Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Who was your favorite character?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Despite constantly facing unusual situations, a forgotten pregnancy, and running the war on cyber-terrorism, I still liked Cynthia as my favorite character and enjoyed what she contributed to the plot.
Who was your favorite character, and why?
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Hmm, I would have to say, Glenn, I found his genuine affection and love for Cynthia quite endearing. He is also quite pragmatic and level-headed which I think was a nice dichotomy between him and Cynthia. (I'm also just a bit of a sucker for good brother-sister relationships)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 05:56 Hmm, I would have to say, Glenn, I found his genuine affection and love for Cynthia quite endearing. He is also quite pragmatic and level-headed which I think was a nice dichotomy between him and Cynthia. (I'm also just a bit of a sucker for good brother-sister relationships)
Glenn was an excellent character. His progressive back and forth with Cynthia was entertaining, and I always love a good sibling egging on.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:11
BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 05:56 Hmm, I would have to say, Glenn, I found his genuine affection and love for Cynthia quite endearing. He is also quite pragmatic and level-headed which I think was a nice dichotomy between him and Cynthia. (I'm also just a bit of a sucker for good brother-sister relationships)
Glenn was an excellent character. His progressive back and forth with Cynthia was entertaining, and I always love a good sibling egging on.
Their first banter while they were deciding on who to get as a cyber guru showed a lot of back and forth.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 03:07 Despite constantly facing unusual situations, a forgotten pregnancy, and running the war on cyber-terrorism, I still liked Cynthia as my favorite character and enjoyed what she contributed to the plot.
Hmm. I didn't like Cynthia's character at all. She seemed fickle and reckless, an odd combination for a head of security. I'd have to say I like the Compu-nerds, Tim and Garth. They are the characters that seemed to have the most fun with their jobs.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
They were my second choice based solely on their usefulness to the plot.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
You basically took the words right out of my mouth! the computer geniuses were a great addition to the story.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:58
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 03:07 Despite constantly facing unusual situations, a forgotten pregnancy, and running the war on cyber-terrorism, I still liked Cynthia as my favorite character and enjoyed what she contributed to the plot.
Hmm. I didn't like Cynthia's character at all. She seemed fickle and reckless, an odd combination for a head of security. I'd have to say I like the Compu-nerds, Tim and Garth. They are the characters that seemed to have the most fun with their jobs.
You would think that someone who is the head of security would be able to hold her own ground, but she did always seem in danger throughout this whole ordeal.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 15:25
You would think that someone who is the head of security would be able to hold her own ground, but she did always seem in danger throughout this whole ordeal.
Right, a head of security who is lax with hervown personal security.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 15:24
You basically took the words right out of my mouth! the computer geniuses were a great addition to the story.
The nerd squad were basically more compitent and responsiblevthsn the protagonist.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 15:25
I think she was the result of plot-oriented writing.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Totally agree! I liked the nerd squad the best for sure. I also thought it was so strange that Sky went to church to confess his sin. Really just one sin!? And then he continued with the same behavior afterward. I really despised Sky as a character!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:50
Totally agree! I liked the nerd squad the best for sure. I also thought it was so strange that Sky went to church to confess his sin. Really just one sin!? And then he continued with the same behavior afterward. I really despised Sky as a character!
I share your hatred for Sky as a character. Confessing only one sin, one which you keep on doing was an antagonistic move...serial killer-ish.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I am starting to lean toward Glenn also. What with the banter he generates with his sister and being able to goad her-he's just a character I relate to.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”