Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Kyla-K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by Kyla-K »

I didn't like Cynthia's character for some of the same reasons. I usually like flawed characters. I don't like it when characters are always perfect, never making any mistakes or messing up remotely. This makes me feel like I can't connect with the character, and makes me start to dislike the character, as most people like this in real life are arrogant and unlikeable. On the other side, characters that are so flawed you're forced to root against them or are genuinely hurt by them are also unlikeable. Cynthia is kinda a combination of the two. She believes she is constantly on the moral high ground, which the author didn't establish as a character flaw, they more established it as they agreed with her. Her constantly being put on this pedestal while she was simultaneously cheating, and showing pretty much no remorse made me just constantly annoyed with her character and unable to put myself behind her.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Kyla-K wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 01:05 I didn't like Cynthia's character for some of the same reasons. I usually like flawed characters. I don't like it when characters are always perfect, never making any mistakes or messing up remotely. This makes me feel like I can't connect with the character, and makes me start to dislike the character, as most people like this in real life are arrogant and unlikeable. On the other side, characters that are so flawed you're forced to root against them or are genuinely hurt by them are also unlikeable. Cynthia is kinda a combination of the two. She believes she is constantly on the moral high ground, which the author didn't establish as a character flaw, they more established it as they agreed with her. Her constantly being put on this pedestal while she was simultaneously cheating, and showing pretty much no remorse made me just constantly annoyed with her character and unable to put myself behind her.
I can't believe she fell for all that in the beginning. I mean, what did she think he wanted?! And in the big city of Washington DC?!
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

I agree the cheating incident seemed contrary to who the author described the character to be. Granted, not all people hold cheating to be an unforgivable crime I suppose, but it felt like it didn’t mesh with the story.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Honestly same, I feel the character should be so strong where you can relate to it and can feel sympathise a little bit. But I hate to pity the main character and I just found her character very weak.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I think it's possible to have good flawed (indeed, outright despicable) characters the reader isn't supposed to like, but Cynthia isn't one of them. I don't mind complicated, morally grey protagonists, but indeed, the author puts Cynthia on a pedestal despite of her obvious failings and ends up ultimately justifying her actions by turning Dan into a villain. Never mind that Dan is just a couple steps above Sky in terms of obsessive creepiness.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

To me, Cynthia was extremely frustrating and annoying. She could be very stupid and too trusting of the men around her. What I didn’t understand was how she was supposed to be very smart, but would make very bad decisions that lacked common sense.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 22:55 Yes, I do share the same sentiments about Cynthia's character. Not just her though, but I do feel these things with the rest. Flawed characters are only good when they are well-written. I mean do the flaws contribute to the depth of her character? I don't think so. It just makes her shallow.

Very well put! That's how I felt too. Flawed characters only work is it's written well, otherwise, it seems like the flaws are just put in to make the character not a mary-sue. And then it doesn't come out as a genuine character.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I did not like her character. She made some incredibly questionable decisions (following a stranger, going to lunch with said stranger, leaving her car, cheating on boyfriend, ignoring pregnancy signs, drinking wine while potentially pregnant, so many more) and by the end I just couldn't stand her.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The actuation of Cynthia, the way she behaved in her sexual life, we might say, is "antithetical" to her supposed nature projected in the novel, e.i., a sophisticated woman, organized and technically oriented, being able to manage a security outfit. And now, she fumbles in the face of a "macho" opposition, surrendering in bed. Did I think willy females, the female counterpart of James-Bond-type character, should use their charms to have their way with the enemy, and not get laid? And by all means never be caught sporting the evidence, in case things get out of hand?
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Even I felt the same. It seemed like the author wanted to justify every act of Cynthia.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Web novel readers like me.has a term for that particular kind of female protagonist, we call her 'Mary Sue'. She had all the good qualities that you could ever think of and is always included in some kind of drama that resulted in her claiming all the love and sympathy of the people around her.
That kind of character is always protected by the "MC Halo" and is always in the category of "to be justified"
In anything and everything that she does. Oh and she's almost always partnered with an Alpha-kind of guy male protagonist ..so yeah i don't like her character at all
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Cynthia`s character showed that she was not kin enough to notice why, who,how,when or what certain re-occurrence(s) was(were) taking place in her life.Even-though situations differ they are similar according to one`s thought according to the review by Rence_Prior 1995.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I thought Cynthia was naive. Yeah, she cheated. It bothered me that nothing about cheating bothered her. I feel like her character could have been created better.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Areej Tahir wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 07:41 Honestly same, I feel the character should be so strong where you can relate to it and can feel sympathise a little bit. But I hate to pity the main character and I just found her character very weak.
I agree with you!
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

I don't really like Cynthia's character because she I find her insensitive and selfish.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”