect really bothered me because it seemed like the author was trying to justify it. I feel like for most of the story Cynthia was just the "damsel in distress" that needed to be saved by others. I couldn't really connect or empathize with her.
Yes, I think the author made Dan out to be a jerk in order to justify the cheating

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”